Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Introduction
    A gentle and beautiful overture for the album. I love the placement of the instrumentals on this album and how Nick used them to frame the songs. It gives the album almost a semi-classical feeling, and it does place the album in the lineage of albums like Pet Sounds.

Hazey Jane II
    I absolutely love the "Hazey Jane" pair. Both are highlights of Bryter Layter for me. When I was younger, I felt it was interesting that Nick put the song labeled "II" first on the album. I'd only ever seen numbered tracks placed in sequential order on an album. But Nick knew what he was doing. "Hazey Jane II" has quite a bit of drive to it, with those chugging drums and horns that sound almost jaunty. It seems to me to be a song about growing up. You have to leave the security of your family and friends to go out into a wide world full of people (and pain). But he says to hold on to our loved ones and what they have given us as we forge our own paths ('Now take a little while to make your story clear.'). I like his repeating of the Jane character, as she seems to be bits of all of us (including Nick). It's a wonderful song.

2. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

Dear Lemonade Kid, it's always a pleasure to read your threads, your comments and all the information coming from Nick Drake's fans here. I was lucky to attend this small but lovely Keith Morris exhibition with lots of Nick Drake photos in London some years ago. I wonder if someone owns this huge and heavy book including all of Keith Morris' photos, which you could find at the entrance of Snap Galleries then:

http://www.snapgalleries.com/product/i-saw-nick-drake-photographs-by-keith-morris/

To me Nick Drake's albums are the perfect autumn companion. Scott Walker, Bill Fay and David Ackles as well.

Buddys Dad, alexpop and beccabear67 like this.
  3. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

One of the best opener (after the short instrumental overture) on an album ever! Too beautiful for this world!

4. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

Let's not overlook 'Introduction' - a perfect beautiful little piece of music.

beccabear67 and lemonade kid like this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It's the last album I managed to get and I wasn't sure about it after a couple listens, but it's grown on me over time like the others did. I think only Five Leaves Left (where I started) grabbed me at all on first listen, and even it not all that strongly. I'm so glad I found these recordings though, they seem more alive as time goes by, beyond all fads or styles. Even what I find a little overproduced on Bryter Later isn't so much a dated kind of overproduced. I think the Fairport Convention/Sandy Denny, Incredible String Band, McGarrigle Sisters, R.E.M. and 10,000 Maniacs recordings also have held up well over time as well.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Me too on those artists. I am guessing you have visited my Bill Fay, and David Ackles threads. Did you catch my David Ackles thread, and the post that shares a rare (only one I've ever seen) of Ackles appearing live on Swedish (?) TV, being interviewed and lip syncing two songs, but singing one more live. Very very cool.

Love both Fay & Ackles and yes, they are definitely in that Nick Drake state of mind. One more you may like if you don't already...well two more.

Bob Carpenter 'Silent Passage'..especially wonderful music in the Bill Fay sound. I have his privately presses album. Parachute Woman you would like this too.
    Bob Carpenter - Silent Passage - YouTube

Tess, 'Magpie' LP, this tune 'The Warren'...with lush strings and 'cello very like Nick Drake on this tune.

TESS - The Warren (from the album 'TESS - magpie' out now). - YouTube

Sergeant Pepper likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

8. lemonade kid

beccabear67 and PhantomStranger like this.
  9. lemonade kid

Bob Carpenter, 'Old friends'
    Bob Carpenter - Old Friends - YouTube

[​IMG]

For a variety of personal issues on the part of the artist, and the misplaced priorities of the music company, Bob Carpenter was never a star. It is not clear he even wanted to be famous, but the quality of his songs and performance surely point in that unequivocal direction.
    His works stands as an equal (at least,) with his contemporaries, such as Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Kris Kristofferson, John Prine, and Mickey Newberry. The depth of feeling, emotion, and storytelling is magnificent.

Bob is backed by the cream of session players, and both Emmylou Harris and Anne Muuray sing backing vocals on the album.
    This is truly a lost treasure, and anyone who appreciates heartfelt music of substance will never regret this purchase. -amazon review

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

Back to Nick...I get excited when talking about Bob..sorry, I digress.

11. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Been on holiday this week so missed the end of FLL.
    Well done drawing the album to a fine conclusion.
    Due to Island Records shall we say living the hippy dream, promotion was almost non existent at the time of release.
    Plus Nick was about to abandon the small number of gigs he did, forever.
    So sales were slow, but steady.
    But Joe, John, Robert & Nick were pleased with what they'd achieved.
    So another album was scheduled in, what was to become Bryter Layter.

An interview with Robert Kirby

George P and lemonade kid like this.
  12. lemonade kid

Missed you, BD. Good to have you back!

Buddys Dad likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I remember reading an interview in the french press in which Françoise said Nick must have had some real communication problems. She also said she took him to a Véronique Sanson show at the Eiffel Tower with some friends of hers. A reader wrote to the magazine that published his sarcastic message in the next issue, basically saying "So Françoise meets up with a depressed Nick Drake and she takes him to a Véronique Sanson show? The mystery of his death is now solved".

(Of course, Nick didn't die until years later, as that show apparently took place in March 1972 even if I can't find a precise date for it).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  14. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Thanks. I never heard that story. Do you perhaps have a scan from the article?

Dodoz likes this.
  15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

No I don't, I just remember that it was in an issue of Rock n'Folk from the early 2000s. I have to check, I probably still have it.

16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Found it, it's in this issue of Rock n' Folk.

"A cette époque, et je n'ai d'ailleurs pas changé sur ce point, lorsque j'aimais un disque ou un musicien, j'en parlais à tout le monde. Quand j'ai découvert Nick Drake, j'ai aussitôt trouvé sa musique géniale et je l'ai crié sur tous les toits, en particulier en Angleterre. Je suppose donc qu'il avait dû lire quelque part que je le trouvais fantastique et il m'a rendu visite en studio. Cela me paraissait incroyable, mais il venait au studio dans lequel j'étais en train d'enregistrer et se planquait dans un coin. Lui, hyper timide avec des problèmes de communication sans doute très importants, et moi, tétanisée par sa présence, c'était une situation plutôt cocasse. Je suppose qu'il devait être content d'être là parce qu'il savait que j'aimais beaucoup ce qu'il faisait, alors que ses disques ne marchaient pas. Il venait me voir, comme ça, de temps en temps, mais je voyais bien qu'on ne pouvait pas lui parler. Très peu de temps avant sa mort, lorsque j'habitais encore sur l'île St Louis, il m'a téléphonée. J'ai aussitôt su qu'il m'appelait parce qu'il n'allait pas bien : c'était une sorte d'appel au secours. Il a voulu que l'on se voie, mais, le même soir, je devais aller voir Véronique Sanson à la Tour Eiffel. Alors je l'ai embarqué avec moi en concert, avec d'autres amis, et je ne l'ai plus jamais revu après cette soirée. Quoi que prétende la légende, il n'a jamais été question de faire quelque chose ensemble - j'aurais pourtant adoré...".

Quick rough translation just to give you guys an idea. Those who can read french have the original quote.

"At the time, and I haven't changed at all on this aspect, when I liked a record or a musician, I would tell everybody. When I first heard Nick Drake, I thought his music was great and I let everybody know it, especially in England. So I suppose that he'd read I thought he was fantastic somewhere and he came to visit me in the studio. It seemed totally amazing to me, but he came to the studio where I was recording and hid in a corner. Him, overly shy with potentially big communication problems, and me, paralyzed by his presence, it was a rather comical situation. I suppose he must have been happy to be there because he knew I liked what he was doing a lot, and his records weren't selling. He would show up to see me, just like that, every now and then, but I could sense it was impossible to talk to him. Very shortly before his death, when I was still living on the Ile St Louis, he called me on the phone. I knew right away that he was calling me because he wasn't well : it was some kind of a cry for help. He wanted us to meet, but I had planned to see Véronique Sanson at the Eiffel Tower that very evening. So I took him with me to the show, with other friends, and I never saw him again after that evening. In spite of what the rumours say, there was never a plan of us doing something together. Even though I would have loved it to happen..."

So either Françoise got her facts wrong and she mixed up the Sanson show with another show, or Véronique Sanson has played the Eiffel Tower more than once. As I said before, I could only find a performance there in March 72, not exactly "just before" Nick's death. Of course, it is still possible that Nick was in a bad way in March 1972...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A very photogenic couple. It's sad there was such a barrier to communication.

18. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Merci beaucoup, Dodoz, pour cherchez l'article.

Dodoz likes this.
  19. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

FLL was Nick's pastoral album drawn from his previous life in Tanworth, Marlborough and Cambridge.
    Plans for the Bryter Layter album see Nick resign from Cambridge against his father's wishes.
    He moves to London to finally strike out on his own & commit to life as a full time musician.

Prior to recording Nick spent time rehearsing with Fairport Convention members, Dave Pegg (bass) Dave Mattacks (drums) and Richard Thompson (guitar on Hazey Jane II) at The Angel, a disused pub.
    Fairport were also at a crossroads following the departure of Sandy Denny & Ashley Hutchings

The lyrics for Hazey Jane II reflect his plan for a new start and a break from the shackles of the past...

Now take a little while to find your way in here
    Now take a little while to make your story clear.
    Now that you're lifting
    Your feet from the ground
    Weigh up your anchor
    And never look round.

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Okay, I looked more into it. Véronique Sanson has played several shows at the Eiffel Tower throughout March 1972 so it's impossible to know to which one Nick went. Véronique didn't play there at a latter date. So Françoise Hardy saw Nick for the last time in March 1972.

alexpop likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

A perfect autumn Sunday to post this wonderful song...so for starters, have a listen, and read the lyrics as you do.

3. At The Chime Of A City Clock

May be my all time favorite Drake song. Perfect for a soft autumn Sunday drive...my favorite Nick Drake driving album. The others seem to require a more quiet time, a solitary listen, far from the madding crowd.

At The Chime Of A City Clock

Nick Drake - At the chime of a city clock - YouTube

Nick Drake: vocals
    Ray Worleigh: alto sax
    Dave Pegg: bass
    Mike Kowalski: drums
    Robert Kirby: strings arrangement

[​IMG]

A city freeze
    Get on your knees
    Pray for warmth and green paper.
    A city drought

You're down and out
    See your trousers don't taper.
    Saddle up
    Kick your feet

Ride the range of a London street
    Travel to a local plane
    Turn around and come back again.

And at the chime of the city clock
    Put up your road block
    Hang on to your crown.
    For a stone in a tin can
    Is wealth to the city man
    Who leaves his armor down.

Stay indoors
    Beneath the floors
    Talk with neighbors only.
    The games you play

Make people say
    You're either weird or lonely.
    A city star
    Won't shine too far

On account of the way you are
    And the beads
    Around your face
    Make you sure to fit back in place.

And at the beat of the city drum
    See how your friends come in twos;
    Or threes or more.
    For the sound of a busy place

Is fine for a pretty face
    Who knows what a face is for.

The city clown
    Will soon fall down
    Without a face to hide in.
    And he will lose

If he won't choose
    The one he may confide in.
    Sonny boy
    With smokes for sale

Went to ground with a face so pale
    And never heard
    About the change
    Showed his hand and fell out of range.

In the light of a city square
    Find out the face that's fair
    Keep it by your side.
    When the light of the city falls
    You fly to the city walls
    Take off with your bride.

But at the chime of a city clock
    Put up your road block
    Hang on to your crown.
    For a stone in a tin can

Is wealth to the city man
    Who leaves his armor down.

Written by Nick Drake • Copyright © BMG Rights Management

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    EddieMann, beccabear67 and George P like this.
  22. lemonade kid

The leaves are changing, the road winds through the Maine countryside...nothing sweeter for a Sunday drive than to go winding through the hills of Maine with 'At The Chime Of A City Clock' softly playing...

[​IMG]

23. lemonade kid

Or with the song in your head as you walk in the Maine woods...some photos from a trip to Moxie Falls

[​IMG]

24. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Beautiful photos, @lemonade kid ! It still feels like summer where I am. 80 degrees and sunny today. :sigh: I'm not a summer person at all and I'm counting the days until it starts to really feel like autumn!

At the Chime of the City Clock
    I agree, this is a wonderful song for driving. It has some real movement to it. I love the string arrangement and Worleigh's alto sax is fantastic. I think it's the perfect ingredient for this particular composition. 'At the Chime of the City Clock' seems an incredibly Nick Drake kind of song, discussing how moving into an urban life can be psychologically difficult and that we need some 'armor' to protect ourselves. But he doesn't speak poorly about urban life either. He's just honest, and I agree with him. I love being in the country myself. I think this is one of the strongest songs on this album. A wonderful composition with a wonderful arrangement. It deserved to get some attention for Nick during his lifetime, but alas...

lemonade kid and beccabear67 like this.
  25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I was turned on to Nick Drake's music in the early 1970's. I had the Pink Moon album and loved it. I later obtained a European pressing of Five Leaves Left and thought what a fantastic "unknown" record and performer he was. I was never a fan of Bryter Layter, but later began to appreciate some of it's better moments. My personal theory regarding the obscurity of Nick's music rests in my belief that he may have sounded too much like Donovan and by the early 1970's, Donovan's music was beginning to fall out of favor with the larger listening audience.

You have to sort of put your mind back there at that time to visualize what was going on. Aside from Nick's well published personal problems, it may have had more to do with bad timing and that his music was headed for a connection with a later generation of music lovers. I won't comment individually on Nick's songs because they all have there own unique qualities.

alexpop, Dodoz and beccabear67 like this.