Nick Cave: Ghosteen (New Double Album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Sep 23, 2019.

1. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I am sure you are familiar with the concept of sarcasm :)

The thing with the grief counselor...that is pretty much the concept of the The Red Hand Files. He wanted to share grief (besides his overall look at the world), cause thats what helped him trough his own dark times. And I agree with you about that "trendies" comment.

lordfalconer and mark winstanley like this.
  2. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Oh yeah I forgot about that one (suppressed it from my mind?) a rare mis-step which doesn’t diminish my hopes for this new album.

lordfalconer likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For the Nocturama dislikers, here is the fantastic, fun, final fling from the album.

Alfie Noakes, Wild Frank, SJP and 6 others like this.
  4. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I dug “Dead Man in my Bed” - kinda like a cross between some of the Abattoir sound & Grinderman. A kinda humorous racket!
    The title track that was a b-side was infinitely better than She Passed By My Window or Rock of Gibraltar.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

Are you a parent by any chance? The reason why a parent who has lost a child appears unsentimental in public is because the alternative is drowning in tears.

stever and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not a parent, no, and you may be right in this particular case but human responses differ. I do not mean that Nick conceals that the loss of his son was deeply felt: he was very articulate on the effect that it had on him, for example, during the filming of Once More Time With Feeling. It's not that he buries his feelings. But, specifically, he doesn't sentimentalise them: when asked by another bereaved father about Father's Day, which was the day before the concert I attended, he said that no day was any worse than another. It was one of several answers that he gave where I felt that he understood that he was under some social pressure to express his grief in one way and then disappointed (?) expectations by not doing so.

Nick's response to loss is not typical ... not many people who felt at risk of “drowning in tears” would stage an international tour of shows with an Ask Me Anything format.

Bryan Harris and fairaintfair like this.
  7. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I think we need to hear this album asap. The direction this thread has turned is bringing the party down! Not trying to diminish Nick Cave losing one of his twin boys but I am fairly sure this forum has been down this pathway many times already. If the album deals with it, ok. If it doesn't, ok. But the speculation and disagreement about stuff that is way outside of any of our control or concern is a bit hard going.

Turbo2k likes this.
  8. obi

obi Forum Resident

I'm guilty of this and I agree with you. Let's just wait until we're able to listen to the album and see for ourselves what the songs are about :)

mikeburns likes this.
  9. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

He stated that this is the third and final installment of what he and Warren Ellis consider to be a trilogy, obviously made up of PTSA, Skeleton Tree and now Ghosteen. So, I assume we'll get more of the low key atmospheric music from the Bad Seeds along with lyrics that will certainly be interpreted to have been written directly about the death of Arthur. That said, if you've heard Nick speaking at any of his Conversation gigs or read various chapters of his Red Hand Files, he has also said that he has been a changed man since the death of his son and he's insinuated that a lot of this change has been positive, making him see humanity and the world differently than he has in the past. I suspect that this change in attitude will have as much emphasis and influence on the lyrics as the actual tragedy will. Nick is a man of impeccable taste , in my opinion and I doubt very much that the lyrics will be particularly obvious, specially since he's been writing in a less narrative and less linear style.

mikeburns, Marc 74, obi and 1 other person like this.
  10. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

"Personally, I like Nocturama. I like that it is out there, moving around the place and spoiling things. I like it that someone may accidently play it at a party and people start throwing up in the ashtrays. I like it that everyone stands upwind from it. I especially like it that of the sixteen records the Bad Seeds have produced we only have one Nocturama, whereas with some bands half their records are Nocturamas, and with most bands all of their records are Nocturamas.

I think that in the end we all need our Nocturamas. Your Nocturama may, indeed, be the most important thing you ever do. Failure fortifies us. It moves us forward. It strips everything back to its essential nature and leaves us clean and pure, ready to begin again. You don’t create something as problematic as Nocturama without a certain risk and a little courage and the temerity to fail. I love this troubled record for that. It may just be my favourite."

Red Hand Files

LucaB, Lonecat, JL6161 and 12 others like this.
  11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, he strongly emphasised this when I saw him. I imagine we'll see less of his cynical side in the new lyrics but, as @mikeburns says, it's only speculation until we hear it. (Not that speculation is wrong or, at SHF, uncommon!)

mikeburns and Callahan like this.
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

For some reason I was disappointed with Nocturama at the time, but now really like it. I thought the material must have made Blixa bolt, never to return. That said, I still think the cover is terrible, when he had that bizarre short haircut to hide his thinning hair.

Marc 74, Callahan and Fletch like this.
  13. obi

obi Forum Resident

In my humble opinion The Bad Seeds have two Nocturamas; "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" is as much (if not more) of a Nocturama as the actual Nocturama.

14. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

It was impressive though how his hair had grown back a few albums later.

rubberhead and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

His hair being jet black is even more impressive

Jarra Lad likes this.
  16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Seems "DLD!!!" is not a fan favorite. When we did the Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album poll thread I was surprised that it didn't receive more votes. I always liked the album a lot and still do. The title track,Night Of The Lotus Eaters,Hold On To Yourself or More News From Nowhere are all brilliant,IMHO.

tms766, mikeburns, hutlock and 2 others like this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Dig... is a great album.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This I've never understood. I love Dig, Lazarus, Dig. So many great hooks and songs. Its a classic modern Nick album, IMHO. Loved the tour as well.

WayneC, Callahan, mikeburns and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

No disagreements from me.

mikeburns and Marc 74 like this.
  20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Bonus points for THAT MUSTACHE which I am sad didn’t stick around longer.

Marc 74 and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Wow. I know this is all subjective but Lazarus is probably one of my favorites. I guess if your not a fan of the grinderman sound (which it is wedged between) then it would not be a favorite. For me this is one of my preferred periods of the bad seeds evolution.

Marc 74 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I think Dig... is a fine album that just happened to suffer from immediately following (in the Bad Seeds world) his/their best album.

(I do also think it suffers a little in some quarters because it marked the end of his collaboration with Mick Harvey.)

Runicen likes this.
  23. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I dislike Dig, probably more than I dislike Nocturama. Never really cared for Grinderman either.
    :hide:

24. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

what is a shadow drop?

25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I thought it was in wider currency than it is but it's a term often used of videogames that are released without previously being announced or publicised. Urban dictionary has it as shadowdrop (one word).