Nightflyers - Syfy's adaptation of George R.R. Martin novella

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keep in mind this is a cross between science fiction, fantasy and horror. I'm going to disagree with you about it being lazy in general. It's all about how you use it. If you're looking for "hard" science fiction, this is the wrong thing obviously. If you haven't read the brilliant novel Dying Inside, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Then again, maybe not. Precognition, telekinesis, talking to the dead....all have shown up in Dick's work and he's done some pretty interesting work with these things. That's why I agree with Harlan Ellison's approach--calling it speculative fiction is much more accurate.

I would imagine you hate Dr. Who then ;)

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have not been kind to the rebooted series (with a few notable exceptions). It's 95% nonsense and fluff and the current season has been beyond horrible and boring. :)

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. I know. I was referring to classic WHO. ;)

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The show deteriorated faster than did the crew and ship! Great production values (it must have cost a fortune), but the writing was sub-par.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. Yeah the first three episodes were pretty good but it was a steep decline.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Watched it, terrible, but not as much as the story was really bad (not really that original either but workable), but I felt all the roles were miscast .....terrible acting all around IMO .... good ridddance

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You know, I quite fancied this, but the reviews have made me wary.:)

Didn’t realise the show had already been cancelled. That’s fast.

9. The series had something of a conclsuion (borrowed from a popular Russian science fiction film) . The first three episodes were pretty good but the quality went downhill from there. The problem is that Syfy has such a small audience to begin wit, this show would have had to hit a massive home run. While I did some social media ads, nothing large enough so I got a sense that it was reaching a bunch of viewers.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't know it was ever intended beyond the season. Though if somethings a hit, they of course think of a way.

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I read an interview with the cast and one said they were hoping for a second season.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Very well said, the part I bolded was what really made it a chore to get through, and relegated to watching while surfing the web, never a good sign. Such drab, grey characters which were not helped by the poor writing.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Finally got around to watching this. Okay, and if there were to be a second season, I'd give it a shot, but it never fully engaged me. I thought the acting was solid enough all around
    except for the actress who played Lommie trying to portray being taken over by Cynthia.
    The actor playing Rowan and actress doing Melantha stood out to me. I didn't think much of the borrowed from Solaris ending, but for anyone who has read the novella, how did THAT end?

14. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

It took me awhile to finish this on Netflix. Seems very disjointed and was difficult to follow. I don't know whether more details or less are needed. It just didn't make sense to me. Too many unresolved questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.