Nick Cave: Ghosteen (New Double Album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Sep 23, 2019.

1. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Any news about new Nick Cave music is awesome, but new Grinderman!!! This gets me psyched!

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This is fantastic news. And I love the suddenness of it. No having to wait around for months after the anouncment.

:goodie:

3. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

So far I do not see a physical format for pre-order.

4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeeeeee-haw! I was overjoyed to see this news on Warren's twitter. So exciting!

Coincidentally, I had just a week or so ago reminded myself that Cave was supposed to release an album sometime this year and said, "Well, if we haven't heard anything by now, he'll probably just drop it suddenly, sly dog that he is!"

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I've said this here before, but Nick cave is one of the few artists who actually seems to get better as he goes - or, at the very least, has had no artistic decline at all. This is great news and I'm really interested to see what direction they take musically on this one.

It almost seems that with the sort of fall of the traditional music industry and label structure, many artists have stopped the whole "release an album, tour forever, wait five years, release another album" routine that began in the 90's and are just releasing whatever they want whenever they want. I mean, Van Morrison seems to have has turned into some kind of newspaper delivery guy tossing new albums out of the back of pick up on everyone's lawns every day. Johnny Marr is releasing a bunch of singles in between albums that are only a couple years apart. I hope it's a trend that continues. Releasing 1-2 albums a year from the 60's through the 80's never stopped some of the best artists from churning out some of the best music ever made. The more the merrier, I say.

I just wish Tom Waits would pace it up a bit. He's finally reached the age of his persona from the majority of his songs. He should be knocking them out of the ballpark. But I digress... Go Nick!

6. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I'm so excited about this but I suppose it will not follow musically the path of Skeleton Tree. So much grief has been put into Skeleton Tree, I feel it's time for Nick to leave it behind and go into another direction once more on this one.
    Anyway, it' s an instant buy for me.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Copenhagen Blu-ray might also be getting an impending release. Very well shot/editing and great performance/audience.

8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm afraid my knowledge of English is lacking here. What exactly means 'ghosteen'?

9. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

A neologism derived from ghost and teen would be my best guess.

vonwegen, Bryce and Echo like this.
  10. wolfram

11. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Track listing and run times:

Disc 1
    (Side A)
    Spinning Song 4:43
    Bright Horses 4:52
    Waiting for You 3:54
    Night Raid 5:07

(Side B)
    Sun Forest 6:46
    Galleon Ship 4:14
    Ghosteen Speaks 4:02
    Leviathan 4:47

Disc 2
    (Side C)
    Ghosteen 12:10
    Fireflies 3:23

(Side D)
    Hollywood 14:12

Total Time: 68:10

12. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I, for one, am extremely keen to hear these extended length tracks. Given the Bad Seeds' increasingly experimental trajectory on recent releases, I imagine they will be able to stretch out and do something quite interesting.

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Sounds reasonable and I hadn't spotted that. Ghosti is a proto-Indo-European word meaning guest/host/stranger. Now I wouldn't normally expect Nick to know or care about that recherché factoid but there's a famous essay in literary theory about that word and it seems to me that there's just a chance that he has that in mind.

vonwegen and mark winstanley like this.
  14. wolfram

So it's only a double CD to keep the two parts separated it seems. Not because of the length. Since it's priced like a single CD, I'm fine with that.

15. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Love Grinderman so cant wait. Only thing is it’s impossible to get tickets for his shows anymore, too popular with trendies.

mark winstanley and mikeburns like this.
  16. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Trendies? :rolleyes:

Definitely couldn’t be new converts eh?

17. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I'd think the chances are very high - Nick Cave has always struck me as one of the more, er, 'well read' of people in his profession...:)

mark winstanley, AZRunner and Sordel like this.
  18. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Preordered the vinyl with free poster from the swedish store Bengans! I will try to wait for the vinyl release to listen...

I don't like it when vinyl is released later than digital. It takes some of the fun out it not to have the full package on release day.

[​IMG]

vonwegen, mark winstanley and Koabac like this.
  19. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Also, it kind of implies/sounds like the term "Ghosting" which means leaving without saying goodbye. Sometimes called an "Irish Exit."

vonwegen, mark winstanley and DaK like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I hate it too that everything is not available on the same day!

However in this day and age, I guess it’s easier to release it digitally to circumvent leaks — while we patiently wait for the hard copies...

21. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Sadly the poster only comes with the vinyl if you order from Sweden!

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I agree with you here, some of the modern artist/bands tease and drop singles etc many months (if not almost year) before the actual album release (as sometimes even the album release date is not known yet) which is sometimes a bit annoying.
    This is just some observation but I feel like it and this whole waiting for the material to be released someday in the upcoming future is a thing of modern times really, as it was different in the 80’, 90’s and so for example when albums and tours were announced differently.
    Anyways, Ghosteen is cool and I just can’t wait to hear the album. Any new material from Nick is always welcome and interesting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    mark winstanley and wolfram like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yep. It is a continuation of Nick coming to grip with the death of his son...but I somehow suspect the music itself may be going in a different direction than the past couple albums...

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

When the cd and vinyl gets released later than the download I think the orders for physical product really ought to get a download on its release day.

25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I wonder if the cover is partly a deliberate attempt to get as far as possible from the stark, bleak functionality of the Skeleton Tree cover? Can't imagine how it could be more different.

vonwegen and mark winstanley like this.