Nick Drake remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

The Pink Moon all-analogue reissue in the box set is equal to, if not better than, the original.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. Interesting! I have Pink Moon in the box and the analogue cut Pink Moon from the 1986 Hannibal box "Fruit Tree". Comparing these two together reveals how differently they have been mastered. The 1986 LP sounds almost like a remix compared to the new box, assuming the latter is the same as the original? The 1986 sounds more monophonic with the guitar bang in the centre and "under" the vocal. It is also quite hard sounding but has more attack. The latest version has the guitar all over the place but much clearer with more detail. It is also "softer" sounding and less brash. If the latest version is similar to the original pressing, why did they change the 1986 set so much? Given that this was the first time many people, myself included, would have had access to Drake's albums in one neat easy accessible package, it seems odd that they would want to mess with the sound so much.

3. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Does anyone understand why the 3LP vinyl box with the DVD is going for so much now? I thought people were saying it was cd sourced so I stopped listening to mine but didn't go as far as to sell it. Been enjoying the hi res digital versions.

4. The Hannibal LP box from 1986 is not digital.

5. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

"Time of No Reply" alone seems to be at a floor price of $35, thus the box set makes sense to buy.

6. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Having read this thread I've 0btained Bryter Later CD on Island CID 9134. In comparison to the remastered version, individual instruments are slightly muffled but the musical whole is far more coherent, making it the most enjoyable listening ever of one of my favourite CDs.

Max Florian likes this.
  7. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I have the Hannibal CD Box set of Fruit Tree and I have noticed that same slightly muffled effect, but I think that it makes it sound a bit warmer than the remasters overall and it is certainly not an unpleasant effect to these ears.

8. I also enjoy my old UK Island CDs more than the remasters (although sadly my Pink Moon Island disc is bronzing - it was a PDO pressing),

Slightly off topic I know but I was interested to read in the new Nick Drake biog (with father's Rodney's diarys) that Nick wore glasses as well as contact lenses.

I have seen this photo before - but never noticed Nick was wearing glasses (look closely) :-

[​IMG]

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Late reply, but the box came with a nice small book. I had the box (sold it couple of months ago), but I remember that it had a lot of good information in there (read it long time ago, dont remember the details exactly, haha). So that may be one of the reasons.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

What a GREAT interview! Thank you for this link.

Front 242 Addict and Grissongs like this.
  11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Anyone who thinks the original Island cds sound best should really read this interview, imho :

Request Rejected »

Alan2 and Grissongs like this.
  12. Grissongs

Grissongs Forum Resident

It has actually been posted elsewhere on this forum earlier but it's great to see it's still around: very interesting read about what was no doubt a labour of love.

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

But if you actually listen to the old cds you can hear how good they sound. Also, it's not the kind of music where you would have to make much compromise for the vinyl cutting master - if indeed Cally is right about that being used.

Tim

Musicisthebest likes this.
  14. Musicisthebest

I enjoyed reading the interview. I wouldn't claim the original Island CDs are perfect but I still prefer them to the remastered versions. Although starting with the original master tapes rather than the tapes that left the cutting rooms gives the mastering engineer a head start there's plenty of scope for things to go wrong. Despite the comments in the interview I wouldn't swap my CDs for the remastered versions. Don't get me wrong, the remasters are very listenable but the originals have got something extra.

Max Florian and Front 242 Addict like this.
  15. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I fell in love in Nick Drake music, especially in the album Five leaves left, the combination with the beautiful strings is magnificent, the all album is hypnotic and magical.
    ( I love the all 3 albums)

I become familiar with Nick Drake beautiful music not long time ago (about a year ago), I loved the music from the first moment,his music and his singing create mesmerizing atmosphere of melancholic beauty which I found very touching,when I am listening to the music I imagine Rivers , peaceful/beautiful landscapes and traveling through very small towns.

The first Nick Drake cd I bought was Five leaves left Remastered 2000 Islands
    I enjoyed from the music and from the sound.
    Since I loved the music so much I decided to get also the original cd ( Hannibal 1989)
    The original cd has a natural sound that I like and you can raise the volume and the music never becomes jarring and unpleasant.,,, from the other hand I like the Clear/open sound of the remastered,
    the remastered is louder than the original but he is not loud like lots of other remastered cds that I heard.

Each of the cds provides a different listening experience , I enjoy from both so I decided to keep both cds :)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  16. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Spelling correction :I became acquainted with Nick Drake's beautiful music///

17. Musicisthebest

If you're really into Nick Drake you might want to investigate the Japanese SHM CDs. These have had good reviews on this forum but I've not seen any comparisons between these and the Hannibal CDs. Personally I think the Hannibal CDs are so good its not worth the money investigating them.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  18. BiNNS

BiNNS Forum Resident

Question for those in the know. I admit this topic is somewhat confusing to me. I'm interested in getting the old Fruit Tree CD boxset. Is the 1991 Hannibal 12" x 12" 4-CD box with grey/silver cd's the UK version? If so, how, (if at all) does it differ from the smaller 1991 Hannibal US 4-CD box set with black and silver cd's? Is it the same mastering? I think I read that the 1991 US version was remastered by Simon Heyworth. Correct me on anything I may be wrong on. I'm interested in getting the original/non-remastered Hannibal Cd's.

19. The Simon Heyworth remasters come much later than 1991. I believe the original masterings are similar.

20. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I couldn't find any samples of the old Island discs online, so last week I finally bought an old 80s Fruit Tree box set. It's coming in the mail later today! I previously heard the HDTracks reissues, then the Island remasters (both of which are on Tidal). It seems as though the presentation gets darker and fuzzier as you go back further. :)

21. BiNNS

BiNNS Forum Resident

Just received my Hannibal 12" x 12" Fruit Tree cd box set. Just noticed a typo on the Pink Moon cd. Cd back cover, insert and on the cd itself. Track #3 is titled "Radio". Anyone else notice this? I don't think the error is present on the smaller box set version.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  22. BiNNS

BiNNS Forum Resident

So I'm guessing I have an original '86 cd box set. For anyone else with the 12" x 12" cd set, does this typo appear on your cd as well?

23. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

The box was everything I hoped it would be. Drake's voice on Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon especially is to die for. I like these discs a lot more than the 2000 remasters.

Does anyone else notice that his voice sort of shifts over to the right during the course of Pink Moon?

I didn't know there was such a thing until I looked it up, and sure enough, here it is:

Nick Drake - Fruit Tree

Track 3 is listed as "Radio" in these photos too. Interesting.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Max Florian and PhantomStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.