Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I'd definitely go again should they decide to hit LA.

GoodKitty likes this.
  2. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Saw them in Cambridge (U.K.) earlier this year and just found out they are playing York, my home town, next year. So just waiting for the tickets to be on sale and I’ll be there!

Far out!

Richard

Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  3. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I keep on missing them. I see they're playing De Montfort Hall in Leicester in May 2020. There's my chance.

GoodKitty likes this.
  4. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

10am for the Gateshead show...I'd assume the same for all the others.

5. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

I doubt the band will hit North America again. Some Southern Hemisphere shows would be nice.
    And I agree with a set change up, if only for my own listening.

6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

USA! USA! USA!

Crispy Rob and Chains like this.
  7. Goodness, I couldn't fathom another US-leg of this tour - or even another (later) tour.

I still can't believe I got to hear Nick and the Saucers TWICE -- both here in DC where I live, and also in St. Louis (cuz I was needing to visit my then 91-year old father around the March-timeframe anyway).

First non-jazz (non-classical) concert I've ever been two twice on the same tour, in my entire 35 years of concert-going (I just turned 50 this year).

Billy_Sunday, Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Tickets scored for Edinburgh. Happy days.

Dont hang about, looks like they are going fast.

9. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I got three for De Montfort Hall Leicester. I'm going with some friends whose musical tastes don't very often coincide with mine.

10. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Got my tickets for Bath, glad to see some a bit closer to my home came up this time :)

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Tickets for Dublin secured thanks to a fellow board member. We also got tickets for The Who yesterday. Next year is shaping up nicely.

GoodKitty and Sammy Waslow like this.
  12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Perhaps someone could set up a poll if the 67 to 72 tunes they didn't do and we could have a little survey for fun. I'd nominate Narrow Way, Remember a Day and/or See Saw and Echoes, though I realise that last one is a big ask.

Wright likes this.
  13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

They have done "Remember a Day":

GoodKitty, TheKevster and Rocat like this.
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Not at the one I was at sadly. Not that I'm complaining, the setlist was a wealth of riches from end to end.

15. Yes. Quite a consistent setlist, over the time the band has been playing. "Childhood's End" and "Remember A Day" were the only two 'new' songs added for the U.S. leg of the tour (and played ever since, iirc).

Here's the stats of what songs have been played "the most" over the entire life of the band...

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets Tour Statistics | setlist.fm

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Ticket secured for Liverpool. With an expensive family trip to Disney next year and Beatles/KC & Floyd box sets this year, it was a squeeze to do this but after reading all the reviews and postings about the shows to date, I HAVE to go and hear this. The Early Years box has been in constant rotation since 2016 (all so well championed & promoted by Nick single handedly), so hear all of this played by Nick, Guy et al is too good to pass up. The belt will just have to be tightened up a little more.

I never got to see any live shows of any permutation of Floyd themselves. Seeing Nick & the Saucers will complete the next best thing after seeing Roger's The Wall and Us+Them and one of David's 2016 RAH shows.

17. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I hope you have a blast. Not going to manage seeing him next year, I have something else on the day he's back in Scotland. My son & I were front row centre to see his band in Glasgow last year and it was an absolutely marvellous show. One of the best I've ever been to. You won't be disappointed.

Billy_Sunday and Gordon Johnson like this.
  18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Thanks - its posts like this that persuaded me to push the boat out even further after ordering The Later Years box. I've just checked out a couple of audience videos on YouTube; getting to hear all of those Dark Side gems (please keep Point Me At The Sky in the set!) is going to be fabulous. And if the guys want to drop in say, Wots uh Deal, then I won't object too strongly :winkgrin: I'd have loved to have gone earlier on this year but had other commitments myself, not to mention that the Manchester Apollo isn't one of my favourite venues either for getting to or inside. The Liverpool Phil on the other hand is just the kind of classic venue such classic music requires.

19. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Rog in Rolling Stone recently :

Before we move on from the topic of Pink Floyd, I saw you perform “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” with Nick Mason this year in New York. What did you think of his show?

I was really pleasantly surprised by Saucerful of Secrets. I really enjoyed it, and obviously I love Nick. He’s a very old friend, and luckily all those bridges have been rebuilt. We see each other often, and I adore him. The atmosphere that night was wonderful, and I couldn’t have been happier than to be allowed to share the stage and sing one of my songs with that band.

Guy Pratt was great singing and playing the guitar. He knows a lot about it all having worked for Gilmour for all those years. And I thought Nick sounded great. And the other guys were really splendid.

Would you ever want to do a tour like that on a smaller scale where you played older songs for people who aren’t expecting the big hits?
    **** no. Why would I want to do that? I’m writing new **** all the time. I will go on doing what I’ve always done. My work is to think, “Well, how can I make rock & roll more interesting or theatrical or exciting or visual or musical or whatever?” That’s what I’ve spent the last 50 years doing, expressing myself. And I shall continue to do that. I can’t think of anything I want to do less than go and sing “Set the Controls” in a pub.

Roger Waters Talks ‘Us + Them’ Film, Why Pink Floyd’s Songs Remain Relevant

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

How about singing your new stuff in a smaller venue, without the 45 year old Floyd hits?

Would have been my follow up.

21. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Bar the size of venue I'm not sure what Rog is doing differently. What proportion of his shows is stuff from his latest album?

Runicen likes this.
  22. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

1. Set 1:
    2. Speak to Me
    3. Breathe
    4. One of These Days
    5. Time
    6. Breathe (Reprise)
    7. The Great Gig in the Sky
    8. Welcome to the Machine
    9. Déjà Vu
    10. The Last Refugee
    11. Picture That
    12. Wish You Were Here
    13. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
    14. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
    15. Another Brick in the Wall Part 3
    16. Set 2:
    17. Dogs
    18. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
    19. Money
    20. Us and Them
    21. Smell the Roses
    22. Brain Damage
    23. Eclipse
    24. Encore:
    25. Wait for Her
    26. Oceans Apart
    27. Part of Me Died
    28. Comfortably Numb

Is the most recent show I could find (with minimum effort, of course). Dec 9 2018 in Mexico.

I didn't mean to sound like I'm complaining, he does do new stuff and puts on an artistic show. I don't think he'd be playing stadiums without the Pink Floyd material being 2/3's of it, though. He wrote or cowrote it, of course, and he can certainly play it live. But it's a question worth putting to lots of aging rock stars, the Stones, McCartney, whoever. They could play theaters doing a concerto for triangle or anything else they wanted. They don't have to play stadiums doing classic rock staples. It's a choice. I might choose the same, of course, if only anyone wanted to hear the lousy music I made in my 20's...

Scancom and GoodKitty like this.
  23. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The only thing he doesn't do much of these days is singing. That's where he's really losing me... Nick's show, in a way, is much more authentic.

Scancom, GoodKitty, Lovecraft and 3 others like this.
  24. Yeah, that's a pretty big deal, far as I'm concerned (Roger miming/lip-synching almost everything these days). Someone posted a link to a full-performance of Dark Side, from the 'monitor-mix' (which has all the countdown cues in it, and the click-track for probably 70% of the entire show) -- and no wonder it didn't have any life to it at all. Maybe Roger's bass-playing is actually live - I really don't know. But all the vocals sounded *uniformly* good, so I'm presuming that the entire thing was lip-synched ("lip-sunk"!).

Good for Roger that he puts together shows with enough spectacle, that no one cares if the "Roger" they're hearing is all canned. If that's what he wants to do, fine, but I have no interest in going to hear it. That Dark Side monitor mix I heard lacked an ounce of spontaneity, where every single entrance seemed dreadfully predictable (obviously all the more so, for having every single even half-important musical cue each with their own separate count-down). Are the musicians on-stage just robots? Might as well be, if everything is cued to the millisecond like that.

I saw Nick's show twice, and I was blown away both times. Pressed the hell out of my "jazz" buttons, especially, with all the musical 'quotes' Guy Pratt likes to throw in places -- Floyd quotes, and various Entwistle/Who quotes too. And more genuine collective-improv than I've heard in a non-jazz Rock show in years.

People who like Roger's spectacle, more power to 'em. I'd rather have a more bare-bones event, but one where some honest to goodness MUSIC is being created, and not just "performed". IMHO, FWIW.

Scancom, jdw, Billy_Sunday and 8 others like this.
  25. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

I watched a show on youtube and was impressed at how ragged and raw it was. No attempt to stretch it out for consumption. It was really true to the early sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.