Nick Drake: Pink Moon (2012 Audiophile Virgin Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dint10, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Here is the message that both Cally and Mr. Wood answered:

"

Hello,

I just received your email detailing the new release of the 40th anniversary edition of Pink Moon, followed by the other albums next year.

I have an original UK copy of Pink Moon, a 1st pressing US copy, Simply vinyl re-release Lp of Pink Moon, and the recent “Back to Black” re-issue from Holland.

I also have all later albums, all 1st US Lp pressings, all the “Universal Japan” Lp re-releases from a few years ago, the 1st UK Fruit tree Lp boxset, the recent Universal re-release of Fruit tree on Lp.

As you can see, I am a HUGE Nick Drake fan, and try to get the best audio quality pressings available.

My question, is this the same mastering (digital) as used on the “Universal Japan” and “Back to Black” re-issues?

Will the future re-releases also be finalized in the digital domain, or will any of these be fully analog, from the beginning to end of the mastering chain?

I know that these are advertised as “re-mastered” from the original master tapes, but they were finalized in digital, making them not an analog master.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

Enjoy your day!"

Yes, there may be some misunderstanding on either Cally's or Mr. Wood in their reply.

I have since sent a follow-up email to Mr. Wood.

2. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

(it's GZ, see http://www.gzcd.cz/vinyl-27/)

They did the U2 - Achtung Baby 4Lp box last year, and
    the Rolling Stones - 1964-1969 box in 2010.

I own both sets, both are totally quiet (and flat, and centered)

3. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Maybe you like this (not available for pre ordering yet): http://www.importcds.com/Music/2512229/Nick-Drake-Pink-Moon-Vinyl

It almost makes me jealous: the record is pressed 'here' in Europe, but the cheapest seller is in the USA.

4. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I think he thought you were referring to earlier releases and if they used the same sources as new remaster coming out.

John Wood's reply email says "Attached are notes about the re-mastering of Nick's three albums for vinyl release.", so what notes did he attach?

5. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I have "the Rolling Stones - 1964-1969 box in 2010" and also can vouch for the quality.

6. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

That could be, but I started the message by saying:

"I just received your email detailing the new release of the 40th anniversary edition of Pink Moon, followed by the other albums next year"

And, I thought my question was clear:

"My question, is this the same mastering (digital) as used on the “Universal Japan” and “Back to Black” re-issues?

Will the future re-releases also be finalized in the digital domain, or will any of these be fully analog, from the beginning to end of the mastering chain?"

There were no notes or attachments, which I asked about in my follow-up message.

I guess he could have skimed over my message and misunderstood... but, from the start, I was talking about the new lps...

7. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I think he was offering a two-part answer. He apparently forgot to attach his notes regarding the new releases, but I would guess that was his answer regarding the new LPs. His second paragraph is about the original UK LPs (which he supervised cutting) and all of the others, for which he does not know the source.

So, we need those notes. I can offer you one unconfirmed bit of information: the original Pink Moon analogue tapes were in good condition and were used for this release (I do not know for sure if there was an intermediate digital stage, but my impression was that there was no digital stage). However, not all of the original analogue tapes for Five Leaves Left were in good condition. I don't think that release will use an all-analogue source. I hope I'm wrong. I hope John sends you his notes, because this issue may be clarified.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That's what I took it to mean (or he was answering about the Back to Black or Universal JP release). I know there has been shady stuff in the past with press releases and reissues, but I think it would be a stretch to make up that John Wood mastered this new release.

9. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I am not making accusations, one of the things that I was surprised by was Cally's statement:

"I am happy to say that I am 100% happy with the Pink Moon re-issue so far and hope some may enjoy it above the terrible bootleg pressings and unauthorised pressings you list"

The only "unauthorised" or "bootleg" pressing I know of may be the Simply Vinyl, as I doubt all the Universal re-issues, which there were 2 different ones of Pink Moon, and each of the later Nick Drake albums, plus the Universal re-issue of Fruit Tree...all of which were done by Island's parent company, Universal.

That statement also caused some confusion....

If you look below, you will see the past Back to Black re-issue of Pink Moon, and the next link takes you to the new, upcoming release...

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/vinyl/Nick_Drake-Pink_Moon.php

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/vinyl/Nick_Drake-Pink_Moon_Deluxe_Edition.php

I for one, am one of Nick Drakes biggest fans and I have prayed for a long, long time for the highest quality re-issues of his albums and music and I have posted several threads asking for such...only to be disappointed with what has been released in the past 6 years or so, and the attitude of the people in charge of how vinyl "should sound"... with "crackles and pops"...

Again, not an accusation, I guess I was lamenting and venting more than anything else... it very well is probable a miscommunication and confusion on my part.

I want very much to purchase every one of these re-issues!

10. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Ok...John Wood just answered my questions and sent me the attachment that was not with the last message:

"NICK DRAKE – Vinyl Mastering Notes.

There has been little change in the methodology and process of transferring Tape to Master Laquers since these albums were originally Mastered in the late sixties and early seventies. However over the next 15 years until the advent of the compact disc improvements were made to the design of cutting heads that allowed more high frequency signals to be transferred which for ‘acoustic’ based material such as Nick’s gives a feeling of more air and space to the material.

In parallel with these improvements was the arrival of more sophisticated analogue equalisers offering the ability to subtly highlight parts of the audio spectrum in ways not available in Mastering channels when these records were transferred from tape originally. This new Mastering of Nick’s albums has made full use of these developments whilst retaining the integrity of the originals.

It is inevitable that when dealing with tapes that are now over 40 years old there will be some degradation in quality consequently we have not always been able to use the original first generation tapes. The sources are as follows:

FIVE LEAVES LEFT : The original tape was unusable and although there were tape copies the best source was using a 24bit digital file made from the original tape when re-mastered for CD some 12 years ago.

BRYTER LAYTER : Unfortunately the original Masters have been lost so I used my personal copy made at the time of the original mixes.

PINK MOON : This was cut from the original Masters.

All three albums were mastered at Abbey Road Studios, July 2012.
    Mastering Engineer Adam Nunn"

11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that info rich121. Both "Pink Moon" and "Bryter Layter" sound promising (not sure what to say about "Five Leaves Left". The whole Nick Drake vinyl reissue campaign has me intrigued though).

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Well that certainly clarifies things. Pity about the original tapes but at least should sound good from these sources. I wonder if the digitaly sourced Bryter Layter will improve on the Japanese issue from 2007.

13. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

It is certainly worth an Amazon preorder. Amazon Canada is doing some crazy stuff these days. My Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness presale went as low as $23 so I'm locked in at that price. Currently at $56 which I would pass on.

14. marigoldilemma

John Wood clarified that he used his personal analogue copy of Bryter Layter for the new release. You must have meant Five Leaves Left.

15. marigoldilemma

Great information. Thanks for posting this.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Thanks for correction - typing late at night !

17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Ordered my copy just minutes ago. Thanks to all who've posted the above info. Looks like PM is going to be the best of the 3, judging by sources used.

I didn't get the 2007 Japanese issues, but word is they were a bit of a disappointment.

18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Moi aussi.:righton:

19. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Excellent news, thanks for all the info. I have pre-ordered PM and can't wait to do the same for the others.

20. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Although expensive, this title has my interest for sure. Thanks for all the details as this clarifies that it is all analog(ue).

22. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

What do you think the odds are that the stampers will be used for another (cheaper) vinyl issue in the near future?

24. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I wonder what the chances are for them to do a similar box for Time of No Reply....

25. marigoldilemma

So you're getting free shipping from the UK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.