Nick Mason: "I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Yes. Roger Waters wrote a majority of the music and about 98% of the lyrics.

Zeki and mando_dan like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Waters was credited on his own for a lot of it, including 90% of The Wall and all of TFC, but surely the Guitar and Keyboard parts were Gilmour and Wright's creations even when they did not get writing credit.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Max Florian and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes that's been brought up (more than once) in previous threads threads that degenerated into Roger vs. Dave pissing matches. You, and those who thanked the post, absolutely right though. Some meaningless verse from 25 years ago supercedes everything.

4. buxetehude

buxetehude Forum Resident

I guess Waters’ numbers get bumped up when you include Wall filler tracks and The Final Cut

5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've seen his name misspelled as 'Rogers' Waters countless times, but Roger 'Water' is a first for me ;-)

hi_watt, kozy814 and MortSahlFan like this.
  6. Roger wrote most of the music and lyrics even before The Wall and The Final Cut were produced.

hi_watt, Zeki, mando_dan and 2 others like this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Deliberately ignoring most of what Roger Waters contributed to the Floyd is essential for painting him as the bad guy.

xfilian, GoodKitty, hi_watt and 5 others like this.
  8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I demand a track breakdown for every album; Piper to Division Bell! :p

D.B. and DementedAvenger like this.
  9. buxetehude

buxetehude Forum Resident

Seventies Floyd were more than the sum of its parts. I’m not a musician but the basic building blocks of PF songs seem to me.....pretty basic. The magic came when Gilmour and Wright lifted those elements to a higher place with their playing and sensibilities. Waters was obviously the dominant force lyrically and conceptually but I don’t think he’s a particularly imaginative musician/composer.

Max Florian, Tristero and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Obviously not on Piper which is their best. And then there's stuff like Fat Old Sun which is just by David and a great song and stuff like Fearless which is lyrics by Roger and music by David, or Wish You Were Here, same. And David cowrote Comfortably Numb which I take to mean the big chorus part as opposed to the riff but maybe he wrote the riff too. Either way it has to be tough for Roger to have that chorus be the part everyone likes best on a double album where Roger wrote everything else.

Chris M likes this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"Like many Pink Floyd fans, Mason finds their ongoing battle frustrating. “I think it comes and goes,” he says. "

Yeah, and probably "comes" when you bring it up, like in this interview.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Surely to the fans who read into it. I don't think that Nick's quote changes anything between the other two who will probably shrug this off or just laugh at it.

coffeetime likes this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I hope so. I should know better but I glanced through this thread ...and wish I hadn't! :D

rontoon likes this.
  15. I think Roger is a very talented and imaginative composer and lyricist, but I do agree with you regarding Floyds' greatness being the sum of it's parts.

mando_dan likes this.
  16. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

That's Mr. Water to you and me! Or we can simply ruminate over when Rogers Water broke after he dusted up with Dave and Nick.

GoodKitty, Sytze and DementedAvenger like this.
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

We have his solo output to assess. It had the Floyd-type sound effects. Then he seemed to need 2-ton gorillas to handle the guitar parts (Clapton and Beck). His live shows have reverted back to Floyd-level scale. He increasingly limited the amount of solo material during set lists. Point is if lyrics and concept were the end all/be all, Roger solo should have been accepted the same without the PF name.

18. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Pink Mac?

Fleetwood Floyd?

19. He does tend toward turgidity when there's no one in the studio to push back or laugh at his pretensions.

Max Florian, Tristero, Efus and 2 others like this.
  20. longaway

longaway Senior Member

That's the BeeGees. ;)

21. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Stop bickering. Daves Gilmour wrote all the good stuff, Rick Wrights was just a bloke on keys, Nick Masons was a plodding drunmer and Roger Water moans on and on about his dad.

Max Florian, PIGGIES, kozy814 and 2 others like this.
  22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

DementedAvenger and Zeki like this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

... from '73 on, yes. Before that it was more democratic.

And cooperative.

RockAddict likes this.
  24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Bottom Line: PF is better than its parts.

Fear not. PF will never perform again.

25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Roger positioned himself as the poet of Pink Floyd post-Syd. David was invited in and was "the new guy," who Roger may have thought should be happy just to be there. David has said even in the 70s, he was still treated as the new guy in the band.

Roger probably always resented the attention David got for his guitar playing and singing. And that's a seed for strife and drama from things that shouldn't be all that dramatic.

Max Florian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.