Nilsson Sings Newman - Analog Spark or Speakers Corner?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barney_Tabasco, May 18, 2021.

1. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident Thread Starter

After the best pressing of this, one of my favourite albums. Anybody have either or both?

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have an original pressing and the Analog Spark. They both sound very good. I’ve never actually done a head to head. I’ve never heard the Speakers Corner so I can’t comment on that. So I guess, to further confuse things, don’t rule out the original pressing either if you come across one at a good price.

Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  3. Barney_Tabasco

Thank you. I’ll keep an eye for an original (or an AS - hard to come by in UK).

4. RCA deep groove Canadian pressing.

5. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Is Analog Spark done? No releases since 2018. A shame, the releases I picked up for them were all top notch. Seemed like a real player in the Audiophile world then POOF!

6. Barney_Tabasco

I was thinking the same thing the other day.

7. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I just got a copy of this Analog Spark release and I much prefer it to my original RCA pressing. Seems more detailed and dynamic to me. Some of the vocal layers really jump out at you and I'm hearing some details, particularly with reverb tails, I couldn't quite hear so well on the previous version. Very quiet, flat, and on center pressing as well. Couldn't be happier with the sound and this is one of my favorite albums.

I ordered from this store and they appear to be in stock still. Unfortunately mine came with a bent corner and seam split, but the record sounds so good I don't even want to bother with an exchange and will deal with the not in great shape cover.

8. Barney_Tabasco

Wish it was a UK store! Hard to find over here.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Kevin Gray remastered the Analog Spark reissue

10. Eric Kim

Eric Kim Forum Resident

I have only heard the Analog Spark pressing and I’ll say it’s probably my favorite vinyl I own. Sounds very different to me compared to the cd or streaming versions, but in a good way where I can hear details better.

Michael Ries likes this.
  11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

An original is good enough. They aren't expensive or hard to find.

This has been a "grower" album to me. Now it's my favourite Nilsson album...great, beautiful warm feeling of nostalgia..the music, the cover... everything fits perfectly.
    A great listening for this pre Christmas days

12. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Got an original pressing of this; wow, it sounds incredible and plenty good enough for me.

Library Eye likes this.
  13. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

A shame there's never been (or has there?) a vinyl edition adding Snow as a bonus track. Seems a waste for this album to ever lack it again, ever since it was added on CD decades ago— it's the absolute highlight.

Peter_R and Tgreg like this.
  14. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Love "Snow" as well; highly recommend anyone that enjoy this album to get the CD also. Any recommended vinyl version from you?

Library Eye likes this.
  15. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

I have one version on vinyl, an old analog one, US pressing for sure — don't have it easily accessible and haven't heard it in forever, though from what I recall it sounded perfect enough or better.