Nilsson Album-by-Album Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rdnzl88, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Wow Mike, what an honour to have you here! Can you shed some light on the way these backingtracks were created? Did Harry do a lot of overdubbing himself, or were the backingtracks fully realized in a Brian Wilson kind of way? Did Harry write out charts or chord sheets or did he just play the songs? And did he bring in reference records for certain songs or sounds? Was he involved in the technical side of recording? What was your favourite microphone on his voice?

cwitt1980 and Hep Alien like this.
  2. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

How different is the LP version from the single version?

The RCA box is also missing the spoken interlude that appeared on Aerial Pandemonium Ballet, I believe.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The single re-dubbed the line 'pizzing me off'

pobbard likes this.
  4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My question, relating to my earlier post, would be: Were all the Point songs recorded as standalone songs with proper intros and endings? If so, I wish someone would dig through the vaults and release them.

Tord and Hep Alien like this.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary Well-Known Member

Lotsa questions, good ones, too! I'll try my best to answer, feel free to ask if I've missed the gist of your questions. First of all, Harry was THE VOICE on both albums, and I believe, all of his albums. No charts, no chord sheets, no nothing, except his amazing ability to accompany himself, "A chorus of one." It was a second engineer's nightmare on 'Sings Newman' because we started running out of tracks and had to mix two/three tracks down and 'bounce' them to one to gain more room. Harry was no tech geek, he depended on us to be there. He did like mixing and sat at 'rough mixes' giving advice on what track was what, cripes, I'd love to see the track sheet again from 'Sings Newman', we lost count at 20 overdubs. We had some of his voices in tape-delayed echo and panned left to right, rising and falling as the song built and became just Harry, one voice. It's why that it took both Allen Zentz and I to be at the board, all faders full. If there was any 'secret', it was a hell of a headphone buss we had at Heider's and it took me to actually mix that as Harry laid on voice after voice after voice. If you listen close, you can hear Harry asking for a different headphone mix, since I'd gotten lost whether it was live or previous! Very seldom did Harry go sharp or flat, we got used to his facial expressions and were fast to react, which is one reason that album was able to be done, Allen and I had to be on our toes and fingers, and we lived each song! Used a Neuman U-47 tube mic, which I kept wrapped up, so only Harry could use it. 'The Point', compared to "Sings" was easy money, but, we finally got rid of the second engineer and moved the MM-1000 over next to me, so we could cut multiple voices 'on the fly'. I need a beer after this, feel free to ask anything about two of my all-time favorite records and, of course, a great pal and artist! I miss him.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    zobalob, Chippoh, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  6. Mike Leary

No. Just Harry. :whistle:

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Mike Leary

Each song was recorded as stand alone, but bear in mind, Harry was aware of the room he had with the visuals, the songs had to be tailored to match. He and I met with the visual guys a lot to check on the pacing.

Chippoh, Hep Alien and Peace N. Love like this.
  8. Mike Leary

I'd be glad to. Before Harry convinced me to come to RCA in Hollywood, I was in Seattle and Harry would send me tapes of the band tracks (that I did not record) with rough vocals on them. He would say, 'Can we get this track down to 2.38 min. or such'? I would take my trusty razor blade and cut pieces, here and there, to get the timing. When I got to RCA, we cut the 2" master tape accordingly. Splicing masters was not for the timid, you had one shot, but I was 'old school' and, being a musician, I could make the splices while still keeping the beat. We approached the audio as one would for a normal (Ha! Harry was not a 'Normal' artist) record, only within the boundries of it being a film track. One memory: I came down to RCA with my dog 'Sven" who, as far as I know, was the only dog permitted in the hallowed studios . Harry got a lot of inspiration from Sven and thus 'Oblio' was modified. I'll take a listen to the album, and see if there is anything I can comment (or remember) about.

Tord, Chippoh, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  9. Mike Leary

I, honestly, don't know who else could have pulled it off. I had not listened to it for years and years, my wife got the CD, and we heard it on our so-so motor home spkrs., Brought tears to my eyes, all the memories of my time with Harry came rushing back! :cheers:

Yorick and Hep Alien like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The more I read about Harry the more impressed I am with him and that's saying a lot! The guy was a genius performer and my respect only increases with time.

11. Mike Leary

I wish all of you could have been in the studio when I did 'Nilsson Sings Newman' and 'The Point' I could hardly pay attention to my engineering sometimes because he would, out of his brain, alone, weave such fantastic multiple, multiple "Nilssons"

Yorick, Hep Alien, Chippoh and 2 others like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I wish I could have been there too!

Mike Leary likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Cool, I never knew about the "Did Somebody Drop His Mouse?" documentary!

It start getting good around 7:30 in the studio.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Mike Leary

I sure was pissed off when I heard the CD of 'Nilsson Sings Newman'. It was meant as a concept album, that is, from the beginning to ending, the listener got a 'journey through a life'. What did we get at the end? Out takes, stuff we dropped from the original record, that, IMHO, wrecked the feeling we meant all listeners to have at the end of side 'B'. I don't know if Harry was still alive or had any control of the re-master, but I'm sure he would have been as upset as I was!

15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Ah, OK. It seems that the ones with that house logo are his best albums, in my opinion. Kind of like a GM "mark of excellence" or something like that.

Mike Leary likes this.
  16. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

GOt it thx. I was interested in seeing the movie because of the Nilsson songs, but I think I have changed myh mind after the Phyllis Diller thing mentioned earlier :cussing:

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but a long-standing mystery has finally been solved. The bass player that is finger-synching to Klaus Voormann's handiwork in this clip is Rick Wills, according to Twitter's official Harry Nilsson feed:

Of course, the soprano sax player is Bobby Keys, playing along to his own recording.

Hep Alien and Chippoh like this.
  18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Other than the Fisher King soundtrack where can I find this song on cd?

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

Promo only single in '91, and the Soundtrack (as you mentioned) are the only places this very nice track has shown up as far as I know.

Promo single has an edited version on the "A" side and the soundtrack version on the flip.

Hep Alien and jeffrey walsh like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

The Sound Track LP has:
    08. How About You (swing version) (04:18)
    Sung and Wistled by Harry Nillson

Besides the single, is their another version which is not the (swing version)?

21. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

Never have seen any other "versions" of this except the edit on the single.

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Looked through the box figuring it was a bonus only not to find it.
    What a fabulous cover, Harry was one of the best!

23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

What made him so awful?

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

To be clear, I never met the man, but I've read he abused chemicals as much as those around him. Further, after John Lennon died, he took up positions that I personally find highly wrongheaded and offensive, but those are topics considered off limits in this forum. The documentary 'Who is Harry Nilsson' is a starting point to learn more.

25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I've watched it several times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.