Nick Mason: "I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

To answer your question another way, Seattle. That would be a good spot for a Roger guest turn.

GoodKitty and oneslip17 like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Perhaps, but being stubborn and/or not so easy going doesn't make one not likable, per se. I think Waters is more interesting to listen to speak, especially in recent years given that he has mellowed out quite a bit (still a grumpy guy, but not fill of massive hate and bile like he was decades ago).

RockAddict likes this.
  3. I was gonna take the audio from Rogers "The Wall" blu-ray and switch out the songs with the other Floyd guys for the Rogers band versions. For some reason, the audio on the "reunion" songs sucks. Did Roger not want me to do this?

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Wow, you better stick with what makes you happy about PF.

BTW, that’s is the idea of a concept album: few excellent songs with earworm hooks, some good songs, some transition songs, a beginning, an end and a theme. No one said it has to be a greatest hits! :winkgrin:

I agree with you that Roger milked the Wall by-products to a saturation point. The original album and the movie are essential IMO. The rest can go on a xmas gift list.

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

But they don't enjoy each other's company.

DTK likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think you missed my point altogether

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think of The Wall as mostly one big long song, with certain bits that can be edited out for radio play.

RockAddict, mark winstanley and J_D__ like this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

The S.F. Masonic Temple would be an excellent spot.

9. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

...and certain bits edited back in for completeness... :) "When The Tigers Broke Free"; "What Shall We Do Now?" (as well as Empty Spaces); the extra piano intro on "The Thin Ice"; "The Last Few Bricks" (Berlin '90 version) and that's just for starters. Gimme the rights to The Wall!! Now! Um, anything in this post that might indicate a Roger-esque "my way or no way" in my personality is entirely coincidental... *cough*

10. George Co-Stanza

I'd like to also add that the film version of Mother is THE definitive version of the song. :cool:

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I am not a Waters guy or a Gilmour partisan. Count me in the "the whole was greater than the sum of its parts" camp. Pink Floyd was at its best when it was more of a democracy with each member adding something distinctive, spurring each other on the new heights. If you remove any one of the key players, it's not the same band. After they got huge, the equilibrium grew out of whack and they weren't able to continue functioning in the same fruitful way. The Final Cut was effectively a Waters solo album, just as A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a Gilmour album dressed up to be Pink Floyd. Neither one of them was particularly satisfying to me, but I'm not complaining. They had a great run up to that point and that's all that fans can ask for.

Meddle_Guy, gja586, painted8 and 6 others like this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

Very fair points.

Despite it's obvious flaws and lack of true collaboration, I still like A Momentary... quite a bit, although I have no use for the studio version of Sorrow (the live versions smoke it).

moodyxadi, ihog, mcnpauls and 3 others like this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Yesterday, Jan.27 , was Nick's 75th birthday.... :cheers:

A very good friend is holding a Masonic Temple ticket for me .... should I choose to fly for it.

Fullbug and rontoon like this.
  14. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

As long as The Gov't's open, go for it!

GoodKitty likes this.
  15. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

so I did go for it ! and it was well worth it ! :agree:

rontoon and Fullbug like this.
  16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Enjoy the show! :righton:

17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Thought I'd post this here. Done a little while ago. Gilmour & Nick backstage footage playing Arnold Layne: terrific. I think that's Andy Bell (ex-Ride) on bass:

Charlie Z., Jam757, sharedon and 10 others like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Both Dave and Rog are too old and rich to collaborate - and more power to them. It's like getting together with an ex-wife - they don't like each other and the arguments are not and never will be resolved.

19. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Brilliant stuff!!

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Beautiful video. Syds smiling above. :agree:

mcnpauls and Phil147 like this.
  21. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I love it when great musicians get together like this and just play... nice to see

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

A shell of Floyd but at this point in time I'll take it.

Happy Birthday Dear Phil!

:cheers:

23. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Well, thankyou very much :cheers:

Will be a quiet night in...

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Indeed. It reminds me of that film The Sunshine Boys with George Burns and Walter Matthau about the comedy double act that don't get on but are under public pressure to reform.

DTK likes this.
  25. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Sadly this is probably the case with many acts... we tend to romanticise and imagine everybody is like one big happy family or bunch of mates having a great time. The reality is for many of them they put up with each other and treat it like we treat going to work.

Max Florian, zinan, DTK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.