Nick Cave releasing a 7LP B-side volume I and II box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Aug 19, 2021.

1. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

It's a pity that two Grinderman's B-sides are not included (Star Charman & Chain Of Flowers)

AZRunner and Callahan like this.
  2. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

I agree. There's also different takes from various Grinderman sessions that would be great to have on there.

3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

I am not buying this . Carnage artwork is fairly simple and minimal but is great , he could have gone for something like that instead of an electro dance type of artwork . As for Ghosteen , i will not comment

4. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

The art work is simply the same as the art work from the first B-Sides, volume 1, released years ago. It's stately. I don't mind it. It's the same font The bad Seeds have used forever.

BradB and CDlover like this.
  5. rubberhead

rubberhead Erotic Thriller

I pulled my CD box out a week or so ago for the first time in years. There's a lot of great stuff on there (including my favorite Bad Seeds song, "The Ballad of Robert Moore and Betty Coltrane," originally on the b-side of "Where the Wild Roses Grow") but there's no reason to own it on vinyl, especially considering the price and my lack of interest in his material since Dig, Lazarus Dig. I will point out however that the b-side from Dig, "Accidents Will Happen," is very good.

Luftveraenderung likes this.
  6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@Neonbeam
    By the way, I just placed preorder at Amazon France as got email from SuperDeluxeEdition and saw the current prices and AmazonFr has it for 126€+postages which is the lowest price so far.
    Nice to get both volumes in one boxset and on vinyl, as I only have couple editions of part I on cd but no vinyl.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    blewmaearsout, Neonbeam and Callahan like this.
  8. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Preordered 7 LP box set, I already own the part 1 CD box set but it'll be nice to have parts 1 and 2 together in one big, substantial box of vinyl, can't wait :goodie:

Rob Byrne and Callahan like this.
  9. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Yup Good looking out. I was about to order it from Bull Moose but looks like they filled their pre order allocation quick and now you cant preorder the 7lp from them. I was bummed then saw that Amazon France listing. Dont know if it was a pricing error but 150 bucks shipped cannot be beat.

10. rubberhead

Recant what I said earlier: for $150 I bought it. Sigh.

11. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Where did you get it for $150?

12. rubberhead

Callahan likes this.
  13. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

Well, there's nothing for sale, so that's good. Just giving you my interpretation of the cover art, and why I think it's perfect for the album. 'Electro dance' never crossed my mind when I look at the cover, it is literally like the file system screen of an old computer booting up.
    And the more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that anything more than this as a cover for an album like Skeleton Tree would have been very crass/glib.

I absolutely love the cover art for Ghosteen. As much as I love the album itself.

The cover art for Carnage is appropriately simple as well, although I haven't connect any meaning with it thus far.

14. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

The Skeleton Tree cover always reminds me of the Fear of Music cover.

MarkO, Phil Tate and Neonbeam like this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Mostly as far as I know, especially the recent pressings. I purposely sought out the Optimal pressings for all the proper titles reissued, they were mostly pressed really well. This was before the plant backups which has caused some QC issues. My copy of Ghosteen pressed at Optimal was perfect, also before backups, and it was the first time I noticed a picture sleeve custom poly-lined, which was nice.

Optimal is a good pressing plant regardless.

stefane and Callahan like this.
  16. Ghosteen is a beautiful cover IMHO One of his very best.

17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I ordered from the Amazon France for $152 total. Thanks for the heads up. That's definitely a fair price.

Also, just incase there are any QC issues, Amazon handles it pretty well. Here's hoping this set is done with the care I know Optimal is capable of producing!

18. toddohl

toddohl Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this one isn’t pressed at Optimal. If you scroll up on the back cover on Amazon, you’ll see that it was manufactured in Poland, same as Carnage. My copy of that album is absolute garbage (love the music though). Hopefully, they do a better job with this one.

19. AlfonsoVG

AlfonsoVG all shook down

As I already have the first set on CD, CD's the way for me to go with this one.

Luftveraenderung, obi and CDlover like this.
  20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just ordered it from Amazon.fr - not sure why it has the title as "Blue Whale" instead of the actual title. Did anyone else notice that?

21. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

This is good news. I really enjoyed (still enjoy) volume 1, so I’m definitely in for volume 2. I have the first edition on CD, it will be high res this time out.

Turbo2k likes this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good eye, I don't have Carnage because I read it had some pressing issues. I wasn't sure where it was pressed not owning it. I do typically like Optimal pressings.

Not sure if I want to chance it on this or not. I hate dealing with returns, though Amazon is hassle free. I've never used Amazon France or UK but have been meaning to get some albums that have a better EU than US pressing, and typically pressed at Optimal. These are mostly pre-2020 pressings.

Looks like some people received some good pressings but some bad reports as well.

23. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

A lot of people complaining about the pressing of Carnage. But I find it to be better than Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen. My copy of Idiot Prayer has a few spots with surface noise but it’s such a sparse album, musically, that some noise is to be expected.

24. AlfonsoVG

AlfonsoVG all shook down

Yup, seems to be luck of the draw, luckily my copy doesn't have any noticeable/annoying issues.

mikemoon likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Should be "White Whale", eh? :uhhuh: