Nirvana’s Nevermind : does it still matters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atomic Punk, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I listened to nirvana and ac/dc.

Detroit Rock Citizen, CoachD and tkl7 like this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey my neighbor was the producer of the last ever nirvana recording session #themoreyouknow

Soundslave, DTK, edkall and 1 other person like this.
  3. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You find In Utero boring but you have a Radio K.A.O.S. avatar. That, my friend, is ironic.

4. roger87

roger87 Forum Resident

Radio K.A.O.S. is a work of art chock full of melodies wrapped in a cold-war aesthetic.
    In Utero is deliberately abrasive and at times, atonal. Except, of course, for All Apologies.

One album makes my spirit soar, the other makes me nod off.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, they sure were popular with teens by then.

6. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

See awesome... party.

7. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I did too. Like I said, not my favorite, but they absolutely were a historical turning point in music. Sure others might have ventured the road before, but they grabbed the attention of main stream and epitomized the shift. Once the radio and the change in music was saturated I hated it. As said before it was all anger, frustration and while extremely creative, very limited in musicality. Now I know some are gonna come on and say that their music was groundbreaking original and extremely talented. But come on, if you’ve ever picked up a guitar there is no way you’re going to say any of that is in league with some of the classic rock bands of the past. It was primal rudimental music about self deprivation, sadness, loneliness and unhappiness.

I own Nevermind.. don’t spin much, ok I don’t know if ever past right after I bought it. But I own it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

IMO it holds up really well as a great rock record crammed with great tunes, and kids experiencing it today I think it sounds modern as rock really hasn't changed much since then anyway.

CoachD and JosepZ like this.
  9. julienbakerfan

julienbakerfan Julien is her name, not mine

I find it odd that people keep saying that Nevermind was the last big rock album, when there have been quite a few rock albums with huge sales and cultural impact since then. Specifically:
    Enema of the State by blink-182
    Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge/The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
    American Idiot by Green Day
    Slipknot/Iowa by Slipknot
    Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park.
    From Under The Cork Tree/Infinity On High by Fall Out Boy
    The first four Breaking Benjamin albums.

All these albums were popular with the casuals, but also served as a gateway to more underground music in a way that Nevermind did.

Not to mention the huge boost in popularity that rock (classic and modern) gained from Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  10. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

My teens were in the 90's, so grunge was an absolutely contemporary phenomenon for me. So much so that it served as the gateway drug to music! In fact, the very first album I heard was... Vs... on cassette that my classmate boroughed to me, I was so hooked on it, he gave me Ten a few days later... the rest is history.
    Funnily, even back then Nirvana was our least favorite band of that "big four"... somehow, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains all appealed to us more... and that' a feeling that have lasted. Having said that, Nevermind is still pretty good, but maybe its IMPORTANCE is much bigger than its actual value in itself.

And yes, I think that was the last big era of rock music.

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

To each his own but my opinion on these two albums is the reverse of yours. And you talk about Kurt rating to alienate his fans. Roger seems to try to alienate everyone in his path, fans or otherwise.

12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Did you forget this one?

Buddybud likes this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Honestly, I do try to forget that Jane’s Addiction ever existed, although they certainly did.

I would categorize them as their own special brand of awful.

14. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

I was 16 when Nevermind hit, 18 for In Utero, 19 when he shot himself. They meant a lot to me at time but now, not so much. I can hear why they appealed to me as a teenager, but to still hold them up that high now would seem pretty stunted. I mean, there's so much music in the world for me to listen to. If I want to scratch that particular itch, I'd rather listen to Joy Division. Ian Curtis wrote better lyrics.

rlj1010 likes this.
  15. CaptainFeedback1

Also, Siamese Dream was so much better than anything Nirvana managed to do.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Wait up, aren't you the guy that worships Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne? Classic.

qwyjibo and tkl7 like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nothing wrong with Taylor Swift.

CaptainFeedback1 and JoeRockhead like this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Beavis and Butthead premiered in March 1993.

19. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

If you remember the 90's you weren't there ;)

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I was there. I looked it up on the googles.

Buddybud likes this.
  21. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

This. Spot on.

Which leads to...

All great albums those. Especially MCR who came closest to making a more permanent and emphatic mark on music but who ultimately remained niche or sub-genre if you like. None of those albums changed the course of music on a wide scale by virtue of the fact that Nirvana had already done that and in so doing, paved the way for those guys. Those albums are the legacy of Nirvana, esp emo. You could argue that Linkin Park acts as a bridge between the past (grunge) and future (hip hop).

I wouldn't say that Nirvana's Nevermind was the last great rock album. But I would say that Nevermind was the last rock album to dominate an entire industry and impact music on a social, cultural and quasi-political level, changing people's attitudes, behaviour, the way they dressed, the way they perceived themselves and others, their worldview - all that - on a wide scale. And this is why Nevermind will always matter.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Spencer R likes this.
  22. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I was 15 or so when Nevermind came out. The reasons the album resonated for me (not initially at first, btw, I only really appreciated Nirvana after In Utero came out) are because
    1) Cobain was calling bullsh!t on all of the music (business) that had come before ("come on people now, smile on your brother")
    2) though not apparent from listening to the album, I found out later that Cobain came from a broken home, as did I. There's a special bond that the children of divorce share - a kind of pain that nothing (money, drugs, fame) will ever heal
    3) the album truly was (is) an alternative to mainstream music - now more than ever. I've yet to hear another album with the combination of hooks and sonics that Nevermind delivers (Pinkerton, maybe).

btw, I'm with you on Joy Division. Another great band.

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

While I do think In Utero is the band's best album, I've come to realize that it is mostly older material. Which doesn't matter because it's all killer no filler. But it's a bit saddening that Kurt's creative output seems to have nosedived after the band got massive. In 1986-91 he was like a fountain. Old and bored...

Serve The Servants -1992
    Scentless Apprentice -1992
    Heart-Shaped Box -1992
    Rape Me -mid 1991
    Frances Farmer - early 1992
    Dumb - 1990
    Very Ape - 1992
    Milk It - 1992 or 1993
    Pennyroyal Tea - 1990
    Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - 1990
    Tourettes - 1990 or 1989 or earlier
    All Apologies - 1990

And after the recording of In Utero until his death he only wrote two songs as far as we know.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. CaptainFeedback1

Most of those are 1992, which is pretty much what I'd expect for a 1993 album..?

That aside, I agree with your last point.

DTK likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah 7 new songs and 6 older songs. Half old/half new. But yes he was reasonably creative in 1992. And then just seemed to dry up.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.