Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wish him well...I am a Cage fan.

Chris DeVoe and razerx like this.
  2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Has anybody watched this? Looks like it might be fun. Such a comfortable actor. I think the last one of his movies I enjoyed was The Weather Man.

longdist01 and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Colour Out Of Space is good

longdist01 and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great in Rumble Fish, as well.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

A promising start? He had a great career. So did Bruce Willis who now seems to be doing the same kind of films too. Must be plenty of money in it.

6. nicholas029

nicholas029 Forum Resident

Hey there are some pretty good and even great Nick Cage movies.
    Wild at Heart, the David Lynch one. Every character is perfect. I can't imagine anyone but Cage in that role.
    Same guy in Saving Arizona if not as smart.
    I think it was Leaving Las Vegas that brought everybody down. Hard movie to watch. Not the classic Byronic antihero.
    It doesn't matter how good it is reviewed if you never want to see it again.

Can you name a Paul Newman movie you would not watch again?

7. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I’ve seen Leaving Las Vegas multiple times and wanted to watch it again. It is an incredible film, and to say to film that won him an Oscar for best actor brought people down? I don’t get that. A year later he had a very successful film in 1996 with The Rock.

longdist01 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  8. nicholas029

nicholas029 Forum Resident

OK, maybe I don't want to see Towering Inferno again either.

I like Nick Cage movies, just not that one. On this subject, I expect opinions vary.

9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I don't know if he's good or bad, he's just Nicholas Cage, and if one of his movies comes on telly I'll watch it with glee.

10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

This thread's title suggests he's doing bad!

God,
    I wish I had his money. I don't even want to know how rich he is.

andrewskyDE and Waterloo17 like this.
  11. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I couldn't even make it through this 10-minute film segment. Without a doubt, Quintet:

12. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Watched the first episode. Pretty amusing stuff and it looks like all the episodes run around 20 minutes each. Cage does a good job as host.

13. Disappointing, based on the first two episodes. Maybe seven minutes of worthwhile content per episode, coupled with 13 minutes of 2nd tier comedians being unfunny and a dusting of politics.

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

I almost switched the channel when I realized Nick Cave was in a film I was watching recently.
    Glad I didn't though because I really enjoyed the film, mainly for the visual style.
    It was Mandy.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Exactly. 16 pages in, and the answer is: $

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Does he wear a toupee?

smilin ed likes this.
  17. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Add Travolta to that list as well.

18. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I guess the upkeep on, not one, but two castles in Europe, a private island, a haunted New Orleans mansion (plus unhaunted regular mansions in California and Wherever else) takes a lot of cash maintenance every year. Plus his personal dinosaur skull and motorcycle collection.

I can think of worse ways to live my life.

19. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Actually, I used to loath him, but he has grown on me. He is a bombastic actor, like William Shatner - you either love him or hate him. I love him, now.

20. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

It was fun just seeing him transform from a kind of wimpy, quiet guy to......well, Nicholas Cage. You knew it was coming.

21. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

and Steven Seagal, John Cusack, Mel Gibson, Wesley Snipes, Cuba Gooding jr., Christian Slater etc etc.

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Matchstick Men. Wonderfully manic.

AndrewK likes this.
  23. My favourite Nicholas Cage films -

Valley Girl
    Raising Arizona
    Wild At Heart
    Mandy
    Colour Out Of Space

I like it when he goes “full Cage”

24. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Going back quite a few years, but one evening I was in Tower Records on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood and was on one of their self serve kiosks where you can look up the name of an artist, song or album. Over my shoulder I heard someone ask an employee there about who sang a particular song and then hummed a few bars of it. The employee told the customer they'd look it up as soon as I was finished at the kiosk, but I knew the song and artist. So without turning around I said "Five Stairsteps is the artist and the song is O-o-h Child", then I sang a little bit of it. The customer said " Yeah that's it. Hey thanks man!" to me, and so I turned around and it was Nicolas Cage. Seemed like a nice fellow. He shopped for about 10 more minutes and then left in a yellow Ferrari.

Had a number of surprise celeb encounters there, my favorite being when Halle Berry and I ran into each other, literally, not long after the Cage incident. She was turning the corner of one aisle carrying a large stack of CDs and I was headed in the opposite direction carrying a couple CDs and for one surprising but ultimately very enjoyable moment (for me anyway) we ran into each other, almost causing her to drop her musical stash. We both stopped for a second, then smiled politely at each other and said "Oops, sorry" and went on our ways. She's as beautiful in person as she is on screen.

25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

To answer the OP's question I'ld have to say Nicolas Cage has way too pronounced looks that don't fit an "Every Man" motif unlike say George Segal (RIP) who also seemed to be in way too many movies considering his acting chops and looks as a somewhat nuanced, low key character actor.

Cage just stands out with his receding hairline, large expressive eyes, John Barrymore nose and distinct timbre in his voice. He's more of a exaggerated character actor where he's very noticeable and hard to forget. Combine that with over exposure being a long string of movies and I'm not surprised he'ld choose to be in B-movies.

I just saw him several weeks ago in a non-speaking role in "Willy's Wonderland" an over the top violent paranormal B-movie he produced, so he's seeking other ways of still being creative at least.

I thought it was OK, nothing groundbreaking but it is different.

All Down The Line likes this.