"Nightmare Alley" (new 2021 Guillermo del Toro film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I’ll watch it on HBOMax at some point, not all that enthusiastic now after reading the comments here. I like the original a lot.

Didn’t know it would be available streaming, which so far isn’t good news. I’ve only watched a handful of films that are in the theater and streaming simultaneously, and it seems there is a reason.

2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Do movies look better or have more impact to you streaming or viewed at the theater?

3. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m very surprised this is already on HBO Max. I just added it to my list. I’ll watch it at some point since I’m already paying for this service. Maybe it will surprise me. For sure the multiple times I saw the trailer in the theater didn’t make me want to see it, despite the fact that several of my favorite actors are cast members.

JediJones likes this.
  4. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Hard to say, several movies seen on DVD or Blu-ray have floored me.

I would consider that to be the same as streaming.

Going to the movies used to be more of an experience, standing in line (long lines sometimes), sharing the moment with a full theater, etc.

Too close to call…

JediJones and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  5. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Have you seen the 1947 version? I believe the whole thing is on YouTube. I recommend that one way more.

Witchy Woman and JediJones like this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

No, I haven’t seen the original. The story doesn’t interest me, to be honest.

JediJones likes this.
  7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I knew nothing of the plot or that it was a remake when I saw it. I enjoyed it. Really wasn’t sure where it was going, but was along for the ride. One of the better movies out right now. Probably the best.

Michael likes this.
  8. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

SPOILERS

I just watched this movie and I have mixed feeling about it. For one thing, it has this subdued vibe in lighting, acting and narrative. It felt like a dark film without a single blue sky in it, and I'm not sure that was a good idea. For another, some things didn't work as well as the original. When she tells him he's just an Okie with straight teeth it didn't have much significance because I never thought Bradley was really trying to be above it all like Tyrone did so well. The climax was still as awkward and "what did he expect?" as it was in the first. Adding in that the rich dude may deserve to die seems to try and give pathos to Cooper, but I didn't feel it much. Overall, the first was much more fun.

On the upside the movie clipped along okay. The length has more to do with this film taking some 50 minutes to get to the beginning of the first. I miss the day of jumping into a story rather than getting the full origin.

Carl LaFong and JediJones like this.
  9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I enjoyed this. I thought Bradley Cooper was wrong for his role, but other than that I thought it was very, very good.

Michael likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I loved the film because of the look, because it's really atmospheric, colorful, dark, and beautiful. But damn, it's really, really depressing. Be prepared for that. And I agree with the previous comments in this thread that Nightmare Alley is way too long -- 150 minutes is crazy.

JediJones likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

watch it for yourself and then form your own opinion...there is not one time what I read on a forum made up mind whether to see a movie or not..I appreciate the feedback but it's never a deal breaker...

Pete Puma, Paul J and JediJones like this.
  12. Michael

I thought he did a great job...my wife and I enjoyed him and the entire movie...who would you have playing his part? : )

Pete Puma, Chris DeVoe and EddieMann like this.
  13. Michael

at one point he tells us who and what he is...: )

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ralph Fiennes kept popping up in my head while I watched.

finslaw and Michael like this.
  15. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I said earlier in the thread Christian Bale. Maybe Josh Brolin. Because the guy is basically supposed to be a bastard straight through the whole film, I don't see the advantage in trying to make the audience like him upfront by casting a doe-eyed innocent in the part. He has to be handsome enough for the romance to work, but should still show a dark side and not be trusted by the audience.

trumpet sounds and EddieMann like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Because the fall of a bastard is neither surprising or interesting. If you like him, you can empathize with him - you can see yourself tempted in the same ways. The flashbacks to his leaving home showed that he'd always been a bastard.

Aggie87 likes this.
  17. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Amen to the tenth power. I will NOT be looking at any remakes.

18. I watched this on HBO Max and liked it well enough to recommend it, to fans of the original, but I prefer the original. Bradley Cooper was good for the role in my opinion, it has been a long time since I have seen the original, so my comparison could change if I watch it again. The original is a film I have thought of often over the decades since first watching it. I think that was my favorite Tyrone Power film, but I would have to look at his filmography to confirm that.

19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

But in the opening scene, while it wasn't clear, it...
    looked like he burned an old man's body and his home. We later find out the man was his father and he killed him first. But the opening looked suspicious enough to make me assume he was already a nasty customer of some sort.
    So, given that, who was starting out the movie thinking of him as a likable or relatable guy?

woody and agentalbert like this.
  20. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Tell that to my taste buds. Blech!

unclefred likes this.
  21. Tim Lookingbill

I was thinking George Clooney since he looks like Tyrone Power. He's already played a character from that era the movie takes place in O Brother Where Art Thou?.

He did do some convincing down and out and desperate intense reactionary character acting. Just tone it down a bit for the Nightmare Alley remake.

JediJones, Michael and Carl LaFong like this.
  22. Tim Lookingbill

I believe this is the problem with the Stan character in that it is made too ambiguous for the audience to feel one way or the other which nulls that character's development arc. Those flashbacks of a burning house are taken to be too symbolic adding to the ambiguity of what motivates Stan.

In the original Tyrone Power's Stan tells Zeena at the start of the movie why he belongs and feels at home as a carny and has already settled in as an employee of the carnival. No burning house or Daddy issues. There's no ambiguity at the outset. He's just ambitious which is quite relateable to an audience.

JediJones likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I just watched this on Hulu a couple of days ago. I never saw the original so I wasn’t mentally comparing as I watched. I thought this movie was pretty good. Visually interesting, well filmed with good to great acting all around. Some characters were not well developed in the script. The story line was interesting to me as I never knew much about the original. The movie flew by regardless of its length.

JediJones likes this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We enjoyed it. It was free though. I could see how some would think it overly long. del Toro's films always seem to have a visual style that appeals to me.

JediJones likes this.
  25. Michael

Clooney? nah..IMO, the only movie he hadn't been a drag in is Oh Brother.