Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

The Record Store Day pressing of the US “Nick Drake” comp is quite nice indeed. It tided me over until I got the new vinyl issues of FLL and BL. I still spin it since it happens to have my absolute favorite tracks from those two albums. It sounds fantastic as well.

Desolation Row likes this.
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

My first exposure to Nick Drake was nearly twenty years ago. I was with a lady friend and we had just become more than friends. Afterward she put on Pink Moon. I immediately forgot where I was and what I’d been doing. Totally transcendent experience. Not a week has passed since then that I haven’t listen listened to Nick Drake. It’s sacred music for me.

Hep Alien, Alan2, Beatlebug and 2 others like this.
  3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My first in was this silly thing; The Volkswagon commercial.

Oh, is that the guy with the ridiculously overpriced records?
    What struck me is the fact his strings were obviously old and dead sounding. A real nice effect.

Then I found an Antilles US copy of Leaves for $4 at a flea market. Since then, bought the Japanese and UK Boxes, etc - Watched the documentary.

I believe Leaves and Pink should be on the single digit must-listen lists next to Miles.

4. pianoman

pianoman Active Member

I think I agree - no matter how good the original tapes are for these demos and rarities - they aren't going to magically sound as good as the album material. I also tend to go towards "Time Of No Reply" when wanting other versions - a beautiful collection it itself!

Hep Alien and Alan2 like this.
  5. Sear

Sear Forum Resident

Finally I bought the FLF 2013 reissue LP . I'm very happy with it

Alan2 likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nick Drake have any affinity with Marc Bolan ?

7. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Good to see Five Leaves Left getting a mention, albeit brief, in the book which accompanies the deluxe version of the new Beatles Abbey Road set.

In a nutshell the comment is that Nick's debut LP was released around the same time as Abbey Road and came in a gatefold sleeve, unlike Abbey Road itself.

Hep Alien and dubious title like this.
  8. alexpop

Was disappointed with the AR cover in 1969, and lack of extras like TW&Pepper before it.They made up with Let It Be, pity about the music though.

9. alexpop

A few questions.

Nick before he died lived in a barge in Paris for two weeks.

Island records gave him money prior to recording Pink Moon to go to Spain for a holiday.

He recorded songs with Francoise Hardy but they’ve never been released.

Source: Nick Kent ( 1975)

Any more information about these stories?

Alan2 likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Keep seeing the 1986 Nick Drake box at Bull Moose that is haunting me. The box is a little worn but CDs within are NM. For $30.
    Wonder if I should bite? Have the 2007 Fruit Tree box with the DVD and everything individually that is in the 1986 box, but...this looks cool.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Mantelpiece eye candy

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. Very smooth sound on that older box. I probably prefer their sound to the newer CD remasters.

lemonade kid and Max Florian like this.