"Nightmare Alley" (new 2021 Guillermo del Toro film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I could see him in this...but, I like Cooper best for the role...happy the way it is.

EddieMann and Daedalus like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

‘Happy with what you have to be happy with’to quote KC.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

there ya go! it works...

Daedalus likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I guess you didn't see Intolerable Cruelty. Or Burn After Reading. Or Welcome to Collinwood. Or any of the Oceans movies.

Oatsdad and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

I SAW THEM ALL...and own them on home video...BUT I am not a fan of GEORGE CLOONEY....? does everyone have to be a fan because you are? just curious....next question? after your answer. ; )

6. Chris DeVoe

I was saying that he wasn't a "drag" in those films. Or Leatherheads.

I see a lot of movies, and see a wide range of work from actors. It's like the accepted view that Nicholas Cage is a habitual over-actor. I guess those people didn't see his quiet work in Snowden.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  7. woody

woody Forum Resident

Clooney is way too old for this part.

I would like to see a shorter cut, without all the flashbacks and a tighter edit.

JediJones likes this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I haven't seen either film yet, but recently read the book. It's really dark. The author struggled with alcoholism, dabbled in spiritualism, and killed himself in the infamous Hotel Carter in Times Sq. (Called The Dixie Hotel at the time). It was very well written-powerful in a way that tells you the writer "has been there."

JediJones likes this.
  9. My wife and I watched this last night.
    Neither of us have seen the original version.
    I found the movie good looking and fun to view.

The rest of the movie was far too predictable.
    For instance, by the time Stanton (Cooper) meets Dr. Ritter (Blanchett) I was 98% certain where Stanton would end up....and he did.
    As Clem (Dafoe) is showing Stanton around and talking to him about the alcohol I knew what would eventually happen...and it did.
    As the movie unfolded I became less and less interested because the next steps were too predictable...there was zero suspense, mystery, or twist to any of the story.
    Unfortunately I was right with every instance with the only things "surprising" me being how they literally went about filling that portion of the story.

To me this movie was slow, plodding, far too predictable, very good to look at, and generally not anywhere near as good as I was hoping based on reviews and general talk concerning the movie.
    The actors did there jobs quite well though because the characters they portrayed were convincing....even if predictable.
    My wife commented that much of the movie was weird and confusing and it did not engage her in the least.

I won't say this is a terrible movie, because it is not, but I will not likely recommed this to anyone either.
    Too bad because I wanted it to be good.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The only thing we liked about this new version is that they stuck with the ending that Tyrone Power wanted. Other than that the original beats it in every way.

JediJones, maui jim and finslaw like this.
  11. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Watched the original yesterday for the first time. Looking forward to seeing this one soon

JediJones and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That's effectively del Toro's calling card though, no surprises there.

JediJones likes this.
  13. Michael

fair enough...the problem for me is when they open their pie holes when they are not acting...Cooney is on top of the list...of a know nothing all...my wife and I are fans of Cage...she can't stand Clooney.

Bill Hart and JediJones like this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The one movie I really liked Clooney in was The American (2010) playing an assassin.

‘We watched Nightmare Alley last night and both agreed it was pretty good. Great performances by Cooper and the always great Cate Blanchett.

ronbow likes this.
  15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

. . . Or Michael Clayton.

16. Chris DeVoe

I mentioned those particular films, because if I was responding to somebody who claimed that he couldn't play comedy. Michael Clayton, while an excellent film, is basically a drama.

17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Ah, yes, sorry - o brother!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, at least The Shape of Water had a happier ending. As did Hellboy.

19. Michael

the period sets were perfect...

johnod and cleandan like this.
  20. I really liked Dr. Ritters office.
    Just imagine how grand that room would be...or how much it would cost to replicate with period correct materials in today's money.....WHEW!

EddieMann, Chris DeVoe and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

Indeed...an incredible amount and it would probably not be as beautiful...those craftsmen are long gone...the quality of their workmanship was amazing.

22. Michael

there really could be no other ending in this remake! it was quite predictable in the choices he made throughout the movie...he was doomed after his first killing.

Aggie87 and JediJones like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Right, it was clearly leading to this awful conclusion, and there was no other way it could have gone. But good god... once you see what a carnival geek was really like, you think, "how could anybody wind up doing that?" And now we know.

apesfan and JediJones like this.
  24. Michael

Indeed! that stuck with me as well...it was just terrible.

25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The original shows the Cooper line "I was made or born to be a geek "said by Powers. Only difference is that's not where it ended. It later shows Power's Stan going mad from the DT's from getting hooked on the concoction that aided him in becoming a geek that had him crazily running around the carnival grounds at night where Molly finally soothes him and calms him down showing she stood by him and didn't abandon him.

A much different ending humanely than the remake even though somewhat similar. I think I prefer the original's ending, but I think the remake's ending would've had more impact if they just fleshed out Cooper's version of Stan at the outset of the movie.