Nirvana...In Utero..."Steve Albini mix": the definitive thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Oct 15, 2017.

1. Sentient(Jæ)Ant

Sentient(Jæ)Ant Well-Known Member

Reading this thread was sort of like listening In Utero, except much, much worse.

Kidding aside, the upshot for me is that I've now ordered the 2013 2xLP 45rpm remastered album, now assured that this was created from PRE-LUDWIG original master tapes. I hold nothing against Ludwig in general, and his mastering of In Utero was probably affected by the preferences of others, but it seems to me that it really did not serve the music very well. Which is why I'm looking forward to hearing this 45rpm album remastered by Steve Albini so much.

Also now very curious about the "320 stamper" version. Part of the reason I ordered the remaster instead of the 320 is that the 320 is a single LP, and with the album running about 42 minutes, I would guess that there has to be some compromise to sonic fidelity here- inner-groove distortion, etc. BUT, it now occurs to me that 320 might not even be mastered at all, and if it does get really quiet in some parts, perhaps it was able to fit into a single LP without compromising the listening experience of whatever that thing even is?

2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Too me the original mix is annoying because the drums are too sharp dry and up front in the mix. Difference is slightly gut to me otherwise

3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I have the 320 version and can confirm that parts of it are very very quiet.

Sentient(Jæ)Ant likes this.
  4. Sentient(Jæ)Ant

Sentient(Jæ)Ant Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.
    Incidentally, I've since learned that the 45rpm remaster was not done by Albini but "BG" (I'm forgetting his name).

5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I put it on today because of this thread. The intro to “Frances Farmer” is damn near silent!

Sentient(Jæ)Ant likes this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

So I was reading through this thread because I decided to pull out the vinyl of the 2013 Albini remix today for the first time in a long time. The message I quoted above represents a whole slew of equally meandering, nonsensical and outright circular posts from the same person who, after being (to put it mildly) corrected about a dozen times, persisted that (a) what Albini released in 2013 was what he actually did in 1993; (b) mastering in 1993 completely overhauled Albini’s original mixes; (c) mastering, mixing, remixing and remastering are all the same thing; (d) In Utero was “one of the first shots in the loudness wars.”

I would ask that no one willingly subject themselves to these posts, but if you do, I promise a certain monologue from the film Billy Madison will punch you squarely in the face. Consider if one of the most recent shots in the inanity wars.

baconbadge, Soundslave and No Bull like this.
  7. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

The 2013 mix is a totally new mix done by Albini and surviving band members, while the 320/B2B reissue is the original discarded Albini mix. Two different mixes. Do I have this right? I’m trying to decide whether to buy the 2013 mix vinyl or the B2B.

8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

That is correct. The 320/B2B is the original 1993 Albini version and is either a different master or unmastered

pexie likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, there are only 2 mixes of In Utero- the original and the 2013 mix. There is no discarded Albini mix aside from 2 songs - his mixes of Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies, which were redone by Scott Litt. Also the mastering engineer added some EQ to the whole album for the final master.

The Back To Black is the original album mix as approved by everyone in 1993. The difference to the regular version of In Utero is the rawer mastering and that the BTB has the original Albini mixes of Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies.

10. danielkov86

Thanks guys.

Personally, I don't like the Albini mixes of HSB and AA. BUT, I'm intrigued by the different mastering available through the 2013 mix or B2B. My copy is the ORG, mastered by Bernie Grundman, I believe. Could someone maybe comment on the 320 and B2B copies, which one sounds better, how they differ? My understanding is the drums and bass are louder on the 320, which I would love to hear.

DTK likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I know it's probably been stated several times but this was the timeline of events.

-February 1993 - Band record In Utero with Steve Albini in Minneapolis.

-March - April 1993 - Reports circulate that Geffen feel the album is to raw-sounding. Kurt and Krist kind of agree in the case of some songs. Albini decline to do further work and says "do what you want, it's your album. The 2003 Back To Black vinyl release likely contains the master as it was at this stage.

-May 1993 - Kurt goes into the studio with Scott Litt. He adds backing vocals and some acoustic guitar to Heart-Shaped Box. Scott remixes Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies.

-Summer 1993. Bob Ludwig masters the whole album rather aggressively, boosting the vocals and mid-range apparently. No remixing. Both label and band sings off on it. Album is released in September with Scott Litt remixes of Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies. All other mixes are by Albini.

-November 1993. Scott Litt remixes Pennyroyal Tea for upcoming single release.

-Wal-Mart meanwhile refuse to sell the album with "Rape Me" on the cover. A Wal-Mart release is done in March 1994. It has Scott Litt remixes of Heart-Shaped Box, All Apologies and Pennyroyal Tea and "Waif Me" instead of "Rape Me".

12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The bass and drums hit a bit harder and the vocals sit lower on the 320/B2B mastering. I like it better

DTK likes this.
  13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Probably cribbed from The Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed" inner sleeve, which told listeners to "PLAY LOUD" in 1969. Volume is kind of old news...

baconbadge likes this.
  14. danielkov86

I see, thanks. Have you heard the 2013 remix? Would you say the same about that release?

15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The 2013 remix sounds closer to the mastered, final 1993 mix as far as general levels are concerned. The biggest differences in the 2013 mix are different solos, changes in which songs include cello, things like that.

DTK likes this.
  16. danielkov86

Thanks! Looks like I'm just gonna have to buy both. :o

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s a strategy that worked well for me!

danielkov86 likes this.
  18. danielkov86

So I got the 2013 mix vinyl and listened to the first LP last night. Really interesting mix, though not sure I prefer it over the original. What I do like about it is the fact that the drums and bass are turned up more; and what I don't like are some of the mix choices (what's going on with that alternate solo in "Serve The Servants"? and I don't like the fully separated harmony vocal in the first verse of HSB.)

Wish they had a version of the album that combined the general sound of the 2013 mix with the original mix choices of the commercial 1993 release.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Look for the Back to Black pressing with 320 in the dead wax. Original commercial mix, sounds great.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

I prefer the 1993 mixes. I don’t like some of the mixing decisions made on the 2013 mix.

DTK likes this.
  21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The 2013 mix of "In Utero" is a deliberate alternate mix. It was specifically made to highlight elements on the tapes that were left off or buried in the original mixes.

It is not a re-imagining or an attempted improvement on the original mix. Making critical comparisons to the original mix and complaining about different guitar solos and so forth kinda misses the point.

22. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

I love In Utero.

That being said, as a rule I find remixes of albums wherein the main creative force of said album is dead to be ghoulish. It’s like a form of necrophilia to me.

Whether or not the 1993 mixing of In Utero is “perfect” is subject to one’s own feelings, but it was the version that Kurt approved of while he was alive. Maybe he wasn’t perfectly happy with it, but he was content enough to allow his name on it and promote and tour it.

Anything beyond that to me is like fan fiction if you will. It’s kind of ghoulish. I feel the same way about “Let it Be Naked” since John and George weren’t around to give their two cents toward that.

For me, an album is a moment in time. Its a snapshot of what the artist was feeling at a particular point and where their head was at.

It’s cool perhaps to hear later interpretations of that moment by the artist themselves, but if the main creative force isn’t around to lend their opinion on that reinterpretation, to me it just…idk. It doesn’t sit right.

Radiohead99, Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Of course; the bass player and drummer are the only ones alive so they can mix themselves as loud as they want to ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  24. danielkov86

Haha, that's what I thought when I read that they personally mixed it with Albini.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Oh man, what a confusing and hilarious first few pages! Glad I found this thread, though, because the last two are much more sane and informative. Thanks to everyone involved (except for the confused/confusing element).

Just to see if I've got it straight...

The 320/B2B is the original 1993 - all Albini, no Litt, pre-Ludwig.

Have I got it right?

Hep Alien likes this.