Nick Mason: "I think the problem is Roger doesn’t really respect David"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Nahhh, I doubt some of this. But, note a pattern:
    it seems many well-established bands never last
    five years out of their biggest LPs.

beatleroadie likes this.
  2. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I wouldn't even know where to buy a copy of Rolling Stone. Doubt this article will move many units.

Herman Schultz and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Surely you mean "Gilmore". :shh: I've seen loads of bwilliant experts using this spelling in Amazon reviews, so it must be correct.... A bit like Wiki always being right. Or is that Wright? :whistle:

sunking101 likes this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

In the States you can get them at your local Quick Check and Seven Elevens.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Most? Not even close. Roger may have been the lyricist but the others contributed a lot musically.

Gilmour co-wrote every song on Meddle with the exception of San Tropez.
    Waters is credited with 6 of the 10 songs on Dark Side of the Moon (Gilmour has 4 and Wright 5)
    For WYWH Gilmour 3, Waters 5 and Rick 3.
    And for Animals Gilmour pretty much wrote half of the album.

The songs were also pretty evenly divided up before Meddle was released and the other band members were not always fairly credited for their musical contributions and arrangements.

6. Why did you quote me? I never mentioned the 98% number.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, sorry. I edited my post. Roger still did not write most of the music pre-The Wall and TFC.

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

As for names, I once read a review of the 'Crazy Diamond' box, and the reviewer mentioned that if you say the name 'Syd Barrett' out loud a few times, and fast, you get the word 'sprout'. Well there's something I wouldn't have thought of in a lifetime!

Max Florian likes this.
  9. OK, is it fair to say that after Syd's departure Roger composed more music and lyrics for Pink Floyd than any other single band member (pre-Wall)?

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This.

Max Florian and Rooster_Ties like this.
  11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I dont think Pink Floyd would be taken as seriously as an intelligent rock band if Waters didnt provide lyrical content and themes beyond what the other 3 had brought in or proposed, if any.

Gilmour's working title for what became Comfortably Numb, was "Big Bum"
    Anybody think a Gilmour lyric/theme would have been better than what Waters ended up doing to that piece of music?

And while the Gilmour led Floyd was miles more financially successful in the 80s and 90s, something to be said for branding and pent up demand. (Floyd hadnt toured extensively for at least a decade.)
    Id say Waters' concepts/themes have aged better, and are more relevant than anything produced by PF Mach 3 over the same period.

The sum did exceed the parts for this band, and to tear down one side in hopes of boosting the other side, doesnt make much sense to me.

Maybe something that hasnt much been noted, but after Gilmour's offer of helping musically with The Final Cut had been rejected by Waters, Gilmour released a solo album, About Face, in 1984.

Along with the album, a documentry about the tour had been filmed called, After The Floyd.
    In the film, Gilmour is referred to as "the ex-guitarist of Pink Floyd" That isnt Waters doing that, its Gilmour.

Of course the record and tour didnt do much, and it sure looks like Gilmour seriously re-thought his position in regards to PF following that outing.

12. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Somewhere in the world Roger is sleeping soundly tonight.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Had 'About Face' been a success, Gilmour wouldn't have resurrected Floyd, I'm sure.
    Incidentally, I thought 'Come On Big Bum' was not a working title but just a joke title for 'Comfortably Numb' used during rehearsals and/or on set lists.

rontoon likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks for listening to an 8:18 song

15. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Thanks but I was hoping for a signed copy.

16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

All I know is Waters post Floyd is barely music and Gilmore's solo records can cure insomnia.

17. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

That's being awfully charitable to Pink Floyd in either the Roger as dictator years, or sans Roger in the late '80s.

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, all the lyrics and more music than the others by a small margin. But far from the 98% that someone else previously posted.

19. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

All Rog & Dave need to do one day before they both pass on is sit down one on one have a few drinks, admit mistakes made in relation to each other & have a big man love hug at the end when the booze kicks in.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Might as well wish for world peace while yer at it. :rolleyes:

21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Hey that's fair, I do not respect either of them.

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

rontoon likes this.
  23. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Hey I could've done the Australian version where they chug cheap UDL's & do bucket bongs before beating the crap out of each other in the backyard until one says "I love you man".

rontoon likes this.
  24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Not sure what your point is about Gilmour and his actions post About Face. He changed his mind. So what? As subsequent events made clear, Waters did not have the legal right to prevent Gilmour and the others from using the name. I don't see an issue here.

To cut to the chase on the rest, I don't think anyone disputes that Waters made contributions to what was Pink Floyd. And to their being taken seriously. I don't see anyone tearing that down.

Where the problem with Waters comes in is the way he acted within the band seems, to me at least and I think many others, to have contributed to ending their ability to work as a group going forward. The sum total of what they were is not in dispute. Where the problem came in was how come they could not be that same sum total anymore?

It probably wasn't all his fault. But it was mostly the fault of one person. Roger Waters.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's called "working title" for a reason, the lyrical equivalent of a rough sketch. Stupid to extrapolate beyond that. I'm sure there's a thread on working titles somewhere here.

coffeetime, rontoon and GoodKitty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.