Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets: Live at the Roundhouse DVD/Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jɑmbo, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

I received the CD/DVD pack today. I´m amazed by the picture quality of the DVD. I was going to bu the Blur Ray, but I will be fine with the DVD. Both CD and DVS have awesome sound, and Nick´s playing is superb.

2. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Thank you!

cosplusisin likes this.
  3. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

The music is probably only on the blu-ray once, and the version without interview simply 'instructs' the player to make the jumps.

I've not played my blu ray yet, but thanks for the warning to not expect a smooth 'concert only' version. Pity.

4. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

There’s no “glitch”. The “song only” concert removes the interviews and makes a hard transition to the next song (about 5 times or so) instead of seamless. That’s the complaint and I agree, you should be able to watch the full concert seamlessly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still very good, but that’s one aspect that could have been handled better.

Sigma6 and superstar19 like this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Spandau Ballet would never treat their fans this way! :winkgrin:

Some players handle these transitions (think also dual layer discs) better than others, so I just wondered whether this was a possibility here. Of course, some are more/less sensitive to such transitions. I guess I'll find out when I pick up a copy of the Blu-Ray.

bobloblaw likes this.
  6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

No, there are two distinct titles (video files) on the disc.

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I would not have noticed "your issue" had you not pointed it out. Have to say it's a pretty minor thing to quibble about.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    rontoon and Rooster_Ties like this.
  8. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Yes, but there is only one actual version of each track in the STREAM folder of the Blu Ray. The first title plays the files including the interview segments, the second title plays the music only tracks, hence the slightly dodgy transitions on the music only version. Doesn't bother me enough to want to either buy the CD separately or apply my own crossfades.

rontoon and MichaelCPE like this.
  9. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I've just put it on. The LPCM 5.1 audio is only outputting stereo for me. Dolby digital option I'm getting 5.1.
    Anyone else getting this problem?

10. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Bit of a shame learning about the interviews between some songs, wish they could leave a concert alone so one could just enjoy the full show uninterrupted.
    Still looking forward watching it as I haven't had the chance seeing the show live.
    Seems like a fantastic peformance, and glad to be able to see and hear new live versions of these early Pink Floyd songs.
    Who would have thought.

Personally I want the cd's, so I will have to make do with the dvd that is included in the set.
    While not having the best quality, I doubt it will lessen my enjoyment and that it will be a lot worse than the Blue-Ray version.
    Ofcourse I can also get the Blu-Ray seperate as well,
    but it seems a bit much and don't have the need.
    I will watch and enjoy it, but not sure how many repeat viewings it will get.

serj likes this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Ignore all the negativity, just enjoy this fantastic release.

jeffrey walsh, zinan, willy and 9 others like this.
  12. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Glad we have the option of watching the show only. I really do hate it when concert videos mix in interviews to me it makes no sense.for the record I didn't notice the transitions if yo asked me where the interviews were insterted so I am happy with my blu ray.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The middle sentence should have read: Of course, some PEOPLE are more/less sensitive to such transitions.

14. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

Not sure if it's still a "debate" but I see both sides. Sure - you've got all the songs and that's the important part, so it's not a huge deal if there are some jumps from one song to the next. But I also see it from the whole "..you had ONE JOB!" perspective. They're selling a live concert film. At least put in a bit of extra effort to make it possible to watch the concert, as a concert. The editing job can't be that time-consuming, relatively speaking. Take some care in the product you're selling, ya know?

serj likes this.
  15. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Wonderful addition to the PF canon. Only wish is that it included Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Anyone know if that tune was included anywhere in their setlists? Will be playing a lot!

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

“Hey! Let’s put interviews and such between songs! Our fans LOVED that on LIVE AT POMPEII!”

Scancom and vitorbastos123 like this.
  17. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

LOL I haven't watched in a while, but I recall the Live at Pompeii DVD has a songs-only mode that works because there's no audience cheering and each song has a little title intro thing, so it's like watching a set of short films, each one its own song.

18. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Played this in the car today (Spotify). Great stuff!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Oh I'll totally admit that I'm overly anal about transitions when it comes to live releases. A jump cut is more jarring than a fade out/fade in that some live albums use (though I really dislike that). Let me be clear, I **love** the music and performance on this release and I have zero regrets about purchasing it. I only wish the material was handled a little better is all. This was my most anticipated release of 2020 and it absolutely lives up to my expectations in that sense. As I said before, I'm just miffed that there was no CD bundle option for the HD version, but there was for the DVD and a download code for vinyl. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. To them it obviously did. Nothing I can do about it. I'm happy enough with my edits to make the show flow better than the concert-only audio. Others who rip the audio will be fine with the transitions. At least people should be aware it does happen so they can make up their own minds about it.

LarsO likes this.
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The disc just arrived. So far the sound seems similar to the Amazon HD. The PCM surround mix is not adventurous which is probably a good decision. Got a kick of the French commentator in the beginning which I first saw in the Early Years box. He really dug Floyd (not).

The show I saw looked very much the show captured on this disc. Which is a good thing.

The Blu Ray is a good value also. $20 is very reasonable.

Runicen and fishyboots like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dooos eet all haf to be soo terribly loud?

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Video and surround mix are clear as day on the Blu Ray. Early footage is relevant and unobtrusive. Dolby Atmos would've been a nice bonus, but this stands well in the total Floyd cannon for maintaining extremely high standards in SQ.

23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Bassist Guy Pratt on Touring With Pink Floyd and the Time He Nearly Joined the Smiths

Great interview with Guy Pratt mentioning Saucerful... among other things. What’s really interesting are the two questions he doesn’t answer; one about current Gilmour / Waters relations, and one about the mid tour line up change on Gilmour’s last tour.

I’ve watched the Blu Ray a couple of times now and absolutely love it. I’ve been playing the music via Apple Music since the day of release. I really hope I get to see them live next year.

24. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

My only quibble with the DVD is that I can’t find myself in the audience. Every crowd shot, there are lines and lines of balding, middle-aged men’s heads resembling an array of football floodlights.

Oh well. Next time I’ll wear my fox hat.

Apart from that, it’s a fantastic release. Bring on the un-lockdown and let’s do it all again.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

:sigh::rolleyes::confused::shake: Blimey, five ever so slightly "perceived as jarring" transitions in a "2 hour" concert film and people need to be made aware what they are buying, unbelievable. This forum, sometimes arggghhhhhh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.