Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like this one better...very 60's Brit...who does that remind me of ??? Not Nick but somebody.

Ticks a problem here too....:cop:

2. Fender Relic

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Some of the best guitar playing ever.

Narcissus and lemonade kid like this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

His last album has a tribute to his friend John Renbourn..can't find it on youtube but here is the title track:

Days Of '49 by Isaac Guillory

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Isaac and John Renbourn - 4 Way Street

Fender Relic likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Narcissus and lemonade kid like this.
  6. lemonade kid

Hey Alex...I follow you if only to see what your next cool avatar will be! POP!

:righton:

alexpop and Narcissus like this.
  7. alexpop

:cop:

8. alexpop

Did Francoise Hardy ever record any Nick’s songs before or posthumously ?

9. alexpop

Wow! The Nick Drake hotline thread has went cold.

10. lemonade kid

Seems so. In answer to your question about Hardy & Drake, this is from a closed thread here:

Did the French singer Françoise Hardy ever record songs Nick especially wrote for her?

The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll (Simon & Schuster, 2001) clearly thinks so. In the entry on Nick drake it is stated:

“He lived for a short while in Paris at the behest of Françoise Hardy (who never released the recordings she made of his songs) and then settled in Hampstead…”

- - - - - -

First the facts - or how I see them.

As with many thinks in Nick’s life, information is rare and often contradicting. Some even think they had a relation and lived together for some months. Others just think he had a crush on the beautiful chanteuse – like many schoolboys in the Sixties. The only thing that is certain is taht they have met a few times.

The first time was at the beginning of the Seventies. Producer Joe Boyd wanted more people to know the acts on his Witchseason label. A good way to do so was to get some famous artist to cover their songs. Possibly for contractual reasons he didn’t chose to compile simply some songs from Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band and Nick Drake on an album. Instead he booked some studiotime, in July 1970, and hired a few session singers. One of them was his own girlfriend, Linda Peters – later to marry Richard Thompson and become known as Linda Thompson – and a young man called Reginald Dwight. He was just starting a career as Elton John and payed the rent by covering hitsongs of the day for cheap compilations.
    Some hunderd actetates of those new versions were pressed and sent to potential clients.

One of the few who showed some interest in Nick’s songs was the French singer Françoise Hardy. She contacted Boyd to let him know that she thought the songs were great and that she would like him to write some for her. A meeting was arranged in her Paris apartment. That visit wasn’t exactly a great succes. Arriving in the apartment on the Isle St. Louis Drake withdrew in himself.” He never said a word,” remembers Hardy in the documentary A Skin Too Few.
    “It was excruciating,” said Joe Boyd. “Nick sat there, head down, drinking his tea and didn't say a word the whole time; and I had to fill in the awkward silences.” (The Sad Ballad of Nick Drake – Mick Brown in The Telegraph, July 12, 1997.)

They nevertheless agree that Nick will write some songs and Françoise will come to London to record them there. Time is booked in Studio Sound Techniques (the studio where Nick recorded all his albums with engineer John Wood).
    But before Hardy could come to London, Boyd received an offer from Warner Brothers to go to California. It was too good to refuse, so he sold Witchseason to Island Records.

Some of the finest British folkmusicians were hired for the Hardy sessions. Richard Thompson played guitar on a few tracks. Another was Fotheringay guitarist Jerry Donahue. He confirms that Nick showed up at least once to watch the sessions.

"When we were doing Françoise's album, Nick Drake came up and sat next to me in the control room. I was just making some friendly conversation. He was very quiet in between questions; there would just be a gap. Then I'd ask another question. And each time I did, his eyebrows would raise way up, his eyes would widen, and it was like an effort to kind of get the answer out to satisfy the situation at hand - 'I've gotta deal with this - somebody's putting me on the line, they've actually addressed me and asked me a question. I will do my best to get an answer out.'
    Then having successfully managed to crank an answer out, he would withdraw again into silence, until which time I might feel inclined to ask him another question, and the same sequence of events would take place. It was very bizarre. I've never known anybody like him. And he wasn't unfriendly. But you just really felt like you were putting the guy on the spot when you'd ask the most simple harmless questions. I thought he had a real rough time with himself. It was impossible to get to know him, certainly in that brief encounter."
    (Richie Unterberger in Unknown Legends of Rock ‘n’ Roll (Backbeat Books – 1998))

When the album If You Listen is released in Spring 1972, there’s no sing of song written by Nick Drake. But his shadow hangs over the album. (There are covers of songs by Beverley Martin, Buffy Ste Marie, Randy Newman and Neil Young.)

If he had written any songs for her they must have ended up on Pink Moon, which he recorded around the same time, during two sessions in October 1971.
    When that album, like the two before, disappeared without making much noice, the Youngman sank even deeper in a depression. He returned to his parent’s house, but even there he felt like a stranger.

In 1974 it appeared like he was getting better. He recorded some songs in February and June, but this time he found it hard to sing and play guitar at the same time.
    In the first week of October he took up an invitation of some friends to visit them in Paris, where they lived in a barge on the Seine.
    While he was there, he decided to pay a visit to Françoise Hardy. But when he rang the bell, he didn’t recognize the voice on the parlophone. “It’s Nick… Nick…” is all he could mutter before returning on his steps. After a few weeks he returned home where he wanted to improve his French before going back to France. But that was nevcer to be. Four weeks later he was death.

Françoise Hardy talked about meeting Nick Drake for the first time, to Patrick Humphries.

“For me, he didn’t belong to a particularly British tradition: his style was quite different from that of The Beatles, the Stones and other groups that I was listening to a lot around this time. It is the soul which comes out of his songs that touched me deeply – romantic, poetic… but also the refined melodies. As well as the very individual timbre of his voice, which adds to the melancholy of the whole thing.
    Nick seemed – and was no doubt – so shy, so wrapped up in himself, that in retrospect I’m astonished he managed to come and see me two or three times, even knowing that I appreciated his enormous talent. Communication between us was never great, but I had the impression that to know himself appreciated, loved, gave him confidence; and that to feel that his silence presence was accepted was enough for him.”
    (Patrick Humphries - Brief Encounter in Mojo 39 - February 1997)

- - - - - - -

Now for some speculation.

Could it be that the recordings for Pink Moon were originally meant to be demo’s for Françoise Hardy?

Unlike the previous two albums, Nick this time only recored his voice and guitar (with one overdub of a piano on the song ‘Pink Moon’. Engineer John Wood was the only person present during these sessions. There was no producer as such. The studio was booked very late at night, during two short sessions, to keeps the costs low.
    But what is very strange is this account of how Nick delivered the tapes to Island Records.

David Sandison was the press officer of the company at that time.

"I came back from lunch and saw a figure in the corner on the bench in reception. I suddenly realised it was Nick - he had this bio master-tape box under his arm. I said. Have you had a cup of tea? So we went upstairs to my office, and he just sat for about half an hour, then said, 'I'd better be going". He went down the stairs with the tapes under his arm, and about an hour later the girl who worked behind the front desk called up and said, 'Nick's left the tapes behind' - it was the big
    16-lrack master-tape box, and it said 'Nick Drake: Pink Moon'. I thought. That's not an album I know."

Now, isn’t it strange for a singer to take the mastertapes with him. As far I know even The Beatles were allowed only to take acetates home – except for demo recordings.

Perhaps Nick did write the songs for Françoise. He even made demo’s for her and went to the studio to hand them over. But, once there, he was to shy to give them to her.
    So, a few days or weeks later, he drops them off at the office. And Island releases them as an album.

What do you think?

Nick Drake and Françoise Hardy | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

On Pink Moon Being a demo?

Actually it isn't in some sense. The producer asked Drake if he wanted to add any arrangements ( like Robert Kirby's contributions to the first two albums) and Drake's response was : No.
    So in some strange sense, that's the album Nicky wanted: bare ,stripped to its essentials and brutally honest. -"butch" uk, forum member

11. alexpop

FH: Nick revealing his soul in his songs :

FH knew he was special.

Pink Moon demos for FH ? Could be that’s why they were no strings ... stripped down/ demo form.

Has RK ever wanted to add strings to ND: Pink Moon? I wouldn’t be averse to him doing something myself.

It would be doable ..as is, just voice and guitar.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    lemonade kid likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

Too late...but it would have been cool, if totally against Nick's wishes.

Max Florian and alexpop like this.
  13. lemonade kid

As far as which box set is best, not that anyone has asked today...
    ...a matter of some debate:

Nick Drake Best Box | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

I have both the '86 and the '07 boxes...in CD format. The 1986 is superior sonically, just slightly. The '86 box is great with the inclusion of "Time Of No Reply" disc. But the '07 boxed CDs replaces that for a DVD....the immortal documentary "A Skin Too Few"...available nowhere else.

The '07 CD box has been reported to have playback issues but I have found none. So I see no reason to not have both, if you can find them. I recently found a NM '86 CD box for $30. Too good a deal to turn down. Fortunately for me it sat there on the record shop display wall for months with no takers. I gave the rest of the world a chance (not wanting to hog all the Nick Drake), but, well...they had their chance! -LK

;)

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  14. lemonade kid

I also have the Island vinyl reissues that John remastered, released in the early 2000's; and those John Wood feels are even superior to the original vinyl releases...he felt the mastering technology had finally caught up enough to handle Nick's uniquely beautiful sonic qualities.

They do sound amazing.

Narcissus and alexpop like this.
  15. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Amazing post on Francoise Hardy Lemonade Kid! Thank for that information; such detailed knowledge is most appreciated.

May you clarify something for me? Are you saying the CD’s in the box set sound superior to the vinyl releases within the two decades? Or rather one CD box set sound better than the other CD box set?
    May you also advise me if it is worth me sourcing a CD player? I currently have an Ariston QDECK, Panasonic SU350 with Mordaunt-Short Festival Series 2 speakers (also sennheisser Momentom analogue over-ear Headphones for 3am listening).
    If I were to source a CD deck, attaining quality sounding rare albums won't break the bank.

Any information and advice would be smashing...

16. lemonade kid

Hey, Narcissus.

I would not say that the CDs are superior to the vinyl ( I have the early 2000's Island vinyl which sound fantastic)--I am a vinyl guy and my system is set up for my vinyl more than CDs. Though generally HQ CDs do sound great (even with my modest CD player), and I have many CDs, especially those releases that are CD only.

I was comparing the Hannibal 1986 4 CD to the 2007 3CD/DVD Fruit tree boxes. The 1986 is quiet, smooth, warm and I believe from the analog masters. The 2007 CD box is great and bright and more immediate. I personally love my two Fruit Tree Box sets but don't often play them except in the car, with can't compare to my home system..road noise n' all.

All in all, I always grab my Nick Drake vinyl over the CDs for a listen, if only because I love to handle the 12x12" cover, and the pleasure of placing the vinyl on the TT. It makes me feel closer to the music and the artist. And I love the warmth of the sonics, & feel of vinyl.

But I would also recommend getting the 2007 box (there seems to be quite a few on Amazon, even tho it is a one off limited box)--the 2007 Fruit Tree box has mini album reproduction slip cases and the essential DVD, plus the essential booklet is the best of the two box sets.

[​IMG]

This is from a thread that compares them better than me. Hope this helps.
    Nick Drake Best Box

Excerpt from the thread:

The sound is quite different between the 1986 CDs and the two later box sets. The 1986 CDs sound quieter and smoother, and I believe the masters used were originally EQ’d for vinyl. They do have a nice late-night vibe to them, though. By contrast, the later CDs sound more present and detailed. If pushed, I’d choose the later CDs, although I’m happy to keep both sets for reference purposes.

Content-wise, the 1986 Fruit Tree includes the long-OOP Time of No Reply, which is my favourite compilation of Nick Drake outtakes; superior to the later Made to Love Magic. If you can pick up a stand-alone CD of Time of No Reply then you could possibly do without the 1986 box.

The 2007 Fruit Tree includes the A Skin too Few documentary DVD, which is, of course, essential, but Island missed a trick by not including any of the outtake compilations (by then there were three). Otherwise, no complaints. Love this compact little set. Very detailed booklet, too.

At one time, you could pick up Tuck Box for as little as £15, which is when I bought mine. The presentation is nice, although some complained that it was too gimmicky. On the plus side, it includes Made to Love Magic and Family Tree, but no Time of No Reply or A Skin too Few, unfortunately. The Drake estate doesn’t like to put all its eggs in one comprehensive basket. Also, rather churlishly, they dropped one track (“My Baby So Sweet”) from Family Tree, even though the back cover of the box set says the track is included; naughty. You can find the two additional CDs of outtakes as stand-alone releases, so this box set is the least essential of the three. It is still nice to have, if you can find it cheaply enough, which isn’t easy these days.
    -sepeanut, forum member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I was only able to view "Skin Too Few" on YouTube, but the 47 minute version there completely omits his European travels, which are documented in fascinating detail in the book Remembered for a While. Puzzling - the film makes it seem as if he were only around his home town, Cambridge, and London. But it was really great to see and fear from Gabrielle, and hear the audio of his parents.

18. lemonade kid

Yes, not a complete document of Nick, but what was or is in film. We've since gotten much more in book form, but this beautiful 47 minute documentary is the best so far.
    It is an almost poetic look at the talented and tragic Nick we love and admire.

Fender Relic likes this.
  19. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Thank you kindly for clearing that up for me lemonade kid. Lack of sleep has me listless thus I must have missed a beat somewhere in your inspired post. For that I'm sorry.

I too am a dedicated vinyl person yet considering your post on CD’s had me looking on ebay for half an hour scouring for some hi-fi separate to test things out on the lower price bracket.
    Currently, as you may have seen on my profile page, I use the following equipment for my record collection.

Turntable: Ariston Q DECK

Cartridge: REGA Carbon

Amplification: Panasonic SU350

Headphone System: Sennheiser Momentum [Original analogue over-ear]

Speaker System: Mordaunt-Short Festival Series 2

Other Accessories: Silicon adhesive isolation feet & Medium size speaker cable

In your honest opinion, would it be worth me acquiring a CD deck for the rarities you mention, which are often rather astronomical in price.
    Forgive me by digressing slightly, but R.E.M.’s 80’s catalogue sound far superior on CD than on their vinyl, and I mean incredible sound engineering; very interesting if you think about such.nIncidentally, Peter Buck, R.E.M.’s guitarist, sought out and had Joe Boyd produce their haunting 1985 Fables Of The Reconstruction/ Reconstruction Of The Fables LP in London, UK. Buck was a huge fan Of Nick Drake; some say 'obsessively' so (a Heath Ledger type of completest).

This is most insightful, and perfectly understandable, for if one is in the know, on the second of the two Pink Moon sessions, Nick Drake’s very final recording for John Wood on that second and last night before disappearing into the twilight of dawn was - Plaisir d'Amour

I truly think you are onto something new here! You have thought it through and explained your findings very well. This is exiting...has potential... possibly a huge revelation...

Hep Alien and zakyfarms like this.
  20. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

[​IMG] Françoise Hardy - Ma jeunesse fout le camp… (1967)

alexpop and Hep Alien like this.
  21. lemonade kid

If I was unclear...sorry. This is not my post, information-wise...it came from this fine thread:

Nick Drake and Françoise Hardy | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

alexpop and Narcissus like this.
  22. lemonade kid

I can't recommend a quality CD player as I personally have a vintage Yamaha amp and it requires an RCA jack connection. New CD decks are extremely expensive that still have the RCA jack, since they were mostly eliminated with the gov regulations against recording/pirating. So I use a rather inexpensive older DVD player to play my CDs. The new DVD players also eliminated the RCA input jack.

The sonic reproduction I get is just fine to my old rock n' roll band damaged ears...my stereo setup is nothing as good as yours, but if you can, the cheapest way to play CDs thru a system is with an HQ DVD player.

You can view my stereo setup if you click on my avatar.

Narcissus likes this.
  23. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

In regards to this Hardy connection and several songs due to be delivered by Nick by a certain date, I have wondered over the past few days whether Nick did indeed intend to compose the guitar parts and vocal melody for the sweetheart Hardy, yet one of the following three things transpired;

1. Nick realised how good his compositions were and kept them as a template for his 'Pink Moon' LP..
    2. He felt the songs were not good enough to be presented to someone whom he was so very fond of...
    3. All was as planned; the songs on reel-to-reel tape; he arrived at the correct time and place in his old banger; yet he couldn't hand them over for some reason, such as drug induced psychosis, depression, anxiety...

The speculation could go on, although these are the most likely to me.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

It's interesting, in the documentary, that Joe Boyd says for Pink Moon Nick couldn't sing and play guitar at the same time, so the music and vocals were recorded separately. I don't think I'd heard that before.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Fender Relic

Interesting