Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

My fruit tree albums look mint condition but have quite a few pops and clicks. Is this usual.

2. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

I've always thought this song was kind of poking fun at himself for his perceived self pity

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A very busy arrangement. Nick wasn’t keen on this album. A stripped version would be welcome

4. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Not the greatest quality, but this is just him and his guitar

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I bought the Pink Moon Box, then bought BL when it was given a single vinyl re-release -- I've held off on on the remastered Five Leaves vinyl fearing the source problems. Maybe I'll pick it up.

6. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Welp, it's not going to be a one step AAA. 'new', no, new to them yes.

I have read that Nick Drake's stuff was in the UA fire. There is no way I can verify this. IMO I don't believe this is the reason the masters are gone.

Regardless, the originals in decent condition will set you back about 2500 if your very lucky.

The 86 box set can be found for a bill.

86 US (euro)
    Nick Drake - Fruit Tree

79 UK
    Nick Drake - Fruit Tree · The Complete Recorded Works

There is also a 79 Italy I have no experience with.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Antilles versions that came out in the mid 70's sound very good to my ears, and I would hazard a guess that they are far cheaper than original Island pink rims.

Sneaky Pete and JNTEX like this.
  8. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I have the 86 Fruit Tree and it sounds great to me. I also have the 2013 Bryter Layter and Pink Moon but the 86 box if anything has the edge to my ears.

Tim

JNTEX likes this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

How gross and insensitive!

10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

We’ve been over this already, it’s not worth it

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Maybe you should study "depression" and find out what you're talking about before you so casually dismiss it.

JNTEX, tug_of_war, ralphb and 3 others like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

His problem.

13. Carl Swanson

But . . . what bitrate?

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm amazed at anyone who says that music that deals with sadness and the passing of the seasons is a problem.

Either you are the world's most ignorant and oblivious individual, or you aren't really paying attention to life. Do you avoid Shakespeare, Blake, Elliot, Dostoyevsky, Sartre, Hemingway, Yeats, Eli Wiesel, Toni Morrison, Samuel Barber, Mahler -- pretty much all great art -- on the basis that it deals with the human condition and difficult subject matter?

Enjoy your Taylor Swift and Sesame Street collection. Unfortunately, Winnie-the-Pooh is probably out of reach because of Eeyore and, well, a little too much truth.

Ok, I've calmed down now. Carry on.

fishcane, tug_of_war, Tord and 7 others like this.
  15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Taylor Swift is widely known (and sometimes criticised) for her lyrical content, which often focuses on the breakup of personal relationships. So, probably not a good example of a feel-good artist.

Also, Oscar the Grouch.

Carry on.

lucan_g likes this.
  16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

24-bit... Unless you mean sample rate?

17. alexpop

Feel good artist”?
    Meet and greet that’s the closest I’ll get. :)

18. Carl Swanson

"24 is bit DEPTH. If the transfers were made at 92kHz or above, that analog/digital graphic is irrelevant.

19. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Depression is a neurological illness, Mr. Social Warrior.

20. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

And I don't think Nick Drake's music is that depressive. It's mostly melancholic but then again melancholy (and even depression) is so common in music.
    If we're to dismiss Nick Drake's music for being sad, then we'll have to dismiss a lot of other things as well.

EddieMann and dubious title like this.
  21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I just completed my fancy Drake collection. A US first Antilles FLL, A second UK BL and a US first PM.

Have the Hannibal Fruit Tree box and the above presses easily better them. The FT box LPs sound a little lifeless in comparison. A reviewer on Analogue Planet thought the first US bettered the first UK PM in some aspects. The US PM sounds quite lovely. Very pleased with the Antilles FLL too. Unsurprisingly all the quality early pressings of Nicks records are going up in value.

Funny I never hear about privileged or rich athletes. If you're an artist and are suspected of having some means you may be called upon to explain yourself.

adriatikfan and tug_of_war like this.
  22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

dubious title likes this.
  23. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Sorry, when you said bitrate I was trying to work out what you meant:
    24-bit =bit depth
    44.1kHz (for example) is sample rate
    Bitrate as you requested is bit depth x sample rate (for example 16-bit x 44.1kHz =705kbps (rounded) per channel, 1411kbps stereo, two channels)

Anyway, I digress, the only information I believe we have on the Nick Drake master tape transfers done was 24-bit, sadly I don't believe we haven't anything further as to sample rate. I'd be surprised if it was only 44.1kHz for that era, or even 48kHz. Fingers crossed it was 88.2kHz and upwards, seeing as the master is now unusable and this transfer will be the definitive source for all future releases.

24. Bit rates and depth are irrelevant if the mastering is bad.

I'm not convinced anyone can hear the difference between 24 and 16 bit or 192 kHz and 44.1 kHz. Blind test results certainly don't reveal much evidence to the contrary anyway.

lucan_g and Shaddam IV like this.
  25. alexpop

So the definitive biography is still to be written?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.