Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn't he play any nylon string guitars ?

2. alexpop

QU[​IMG]
    Who did the art design for this ?
    What did Nick think of his album covers ?

3. alexpop

Nick's music suggests county cricket on a sunday afternoon, spot of tiffin anyone?

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

To be pedantic about it, county cricket traditionally wasn't played on Sunday. I don't know if it is now or not.

5. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

His clichés were never that tired. Despite the accent, public school background etc he was a poet in the Blake vein not bloody Wordsworth. You might have more luck with about 1/4 of Roy Harper's music if you want nostalgic songs of Englishness.

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

wasn't five leaves supposed to come out of blu ray Audio any one know why that all failed ?

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Yes. A friend of mine dismissed his work recently by saying he's "one of those people it's trendy to like..." Sigh.

HenryFly likes this.
  8. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Yes, but make sure you get the U.K. version - the U.S. one doesn't have the bonus track.

MicSmith likes this.
  9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It was on preorder and just never happened.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

This is why I am happy to be unaware of trends.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

SACD comp? What's it called? Does it sound better than Way To Blue?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Jarleboy likes this.
  12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

You could argue the SACD comp is the best digital Drake-a couple of tracks I would prefer swopped out as a best of but there you go. It's called A Treasury. It was easy to pick up cheap at one time but a bit tricker to find now I think-there is a CD version so be aware.

tmtomh, Jarleboy and bhazen like this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't know about this, I'm a gigantic Nick fan. Never seen it in the shops. :(

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

It's a bit like the "Heaven in a wild flower" comp was in the 80s. Goes under the radar.[​IMG]

I've seen this second-hand for €35, it had the best cuts of any comp until 'A Treasury' I'd say and a title taken from one of Nick's favourite poems by William Blake: 'Auguries of Innocence'.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  15. The Treasury SACD didn't sell well from what I understand but has been around for years. It even has a surround mix.

SA-CD.net - Nick Drake: A Treasury

There is also a tribute album of jazzy Nick Drake covers on SACD called Poor Boy.

SA-CD.net - Poor Boy, The Songs of Nick Drake

16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. It's why SACD failed as a mainstream format. The major labels were afraid of confusing regular CD consumers so they didn't heavily advertise their SACDs.

bleachershane, Jarleboy and bhazen like this.
  18. Further

Further Forum Resident

That A Treasury SACD is a great collection and the surround mix is a nice bonus. I got mine for under $10 a couple of years ago and it's well worth it. I see the prices have started to go up a bit on them, so grab one if you're on the fence. It could be the only Nick Drake we see on SACD.

tmtomh, lonelysea and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I see others have already answered your query, but yes, it does sound better than "WAY TO BLUE". I have both, and love both, but the SACD is the best I have ever heard this music. Warm, detailed... Lovely. Worth every penny.

bhazen and lonelysea like this.
  20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Used both steel, nylon.

21. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Those were great reissues. Get the rest!

22. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

Does anybody know why Five Leaves Left is a stupidly high price for the LP? Bryter Layter and Pink Moon are both under £20 on Amazon but Five Leaves is nearly 4 times the price.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IMHO listening to his studio albums on a compilation is a great disservice. The original albums in their full length are some of the most perfect three album runs ever in pop/rock music.

Kid A likes this.
  24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I agree with this, but more often than not I reach for the A Treasury SACD. The sound quality edges out even the excellent 2010 Japanese SHM versions of the three albums.

bhazen and Jarleboy like this.
  25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

That's a great question. Honestly I can't remember. It's been quite a while since I compared. I'd love to hear opinions from someone who's recently heard both the original CDs and the 2013 digital downloads.

hvbias likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.