Nirvana’s Nevermind : does it still matters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atomic Punk, Jun 9, 2020.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

In the words of Homer Simpson:

‘What is Mind? No Matter!
    What is Matter? Nevermind.’

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Because?

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Never did.
    Overrated crap.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It was a good album then, and it still is.

5. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Bad grammar aside. Yes it does.

ARK, Neonbeam, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  6. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

still waiting for the next tsunami/wave in rock music

30 years , it's too long - rock is dead, i guess.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  7. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

if there was a class in post-nirvana rock music , i would give you a huge F

bad, BAD taste in rock music , bro (sorry)

8. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I'm afraid it is for now. Royal Blood had a decent shot at reviving the genre a bit more, but they've fallen off the radar now. Jimmy Page praised them to the heavens when they first appeared on the scene but even that wasn't enough. Rock will become popular again at some point, just have to wait for the pendulum to swing back the other way.

Soundslave and proedros like this.
  9. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

If we're holding click tracked, over processed rubbish like Royal Blood up as an example of good rock music, maybe it's best if we just let the genre die. Also, nobody should care a **** what Jimmy page thinks. Hardly a glowing endorsement to anyone under 60.

Man at C&A, Kenny Green and DTK like this.
  10. julienbakerfan

julienbakerfan Julien is her name, not mine

Imagine being this rude for no reason

ARK and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  11. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I liked their first album but not keen on what they've produced since. Bit of a one trick pony in the end. But still...yes, that's what it's come to. I haven't discovered any band doing anything interesting. There are some very, very good rock bands out there but they're just good at doing what has gone on before. Nothing new under the sun. Not yet anyway.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I sincerely doubt it.
    It would take a singular talent like Kurt Cobain again, and even if one comes along it's unlikely to make an impact like in the 90s.
    The world we live in now is not really suited for rock music. Music doesn't have the societal impact it used to have, it's merely something semi-free that's not as fun as apps and social media and video games. It's for the gym, for boinking, for background, but means little to most people beyond mere entertainment.

905 and Spencer R like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The “future” of rock music is Greta Van Fleet dressing up in their hobbit costumes and cosplaying 70s classic rock for those who missed it the first time around.

If some new John Lennon actually came along, he or she would develop an app or be a YouTube star or something like that, as you note.

14. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant when I said to wait for the pendulum to swing the other way. Someone will emerge again as the 'voice of a generation' or some such. It'll happen. Maybe not any time soon, and maybe not in the traditional form we are used to, but it will happen eventually (I am still talking about rock).

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The voice of the generation has emerged, but in the form of Taylor Swift or Billie Eilish or Kendrick Lamar, not in the form of the Rock Messiah for whom true believers still faithfully wait.

16. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I don't think so. I don't know that any of those people are in fact the singular voice of a generation, certainly not in the traditional sense. Don't think that person has come along yet (god I sound like I'm talking about the messiah!) lol.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t know enough about Billie Eilish to pass any pronouncement on her ultimate merits as a songwriter/artist, but from my vantage point as a moldy oldie, she appears to have connected with her generation in much the same way that Cobain did with his. Do I fully understand why she has green hair, dresses the way she does, or what exactly “ASMR music” is and how she’s tapped into that trend, that apparently the kids are into these days? No, but my father didn’t understand why rock spoke to me the way it did, either.

How Billie Eilish Became an ASMR Icon

She’s doing her thing, whatever it is, and connecting with young people today on their terms. Which is as it should be. There is no new John Lennon or Kurt Cobain coming along to restore rock to its rightful throne. No matter how much anyone wishes or dreams that that might so.

18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Yeses, it stills doeses.

ARK likes this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Billie Eilish definitely seems to’ve taken over the zeitgeist, at least for now. Before her, I think Tyler the Creator and Odd Future made a huge splash and drew a cultural line in the sand. Watching their late night debut felt like seeing the Teen Spirit video for the first time to me. They were hugely influenced by Nirvana and I hear a lot of similarities to Kurt in Tyler’s approach to writing. The genre is different but it feels like it’s coming from a similar headspace. And then Tyler was a huge influence on Billie.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

One could argue that Cobain was at once the last rock star and also a bit of the John the Baptist for the emo/goth/“life is pain”/ “oh well, whatever, never mind” postmodern vibe that we currently live in today and that Eilish is putting out.

AnotherBoss likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Possibly, but Kurt was also very funny. He’d surround his tortured, sad lyrics with purposeful contradictions and in-jokes. For every bit of himself he let show, he wrapped it up in something confusing or weird. That’s a lot of what I hear in Tyler, the confessional stuff juxtaposed with non sequiters and in-jokes.

22. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

as long as there are kids out there eager to listen to some true rock music , NVM will always matters

just like dsotm does , just like LZ4 does , just like every great rock album does

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s also the vibe I get from Eilish, or at least from the trailer to her Apple TV documentary that I’ve seen before watching other shows on that service. She doesn’t interest me enough to watch the whole documentary, but she seems to have a sense of humor in real life to go along with the “I’m sad” vibe of her music.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  24. Kenny Green

Kenny Green Well-Known Member

Hi
    I usually don't care what other people say, or write, or what they do or don't like
    Do your thing and I'll do mine
    I also usually try to not knock things off topic, but you are characterizing a new up and comer in a fashion that's just not the case
    Whether you enjoy her or not
    To associate or draw parallels between Billie Eilish and anything Nirvana or Kurt Cobain just lets me know you have never seriously spun up anything for real by Billie, as in a real listen
    You should try actually listening to her records first before you imply things that aren't so

Probably the most talented female vocalist on the scene today
    Very sophisticated, very subtle, very nuanced
    Her phrasing is as skilled in her style as Sinatra was in his
    Blows me away when I think about how young she is
    The "p" word comes to mind, prodigy
    Very refreshing for a change

My only complaint is her brother's addiction to computer generated sub bass on so many of her songs but then again that's what a good EQ is for!
    If a little's good then a whole lot's better sort of thing, as in it ain't necessarily so
    But who am I to complain as they obviously work so well together, just lighten up on it just a little bit
    and like I said, I just dial it back a little

She's wonderful, just hope that as she grows she is able to work with other producers
    Then again, if it ain't broke, but I'd like to hear her eventually just be free
    She's got it goin' on, big time
    That's just how I feel
    Kenny

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Kenny Green

Kenny Green Well-Known Member

:agree:

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.