Night Garden: Berry, Buck, Mills, Stipe [R.E.M.]1981-1996 Song-by-song*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 23, 2021.

1. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Leave (Alternate Version)" - I'm glad the siren is gone, but this arrangement takes all the drama out of the song. I guess that was the purpose, but without the urgency, it's "nice", but forgettable. Did R.E.M. actually provide the instrumental backing for this? It sounds like a kind of generic '90s electronica track. 2.5/5.

2. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Leave (Alt.) - I like when bands do (and release) alternate takes or versions of their songs, especially ones that are substantially different. Interesting approach on this version but the soaring chorus on the Hi-Fi version is its strongest asset.

A 3/5 for effort.

3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

This is fine for what it is. It says a lot about my take on the original version (and, really, NAIHF in general) that I already can't remember anything about it to compare today's track to.

2.8/5

4. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Leave (Alt Version). Easily my favourite version of this song, and one of my favourites from the NWIHF era. 5/5

5. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Stipe is the only member of the band that appears on this. I sold my A Life Less Ordinary CD once In Time came out, but the liner notes to the soundtrack provide the performance credits.

6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Leave (alternate version)
    Well this doesn't have the annoying siren and it doesn't go on forever. Instead it is just boring. Four minutes of this seems longer than 7 minutes of the version used on the album.
    1/5

7. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Leave (Alternate Version) — If I saw an R.E.M. gig or a chill R.E.M. tribute act and they did Leave and it went like this, I'd be cool with it but let down if it were R.E.M. and not the chill tribute act, though either way I'd be like — this guy sure sounds like Michael — and I'd guess the rest of the show'd be alright too. But if the occasion ever arises that I actually wanna hear this song, the originally released version is pretty darn great and this is just pleasant and acceptable.
    2.9/5

8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Wow, I never knew this. Is this the only REM song released to feature just one member of the band?

9. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

There's that unlisted "I'm Not Over You", song from Up which is just Michael on vocal and acoustic guitar. I think several of those demos, too, feature just one member, as well.

10. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Leave [Alternate Version]"

1-2
    2-4
    3-7
    4-2
    5-2
    Average: 2.8206

Bug80 likes this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

good call on the demos! That makes sense. and “I’m Not Over You” is definitely just Stipe. I love that little song so much

andycherry likes this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Revolution", written by Bill Berry, Peter Buck, MIke Mills and Michael Stipe. Produced by Scott Litt & R.E.M. Remixed by Scott Wallace.

Background:
    Originally demo'd during the Monster sessions, this was recorded for New Adventures In Hi-Fi, but was appropriate by film Batman And Robin, whose soundtrack it was released on in 1997. It was also released on In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003, Complete Rarities: Warner Bros. 1988-2011.

Line Up:
    Michael Stipe: vocals
    Peter Buck: guitars
    Mike Mills: bass guitar, vocals
    Bill Berry: drums
    Nathan December: guitar

A demo of "Revolution" was released on Monster Deluxe in 2019.

Live versions:
    • Road Movie (1995, released 1996)
    • R.E.M. at the BBC (1995, released 2018)

pablo fanques, ARK, TexasBuck and 5 others like this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

1994 Monster demo:

14. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Revolution" - Wow, it's surprising to hear an R.E.M. song from the late-Berry period with a catchy riff and a decent vocal melody. The verses have a sort of a Fugazi feel to them with the way the guitar and bass interplay over a heavy backbeat. The lyrics aren't too deep, but who cares when R.E.M. is letting a catchy tune out instead of trashing it. (The Monster demo sounds like it was taken from a third-generation cassette dub, but it's not bad either.) 4/5.

15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Revolution - 4/5 - Better than most of the tunes from this period, maybe because it's a bit older. My main beef with it is that if you're going to write a song called "Revolution" it should have better lyrics than this.

16. Desbug

Desbug Forum Resident

Yeah, Revolution is a silly idea… but it works. 4/5

Not a Departure for the band but quite close

17. Lance LaSalle

It's enjoyable, but not brilliant. 3.5/5 .

Michael's weird pronunciation bothers me more than usual "everybody knows you're a bad act-rayus." But a good riff, a driving beat some good Mills backing vocals/bassline. I find myself approving.

18. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

This is great, which begs the question of how it was left off both of Monster or NAIHF.

19. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Better than almost any thing on Monster, it's a little slight, but very catchy. It has real drive, I called it propulsive the other day. The version I am familar is the Road Movie live / official bootleg style take. Thats what I grew up listening to. This 421 demo version blows.

I think it's a mini treasure of riffs, intrigiung lyrics, I had a concept that the outright bare faced, blunt Oliver North / abortion clinic meant theyd tucked this away as an extra, not an LP so not to alienate righty fans? With the coded protest politics of their earlier lyrical style. Like an Ignoreland (I feel it may come from that period) which some band members had issues with, and we know Michael changed the lyric of Welcome to the Occupation after some objections.

To the invigorating live versions I bestow an easy 5/5. I'd put this in the upper eschelon of their b sides, and novelty covers. There aren't many great ones IMO, but this one's essential, "a must!", if you will.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  20. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Revolution
    Dissenting voice here. This is nothing special and if it had been on the album it would have got lost among all the second and third tier tracks. Good move to leave it off.
    Michael's vocal and lyrics are irritating, and as AlienRendel says, the title makes us expect better. Sounds like the awkward growing pains of a band in transition.
    2/5

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Revolution

This is a rather boring generic rocker, with Michael “singing” in his least interesting monotonous voice.

2.5/5

22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

This Revolution is a good idea
    all the other songs are so sad
    its like you need a reason to be rad
    You sport guitars when you're good and mad
    I don't know why I'm so angry
    Buck's spinning the distortion pedals
    Stipe's lyrics still confuse me
    Bomb the WEA meetings
    Critics defence was snobbery
    The hype was created
    The album over-rated
    and the advance was generously accounted
    the future never happened
    the sales never happened
    45 revolutions per minute

This Revolution is a good idea
    we tried to look like a punk rock tour
    with extra musicians and mirrorballs
    private jets and cell phone calls
    everybody's tired of Monster's theatrics
    all those songs about famous actresses
    the rock is coming
    in a weird new form
    la la la revolution
    45 revolutions per minute

3.5/5

Helmuth, Mr. D, Vagabone and 2 others like this.
  23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

“Revolution” is one of those songs that works great live. It’s energetic and bouncy and even if the crowd doesn’t know it yet, it gets them moving. The basic chorus is real easy to sing along to. It loses some of its appeal when I’m listening to a recording and can hear clearly that the lyrics are clunky and the song itself probably could’ve used some revisions. I get why it didn’t make either record. It’s perfect for live shows and/or compilations. One line, though, hit me real hard over the past few years - “The future never happened.” It makes me think about how easy it is to assume that the future will be more prosperous and tolerant and advanced. The 21st century I pictured in 1996 is not the hellscape of 2020-2022. It’s a brutally sad and and harsh lyric wrapped in a catchy chorus. That never really hit me until the last few years.

24. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

"Bubblegum punk" comes to mind as a description- it's okay but not great, though I can hear what ghoulsurgery is getting at about it being better live.

25. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Revolution

The vocal portion of the song is useless, but the music has a kinetic energy and pulse that hasn’t really been seen since “Radio Free Europe”. I enjoy this one a lot. 4/5