Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

There is no more heartbreaking film than Leaving Las Vegas and Cage's performance is excruciating to watch. The guy's done enough great work—including Raising Arizona, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Wild at Heart, Peggy Sue Got Married, the list goes on—that you can excuse him a few crappy films. And even when the film is crappy, Cage can save it with sheer exuberance. He's a national treasure (I'm so, so sorry).

2. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I was thinking today while perusing the local charity shops, just how many films there are with him in I have never heard of.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I also thought he was a terrible actor. Until I saw him in a film called 'Adaptation'. Marvelous job he did in that one.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge: “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Some actors need or want the money.

Greg Gee, ClausH, DHamilton and 12 others like this.
  5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I will have to check out Adaptation since a lot of peeps are liking it, thanks for the heads up. I also like Family Man. :D

Good for him. He deserves a terrific house or two or three.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

We all need or want money.

showtaper and delmonaco like this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I like 'Knowing' :laugh:

F_C_FRANKLIN, kanakaris and pdenny like this.
  8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Not the biggest fan; however, the chase scene in Raising Arizona is one of the funniest 5 minutes (in my opinion) in film, and a lot of it is due to Cage's performance.

Greg Gee and vegafleet like this.
  9. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Nick Cage is no mere actor...he is a PERFORMANCE ARTIST. Look no further than The Wicker Man.

On a more serious note, I love that his filmography is as diverse as can be: Con Air, Wild at Heart. And yes, Peggy Sue Got Married is a totally underrated gem, despite Cage's weird chipmunk accent.

10. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have seen nearly all his movies and so far enjoyed each and every due to Cage's performance. Though they are hardly Oscar material but bad they are not.

11. shokhead

Cage has also been nominated for an Academy Award twice. He won an Academy award for best actor in a leading role for his role in the film Leaving Las Vegas in 1995. He was nominated for a second one for his role in the film Adaptation in 2002.[102] He also won a Golden Globe award, Screen Actors Guild award and many more awards for Leaving Las Vegas. He has received nominations by the Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA for his films Adaptation, Honeymoon in Vegas and Moonstruck.[103] He has also won and been nominated for many other awards.From Wikipedia

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i rent a movie every saturday (just about) and i swear that there is new a new nicholas cage movie every week....along with bruce willis, val kilmer, and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment. sad really.

Scowl, Matthew Tate and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Actors spend beyond thier means, Nic Cage is a prime example.
    I've also heard recently that Johnny Depp is in financial trouble as well.

14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I lost all respect or desire to see his movies a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. His vocal mannerisms become boorish and grating. Almost (?) anyone of us who received the salary he received from one of his bigger hits could have lived comfortably for the rest of our lives. And then some. Anyone who is so clueless as to lose millions of dollars (approximatley 150 million according to one estimate) really has big, big problems and he could well afford to pay for some professional help, counselling, etc. It's just hard to think of breaking the violin out of its case to play a song in this case.

Depp (previous post) was reported to spend two million dollars a month. That's about $66,000 per day!!!!! How does he do it? I don't think I could do it, unless I bought an expensive car every damn day of the month!

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in depp's case, amber heard is, from what i've read, beating him up just a bit.

16. shokhead

Don't worry, he will get cheered at the oscars.

dynamicalories likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That big house in France doesn't clean itself!

Malina likes this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This is one of the most hilariously whacked out, over the top perfomances ever. It's classic.

Dudley Morris, enro99 and vince like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We do get a lot of Cage and Willis "direct to video" movies, but Kilmer? He hasn't acted in anything since 2014!

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think sometimes he takes the least line of resistance, takes the money, buys a new wig and runs. He's hardly the first actor to do that, though and he's certainly not the only one. There are some good movies in his resume. Most of them are from a while back, admittedly.

thestereofan likes this.
  21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

He's suing his management company for fraud and mismanagement. The management filed a countersuit claiming he spent too much money.

"The lawsuit said Depp paid more than $75 million to buy and maintain 14 homes, including a French chateau and a chain of islands in the Bahamas.

Depp also spent heavily to buy a 150-foot yacht, fly on private jets and cultivate collections of fine art and Hollywood memorabilia requiring 12 storage facilities to maintain, the lawsuit said.

Depp was repeatedly warned by the company that his spending was out of control but ignored his former advisors' advice to control his spending, the lawsuit said."

Johnny Depp's ex business managers claim actor spent $2M monthly in new lawsuit

Here's what Johnny Depp reportedly spends $2M a month on

Here's what Johnny Depp reportedly spends $2M a month on

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

which is more than likely why amber heard is trying to take him to the cleaners also.

23. shokhead

Trouble is brewing over Grace Hightower’s coffee company. We’re told that her husband, Robert De Niro — who is a major investor in the firm — is steamed because the 5-year-old Grace Hightower & Coffees of Rwanda brand is turning into a money pit.

The New York Post reports that Hightower has frustrated business associates — as well as the legendary actor — by dithering over simple decisions, and “changing her mind about how to run the business depending on who she spoke to last.”

A source tells the paper that, in a moment of frustration, De Niro boiled over while bickering with Hightower in public at a Manhattan bar, telling her, “I wouldn’t have to keep making s - - tty movies if you didn’t spend all my money!”

In recent years, comedians such as Joel McHale have teased De Niro over his choice of roles, some of which — such as those in “Dirty Grandpa,” “Grudge Match” and “The Intern” — may not live up to his status as the multi-Oscar-winning actor from “Raging Bull,” “Taxi Driver” and “The Godfather: Part II.”

Meanwhile, defenders of Hightower point to a slew of establishments that carry her coffee, including the Ace Hotel, the Breslin, Salvation Burger, Salvation Taco, White Gold, the Williamsburg Hotel and De Niro’s raft of hotels and restaurants, including the Greenwich Hotel and the Nobu chain.New York Post

24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

He came to the Boston Film Festival in 1988 where I met him. He spoke for a bit about his role in Vampire's Kiss (a bad movie). I was the assistant manager at the cinema where it was held.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I love that quote, and Michael made a ton of crappy films in the late 70's - early 80's, and got grief for taking films based on where it was shooting: (Blame it on Rio :tiphat:) he regrouped though...Nic Cage just needs an Oscar Bait role, hard to pull of now when youre name brings chuckles....one too many Ghost Rider Sequel

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017