Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Welcome, dig deep, take your time, you have written some lovely words already.

I had that copy of mojo too, kept in a dust jacket. I hope I have it scanned and stored somewhere. It is a great display of how well Mojo appreciated Nick Drake, with about 4 dedication issues thus far!

Anyway, this thread is a beast, which doesn't bite.
    Happy reading.

2. Icewater_7

Icewater_7 The universe expressing a consciousness

Just out curiosity, went into Amazon to see if any copies of the Tuck Box were still for sale. There were and prices ranged from $170 to $200. I then looked at the reviews and was truck by a 2 star on so I’m going to try and paste it in here:
    Tuck Box review
    Reviewed in the United States on January 30, 2014
    The music of Nick Drake is wonderful - the three albums released by Nick (Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter, Pink Moon) are wonderful, a rich legacy left behind at the young man's premature death

However, this new box set offers no new music, and, really, the previous Fruit Tree box sets (the first with FLL, BL, PM, Time of No Reply, booklet of lyrics & essay on Hannibal; the later (2007) reissue with a nice dvd (A skin too few) and (another) book included with FLL, BL, PM) are probably cheaper to pick up now. Here in the states the full retail price on Amazon for this release seems to be close to $100 from Amazon

I'm not really sure who this box set is being marketed to. Most fans will already have the lot. Why Cally can't just put out the off air recordings of Nick playing the BBC, or outtakes from Five Leaves Left (with the original orchestration previous to Kirby stepping in)

This set doesn't even include "Plaisir d'amour" which appears on a UK compilation import (Collection)

Its great music, but there really needs to be a Fruit Tree II with everything thats already out there of Nick, or owned by the estate him playing at Aix en provence, him playing Michael Row the Boat Ashort at the odd party, home recordings of "Fly" being worked out (Brian Wells had a few takes of the track), work tapes from 68 that the late Scott Appell had from the family. I'm just surprised they're releasing this material one more time, no matter how good it is.

3. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Very important post from you here which ties a few of our concerns together in a well worded case.

My opinion, it is either a rights issue, so the owner of the reel which contains Place to Be finger picked, will not sell to Cally for any amount of money. Same with others.

The Family tree idiocy is either a way to stop people from buying well made bootlegs, or Cally being a buisnesnes man before consideration of presenting a quality compilation of Nicks tender ouvre.

All you need in my opinion is the Hannibal Fruit Tree Box set on Vinyl, and the Made to Love Magic vinyl.

If you really want to get all, then there is one more option for you. Time Has Told Me Vol. I II & III bootleg.

Hep Alien, Pop_Zeus and alexpop like this.
  4. Icewater_7

Huh, then I really do have a rarity in my collection. Way too far back there to remember exactly where, but either at a used record store or a record convention I picked up a cheap used UK version of FLL because I wanted one that was closer to the original source. It was only last year I saw a first pressing go up in eBay for several thousand dollars. The listing described the mistakes on the label and jacket that Nick was so upset about when the record was first released. Well, I had to dig mine out and surprise mine had the right Island label design and all the mistakes in it. Sort of blew me away. The jacket is worn but the vinyl plays really strong. I’d like to keep it in the family and hope my heirs will too. Have to curate it in a write up for whenever our estate gets transferred. I want whoever gets it to know how important it was to me and its value in both music and collector’s interest.

lemonade kid and sekaer like this.
  5. Icewater_7

Something in me is resisting the bootlegs, and I haven’t yet figured out why. I do have the original UK 1979 vinyl Fruit Tree and the Made to Love Magic CD. This gets me some of the best recorded and mastered analog and digital works. But, I’m still missing some recordings I might really enjoy.

6. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Understood and your resistance may well be morally correct.
    However, I want to hear Nick Drake at his best, so I will find it with or without approval from a company.
    Hope this helps.

lemonade kid and Pop_Zeus like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Isn’t the new Nick Drake biography OUT this year... 2021?

Narcissus likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

wow! I was wondering if anyone here had the first pressing FLL with all the cover errors! Can you post a pic..I've never seen it!

:tiphat:

9. lemonade kid

And the Fruit Tree box with A Skin Too Few. I don't have the vinyl Hannibal box (I have the CD set --paid $30 for it a couple years ago NM++) and the CD/DVD Fruit Tree with A Skin Too Few...
    I have very nice Island heavy vinyl reissues of the three. The Peel Session is vital also.

I do have a variant of A Day Gone By, 2 CD, with 57 tracks, which has most but not all...and it sounds great.
    Sorry "estate" but I'll get these any way I can if you won't do it!

:righton:

Invisible Hits: The Unreleased Nick Drake / Pitchfork

Hep Alien and Pop_Zeus like this.
  10. lemonade kid

Correct.

11. Icewater_7

Sure I’ll do that now that you taught me how to post photos. Need to try that anyway as I have some forthcoming in a different thread.

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I just want the Peel Session mastered well and re-issued on vinyl. That seems to be an omission at this time.

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I picked up a decent condition version of the original 'fruit tree' box from Hannibal/ryko a wee while back and I absolutely love it, I actually listen to it more than the reissues.

It also has the original compilation of 'time of no reply'.

14. alexpop

Elton John is getting an lost album recorded in 1968, released.

Maybe ... Nick Drake will get a fourth album put out after all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    lemonade kid likes this.
  15. alexpop

Weekend muse...
    What did Nick Drake think of his contemporaries? He wasn’t keen that John Martyn went electric( sold out) He heard Lennon‘s plastic Ono band ( don’t think he liked that).
    What about Bowie? Cat Stevens ( too commercial ) ? Zappa ... Hendrix ... Velvet Underground... The Byrds ?

I never read anything about what films he liked..if he even went to the cinema ?

16. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Italian musician Roberto Angelini did a Pink Moon tribute album some years ago. Last year I saw a very good Nick documentary produced for Sky Arte TV (payview and Italian only) which starred him and violinist Rodrigo D'Erasmo covering Nick's stuff, making a pilgrimage to Tanworth, even working with John Wood in a local studio. Here they are on Italian national radio and TV covering two of Nick's songs from the album:

Radio2 Social Club - S2020/21 - Rodrigo D'Erasmo e Roberto Angelini: "Know" - Video - RaiPlay

Radio2 Social Club - S2020/21 - Rodrigo D'Erasmo e Roberto Angelini: "Pink Moon" - Video - RaiPlay

Here is the trailer for the Nick documentary for Sky Arte TV:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Theadmans likes this.
  17. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Marco Parente ranks among the best Italian singer-songwriters since the late '90s (he had first been a wonderfully original drummer/percussionist throughout that decade). In 2006 he (along with the previously mentioned Angelini) participated in a Nick tribute concert set up in Italy that had Robert Kirby as special guest, curating the string arrangements and conducting. Some years later Parente seized that opportunity and sent Kirby a song of his own that was about Nick, to which the latter then wrote the string arrangement, which is likely to have been his last ever commission. The song is full of recognisable Nick signposts, both in the music and the words. The title means "Always" and the lyrics go, "he waits for the day to begin and be done / his voice trembles not when he sings of the sun / rising to a major chord, as if to say / when the night has ended, the day has its way / always".

lemonade kid and Theadmans like this.
  18. lemonade kid

For fingerstyle lovers...Joe Pug

Hymn #101

19. lemonade kid

Thanks....very nice!

I enjoy and treasure all the Nick Drake lovers here that also wish to share the artists
    you all love that are loosely or closely related, somehow, to our love for Nick.

Artists we Nick Drake fans get excited about that we share here
    ...always welcome..thanks to all!

I hear it here and in all Oren does:

Oren Lavie (The Opposite Side Of The Sea)

Locked In A Room

Max Florian likes this.
  20. Icewater_7

Here is the cover of my “first pressing” FLL LP that I bought cheaply at either a used record store or a used record convention I attended (just can’t remember which). Came to find within the last year that it is an original 1969 first edition. Recent sales of an FFL 1st pressings like mine have reached about $3500 and I just saw one offered on Discogs for $5491 by a seller in Germany. The total of FFLs sold in Nick’s lifetime could be as low as 500 copies or at most several thousand. What validates a copy as a 1969 original are several misprinting mistakes which I will document now in the thread. Bear with me as this will be my first time pasting in multiple photos going back and forth while in Safari on my iPad.
    [​IMG]

The first “mistake” is on the top right side of the gatefold. The “Three Hours” track here is misnamed as “Sundown.” But there is more, look at the last verse. It is not the one Nick used in the final recording take. It should be a repeat of the first verse. If anyone knows story on where that 4th verse on the jacket came from and why it went away I’d be very curious to know.
    [​IMG]
    For the next mistake we go to the song list on the rear outside face of the jacket. The titles for Side 1 tracks 4 & 5 are not the order one hears on the vinyl. What actually plays last is “Day Is Done.”
    [​IMG]
    Original editions of the 1969 releases are also verified by having what collectors call the “pink black block” label design as shown below with the deep inset groove. On my pressing the label for Side 1 does have the correct play order for tracks 4 & 5 while the jacket does not.

[​IMG]

A parallel production lot of first pressings actually had that same song order mistake an both the jacket and the label. That lot was sent to the London Phonogram Ltd pressing plant and it had “smooth” label surfaces. My production lot had the textured or called “rough” labels and was pressed by the Orlake Records plant in Essex.

The last known mistake is in the credits. Look again at the credits for Side 2 song 5, “Saturday Sun” The percussionist Tristan Fry’s first name is misspelled as “Tristam.” I did a search on “Tristam” in the Discogs database and found other albums crediting Tristan with that same misspelling. Either they made the same mistake or possibly he answered to either spelling. However, “Tristan” is his true birth name (October 25, 1946) and the FFL spelling is considered by most curators to be a misprint.
    [​IMG]
    I can empathize with Nick when he discovered these mistakes were on copies already out there for sale. It was his his debut album, he worked hard for it, and I’m sure he wanted Witchseason and Island to meet his standards of perfection. Perhaps his distress was a combination of anger, embarrassment, and disappointment?

(boy constructing this reply was really painful doing on my iPad. I had exit the thread, go to the freeimage page to upload the photo and get a link copy. Then had to logout and log back in here so my screen touch could access the reply text and continue construction. Finally I could I paste in the photo link. That was repeated over and over. Maybe it would be easier on my Mac?)

21. lemonade kid

Gregory Alan Isakov
    Thank you!!

22. Icewater_7

Your’e welcome, glad to see all my graphics came thru. Now we have it documented in the thread of all things Nick.

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. alexpop

Seen the DSd SACD Nick Drake comp today bargain price £2.00(charity shop). Didn’t get as I’ve had my copy for years, never play it. Comp wise think it’s the track continuity that doesn’t work for me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

FYI, Richard Thompson's new autobio "Beeswing 1967-75" is out, 304 pages. Nick is mentioned on 7 of them, going by the index. Don't know what is said, haven't bought it yet. (Also Sandy Denny is mentioned on 65 pages.)

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Nothing that revelatory. They both really liked Delius it seems.

Thompson is very respectful about Nick and appreciative of his legacy, I think there might have been some jealousy going on but both men were both such quiet personalities they didn't really get to know each other.

lemonade kid likes this.