Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

My original pressing has a line under the production credits.
    Thankfully mine does NOT have inked in handwriting on it!:

"Recorded at Sound Techniques Studios, London, England"

And the Elektra address also includes
    "2 Dean Street/London W.1

This first pressing back cover ...that I have. I like it best. :righton:

[​IMG]

The other more common back cover(reissue) that does not credit Sound Techniques and has a different font for the header:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    gjp163 likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

Oh, and mine is the stunning dedicated mono mix.
    EKL 320 (mono)
    :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

3. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Wow. That I would like to hear.
    I’d imagine there may be a dedicated mix for ‘Wildflowers’ as well...

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

I would say so...a dedicated mono mix of that classic would also be great. I just have the stereo vinyl.

My 1966 mono "In My Life has both the stereo and mono catalog numbers in the top right hand corner on the back. The 1968 reissue has only the stereo number as mono was no longer being pressed.

I have a gold label (yellow ochre I'd call it as an artist) first pressing of "Wildflowers" and there is no mono cat. number in the upper right corner on back of mine...makes me wonder if a mono pressing occurred as that release was very late in 1967...Oct 1967. Mono went away in early 1968 or late 1967. I wonder?

Nick Dunning likes this.
  5. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Looking at Discogs there are mono pressings of Wildflowers. Time to try and find one, the LP generally is quite common in the UK.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

Great...likely a dedicated mono mix in 1967. That would be a great find. The UK seems to have more mono LPs around than the USA for some reason.

7. lemonade kid

Matt Deighton & Nic Drake

Matt (founder of UK 's Mother Earth - acid jazz) was hugely influenced by Nick Drake and we can hear it in his 1995 acid jazz n' folk classic LP.

GREAT LOST CLASSIC ALBUMS ~ MATT DEIGHTON’S VILLAGER

Great Lost Classic Albums ~ Matt Deighton’s Villager

...Deighton was Mother Earth’s singer, guitarist, front man and chief songwriter. Villager was something very different though. With Mother Earth's 1995 single Jesse not being the hit it deserved to be, Deighton took himself off to a country setting and, immersed in the music of Nick Drake, John Martyn and Davy Graham, produced an exquisite solo album of gentle mellow English songs that makes Ray Davies sound like Sun Ra. Ever so slightly folkish.

Ah, the f word ~ for so long anathema to those nurtured on mod and punk who failed to realise that folk was not all bearded berks with bells on, clutching pewter tankards of CAMRAs finest, teaching geography by day, neither was it necessarily a music crime punishable by death.

We know that all too well now, with our Devendra Banhart, Espers and Junipers, Drake revered as a demi-god and Vashti Bunyan, Pentangle, Incredible String Band, Keith Christmas et al sagely (and rightly) acknowledged as pretty damn good. It was different in 1995. Drake’s Way to Blue was only beginning its journey into the CD collection of every twenty and thirty-something. I had yet to hear Nick Drake. The first I had heard of him was on Villager’s press release, citing Drake as an influence....

more from this great article here:
    Great Lost Classic Albums ~ Matt Deighton’s Villager

Matt...Good For Us...definitely some John Martyn here.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Matt Deighton.
    Live for musicians help. Pretty stunning stuff.

Overshadowed

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oasis guy.

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Oh how wonderful you mention Mississippi John Hurt! I love how in the song Candyman he can make his guitar sound really big and reel it back in to the thunky bass lines. I think Robert Kirby is quoted as saying his fondest memory of Nick Drake was hearing him play the blues.

Yes, a Levin LS-18, the same model Nick had been photographed with. It was very hot that day and my Levin breathes with the heat making the guitar hard to keep in tune for one whole take. Thus, I had to tune back up to CGCFCE for tension. If it were 18c I would have kept to the lower tuning.

Agreed the tempo is off. With anxiety time seems to warp a little and mistakes can become a problem. Sometimes I delete videos because of this. I had to use a round-wound for the 6th to recreate the popping sound present on the records but otherwise Flat-wounds are there. I’m not sure if Nick did this. I mentioned a while back that I was listening to Nick Drake on a personal cassette player. I loved how clear the guitar sound was that I recorded the entire Hannibal Fruit Tree box-set onto cassettes. This is now my preferred way of listening to Nick Drake. I use a Sanyo M-G27ASP (a brick basically which takes 4XAA batteries) and Sennheiser Momentum over-ear headphones.

Take care

11. alexpop

Rose River Bear ( member )has a Guitar strings preference thread over on Off Topic you may find interesting.

Narcissus and lemonade kid like this.
  12. alexpop

I would record with a RTR tape recorder 7/1-2 IPs if possible (or 15 IPs ) sixties tape recorder with valves ... even a Grundig you would get good results( fairly inexpensive) give you analog warmth, full bodied sound.

Narcissus and lemonade kid like this.
  13. alexpop

Sunday.
    Lovely day. Reminds of my trip to Tanworth-in-Arden. Memorable visit.

Time ( has told me ) to spin some Nick Drake vinyl.

Fender Relic and lemonade kid like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Music has a way of doing that...certain days just beg for a Nick Drake spin on the TT.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Getting a little dull no doubt bryter layter.

Fender Relic and lemonade kid like this.
  16. lemonade kid

Sunday morning puns are always sweeter...the place to be.

Fender Relic and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

:edthumbs:

lemonade kid likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

I guess it is Sunday afternoon where you are, AP...we had some Saturday Sun, yesterday.
    Today, well, it's Sunday.

Perfect instrumental...for a Sunday morning.

Hep Alien, Fender Relic and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Wouldn’t mind hearing a version of this sans flute.

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

My love of Nicks' playing has always led me to other fingerstyle guitar greats that Isaac amazes every time!
    Isaac emigrated from th e USA to the UK in 1970, and lived a preformed there until his untimely death at the age ender age of 53.

"Guillory came to earn a reputation as one of the best guitarists ever. Many guitarists today emulate techniques Guillory evolved in the early 70's while living in the south of Spain. A particular signature technique that he developed was 'hybrid picking', where he would sustain a bass line with a plectrum held between his thumb and first finger, whilst picking chord and melody lines with his second and third fingers." -wiki
    Isaac Guillory - Wikipedia

Hypnotic! Hope you enjoy too!

Isaac Guillory

Max Florian likes this.
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I broke down and opened this vinyl copy. I was going to keep it sealed for sell/trade as I have the Hannibal Fruit Tree box for playing but any Nick in any configuration is good. I'm not sure if I've ever heard this version of Magic on here. Black Eyed Dog is NP...is it different too? It sounds incredible...the guitar...wow!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    lemonade kid and gjp163 like this.
  22. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Some curious take aways from an except from the new John Martyn bio -

The resurrection of Drake in the 1990s as the quintessential cult artist was driven by a hard-headed marketing decision by PolyGram. Having bought Island Records, the company were keen to recoup losses on artists who had never sold any records.

No doubt the author know his subject much better and has done the requisite research but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else and seems to me there were other more important factors at work than a marketing decision. Interesting though....

There were less lofty connections. “They did mountains of drugs together,” says Linda Thompson.

Its common enough knowedge that Martyn had a substance abuse problem, but again have not read that Drake did "mountains" of drugs. The disgusting hash under Nick's fingernails has been previously mentioned by Linda, but kind of surprised to read this.

“I think Solid Air was written at an early stage of Nick’s withdrawal into disillusionment and depression, moods which were shared by many of those who had invested heavily in the ideals of 1967 and watched those ideals decay, as chronicled by John Lennon in particular,”

This also strikes me as a bit hollow. Admittedly most were still young at this point, but was there really so much idealism that the Bohemian set believed there would be such mass change in the course of a couple of years, and became so disillusioned when it didn't? I would think that "mountains of drugs" and Drake's well known afflictions would be much more to blame.

A very interesting excerpt full of detail, I will probably need to get this.

'Greek, without the sex': Nick Drake and John Martyn's folk bromance

The Sage, alexpop and ian christopher like this.
  23. alexpop

John Martyn appears a bit heartless when he hears of Nick‘s death.

24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I don't think so. It was hardly the era of public grief.

(Martyn's concerts often seem to be moments of musical bliss, followed and preceded by drunken/stoned rants and mumblings.)

25. alexpop

Book.
    Nick sees JM chatting up/ being friendly to bar maid. In a rage Nick accuses JM of selling out. Maybe JM pleased with his new musically direction ego full blast. Think Nick was jealous, or just the thought he was going to lose the friendship they had.(JM wrote to my ears JM:BM albums that is, more rock friendly music). Nick Drake died a month later.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020