Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets: Live at the Roundhouse DVD/Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jɑmbo, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Maybe, if Beggs hadn't earned his credibility working with Steven Wilson.

2. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes,very proud. They were hugely successful ,and he wrote the songs.

SJP likes this.
  3. Well.... I never knew this and just found a decent video on YT as I had to hear Plant sing Lullaby. Thank you!

Rooster_Ties and superstar19 like this.
  4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

So Nick Beggs has no credibility from his work with Kajagoogoo? As a pretty big fan of that band as well (especially album #2 - Islands - on which Nick took over lead vocals), I disagree. Steven Wilson doesn't anoint credibility. Nick earned it by way of his career path which certainly led SW to choose to work with him. Gary Kemp hasn't taken as virtuosic path but his track record as a songwriter/guitar player in a massively successful band speaks for itself, clearly gaining enough attention to lead Nick Mason to choose him for Saucerful of Secrets.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Iirc Kajagoogoo were considered to be a bit of a joke, their name and choice of "stage wear" didn't help no matter how proficient they may have been musically. Fwiw I think Beggs is fantastic musician. not so sure about Lemahl? though.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think most of this is if an Artist(let’s use Steven Wilson as an example) thinks a specific Musician would be a good fit for the type of an Album(or a few Albums) he is working on, as we have seen SW rotate through Musicians just on his Albums(under his SW Name) the past 11 years. Adam Holzman earned his Cred just by being part of Miles Davis’ 1980s Band, as if you are good enough for Miles, then that would help establish your reputation. Of course, it also ties in to my initial comment, so AH must have also been a good fit for several recent SW Albums. There is also chemistry needed for playing on Tours(and assume this was also a factor for how Nick Mason selected Musicians for his Pink Floyd Retro Project).

Steven Wilson seems to have been influenced by Bowie and possibly also Prince, in the idea of selecting Musicians for certain periods of his Artistic Career for Albums and Tours.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Honestly, I could not care less what Gary did or did not do prior to Saucerful. He could have done anything or nothing. My concern -- as far as this thread goes -- is whether he fits well within Saucerful, and whether he can deliver those early tunes credibly.

And that's a big fat yes. I'm very glad he's in Saucerful... he fits wonderfully.

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Judging from his Porcupine Tree and many other projects, SW has been influenced by many (from Abba to Zappa IMO). While some of his influences are obvious others are very subtle and burried in the mix. From TRTRTS, his solo carreer success has been boosted up by the employment of session super musicians.

Nick Mason Saucerful of Secret looks to me more like a group effort than a solo artist trying to hire some big canons to boost up the results.

9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

:laugh: I'm no fan of Spandau Ballet but there's no doubt they were 100% serious about what they did, and given that Gary Kemp was the songwriter I imagine that he was especially serious about it.

NunoBento likes this.
  10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Have you watched the documentary on the BD. The idea for the Saucers came from Lee Harris he asked Guy Pratt to put the idea to Nick Mason.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac did a Crowded House song on the last tour, plus another Split EnZ song down under on that last tour with Neil Finn.

Styx lets Gowan do his big hit when they play Canada.

Guns 'n Roses reunion did a Velvet Revolver song.

1980 Knebworth had Beach Boys do "I write the Songs" written by BB member Bruce Johnston. The 1975 hit by Barry Manilow.

I think a 20 second chorus if "True" slipped into another PF song would add to this show, plus work on another level as a musician in-joke audience troll.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    unclecuddles likes this.
  12. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Listen to side 2 of their Diamond album if you want to hear Spandau get really creative.

Post-Punk Monk likes this.
  13. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Side two of "Diamond" starts with a pop balled prefiguring where they'd go with "True," and quickly pivots to Ambient and Prog strains fighting it out for dominance. [spoiler alert: Prog wins!]

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You got my vote here. Feel exactly the same way.

15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Fleetwood were playing a Fleetwood Mac gig. They can play whatever they want.
    Guns'n'Roses were playing a GnR gig as well.
    Same for the the BB.

Now this Saucerful band has only been created to play Early Pink Floyd songs. Outside of this purpose, this band does not exist. It doesn't have the agenda to become a "real" band.
    It is a kind of a group effort, but dedicated to a unique and very precise cause: playing those Floyd songs.
    Therefore it makes no sense to include ANY other song by ANY other band in the setlist.

Note: I noticed you went from "2 to 3 Spandau songs" to "a 20 second chorus quote" in the space of 24h ! You are indeed incredible ! :uhhuh:

KariK, pulpo, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So far nobody in Saucerful of Secrets seems to feel like writing any new material either, though Gary Kemp indicates he's willing.
    Saucerful Of Secrets’ Gary Kemp: “Playing with Nick Mason and Roger Waters was utterly intimidating”

17. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I guess there is a reason the show was not announced as "Nick Mason's Saucerful of Spandaus" :D

18. Hollis Copeland

Hollis Copeland Forum Resident

Much better than Spandau Ballet, a cover of Seabirds...

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

If you go to see a band called Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets and expect to hear music from some band called Spandex Bundt Cake or whatever, then you are
    going to see the band for the wrong reasons....of course it's going to be only Pink Floyd material, or at least that's the only music you should be expecting....
    o_O

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I went to see Steven Wilson on his ‘To The Bone’ Tour in 2018. Adam Holzman was his Keyboard/Piano Player. Holzman played in Miles Davis’ Band in the Mid 1980s. I shouted out to SW, ‘Play Perfect Way-the Scritti Politti Song Miles was covering at the time’, but my request was denied:doh:.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Again, I'll preface this as being a Spandau Ballet fan who would have no interest in seeing any SB songs performed as part of Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets.

Why is it remotely acceptable in a civilized discussion of music to either 1) absolutely denigrate another band/artist, or 2) be completely ignorant of who said band/artist is to resort to name calling in an effort to recall exactly who it is you are trying to refer to despite the fact that said band/artist has been referenced accurately many times throughout this thread?

surfling and madsurfer like this.
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

It is not remotely acceptable. Leaving the trolls alone is usually your best move to stop them from what they do best…trolling.

Is this thread starting to wear off? It looks like the Spandau Ballet discussion took over the OP.

SJP, surfling and rontoon like this.
  23. Doctorbox4

Doctorbox4 Forum Resident

Ok then, back to Nick. He will be appearing as a sitter in series 8 of Portrait Artist of the Year showing on Sky Arts. He appears in the semi-final, scheduled to be broadcast in the UK on 8th December 2021, where eight artists will each paint Nick's portrait and, as usual, in very different styles to each other. Nick gets to pick and keep his favourite.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Let's just say that I'm kinda excited to get to see his first show of 2022 -- no setlist spoilers for me. Well, aside from Echoes. ;)

But in all seriousness, I'm interested in what songs make the cut for round two, and what will be the new ones...

25. Amen to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.