Nirvana’s Next Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

The yearbook was 1993/1994. Notice how the blurb states that Nirvana would be headlining Lollapalooza, which obviously never happened. The Peanuts strip was from 2000.

905 and Dodoz like this.
  2. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Going by the rock and roll playbook their next release would have strayed further from their sound, taken longer to record and seen both as a commercial flop by critics and a masterpiece by devoted fans. The next release after that would have been a "return to form" with Butch Vig "at the helm" followed by a media blitz and some interesting stories about cleaning toilets.

But seriously "you know your right" is the missing link and going by that Kurt gave zero f*cks and the album would have been amazing.

John Bliss and peskypesky like this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

And bear in mind that "You Know You're Right" as we know it wasn't necessarily a finished studio recording.

Crosseyed likes this.
  4. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I would have loved for him to do some collaborations with the likes of J Mascis, Elliott Smith....maybe PJ Harvey....

John Bliss, ghoulsurgery and Dodoz like this.
  5. peskypesky

Awesome track

Dodoz likes this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Well...PJ Harvey turned down going on tour with Nirvana. Not that she didn't like them necessarily but she didn't feel like it! Would Polly been up for a collaboration? Yes or no, but it would have been good!

peskypesky likes this.
  7. peskypesky

hell yeah. If Grohl and Stevie Nicks could make a good song, you know Kurt and PJ coulda too.

Dodoz likes this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This is undated, as everything on this release, and we can only speculate. It sounds like it could have been recorded from 1991 onwards, stylistically (and there's some vague resemblance with "Heart-Shaped Box"). It's one of the most interesting scraps in my opinion. I wish Kurt had taken this one to band practice! Not groundbreaking but a nice little idea. (3:00 onwards is cut and pasted from the pre-Nirvana 1986 Fecal Matter demo so it's not technically part of that piece, originally).

9. peskypesky

Is it weird that I'm a big Nirvana fan...but I've never gotten myself to listen to anything but the first three original album releases? I'm not sure why I'm reticent to listen to the other tracks that have since been released on box sets, deluxe versions and bootlegs....maybe a fear that they're not as good (to my ears)? Or maybe a feeling that I heard those original albums at a time in my life when I too was like Kurt Cobain (i.e. an angry, bitter, depressed young man)....and that now, as a content and happy 50-something guy, I won't relate to the material in the same was as I once did? I guess I have some sort of hang-up of not wanting to mess with the "magic". Anyone else like that?

Dodoz likes this.
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

As people were talking about collaborations...This song started from a Dave Grohl riff, by the way. There must have been a little editing here (the official box set is the only source we have of this recording) - Dave can be heard saying "I wrote this..." at the start, and it's probably him showing the riff on guitar, before Kurt gets into it. It's a really nice documentation of a song beginning taking shape. The riff, the ascending guitar line, the drum beat - all that develops before our very eyes (or ears) to become the song we know. It sounds LOUD and manic - when Dave comes in on drums, it's Led Zeppelin in hell for a few bars!

11. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

This reminds me of something I read years ago that pointed out that the direction in which Kurt's songwriting appears to have been heading was towards even more dissonance and incomprehensibility. The next Nirvana LP probably wouldn't have been a huge hit.

Dodoz likes this.
  12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Back to the early days then :D ?

"In Utero" was already meant to be more extreme (and it was - it was very ballsy to put something as extreme as "Scentless Apprentice" as track 2) but it still had "Heart-Shaped Box" or "Pennyroyal Tea" or "All Apologies". An "all obtuse" album would have been quite something.

13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This recording from 1993 is also quite noisy and unsettling.

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I really liked the progression from Bleach to Nevermind to In Utero. No matter what the next one would have sounded like, I would have been super curious.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

My music wish would be Kurt to have lived and let Dave write some of the songs but Kurt sings them. Can you imagine a mix of Foo Fighters first record and Kurt's new songs. Total rock. Here is my playlist.

Check out the OPINION song on you tube.

Nirvana's 4th record.

1. This is a Call - Grohl
    2. I'll Stick Around - Grohl
    3. Do-re-me - Cobain
    4. Alone + Easy Target - Grohl
    5. Sappy - Cobain
    6. Clean Up Before She Comes - Cobain
    SIDE 2
    1. You Know You're Right - Cobain
    2. Opinion - Cobain
    3. Poisons gone - Cobain
    4. Talk To Me - Cobain
    5. Burn The Rain - Cobain
    6. Exhausted - Grohl

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    peskypesky likes this.
  16. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

He had plans to do stuff with Michael Stipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.