No market for 50 year-old Roller Derby shows, correct?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it the Canadian Braves Vs. The All-Stars, in Canada? If it's that one, then that must be the go around. Plus, since it's pre- 1976, which the Griffiths estate no longer retains, I guess a case can be made for that as well. I just know you didn't want to tangle with them, and it didn't matter if you were on good terms with them or not. They'd turn on you on a dime, especially if it was infringing on their copyrights or not paying on licensing. I've seen it. It wasn't pretty.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I just ordered a copy. I hope that addresses the monetary question, except how many of me are there. Set your sights reasonable and accept a small to medium profit and not hold out for a pie in the sky fortune.
    Its a three disc set for ten bucks. It should exceed my expectations.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  3. I remember seeing it online now a few years back. I have everything on it already. There are collectors to source footage from out there. One reputable, the other is not.

JamieC likes this.
  4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i read your reply to Chris DeVoe, I see where you're coming from.

5. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

I remember in the early 70s watching the LA T-Birds. They were almost always losing the match in the last few minutes but were usually rescued by Ralphie Valaderez. The announcer called him “The Road Runner” and as the other skaters were whipping him around the track passing the other team’s skaters the announcer would say Beep Beep.

ralphk likes this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

3 DVD-Rs
    First disc is the documentary Derby. Mildly interesting
    Second disc is Derby matches from 59-60 and the T Birds Vs Canada. From just ahead of my time watching T birds and seeing the T Birds heeling was interesting. Judy I've seen heeling but not the big redhead Danny Riley. Young Gwen Miller. Also not really a big crowd there in Ontario.
    Last disc has 2 Bomber matches where I get Big Joanie Weston and Ann Cavelo in action.
    So about 4 solid hours worth of good stuff. worth the ten spot.

I fell out laughing when the 59 match started with a starter pistol!

7. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I found the information later on. I have everything on it, but I may just buy it to buy it.

Danny Reilly was a very good heel. He was on a Roller Games all star-ish team that did some series in the IRDL in 1973. There is a game that survives of them taking on the Midwest Pioneers.

A starter pistol was used by referee Don Lastra at the start of the halves of Roller Games matches from 1978 - 1982.

JamieC likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I didn't mention that the case looks kind of cool with a banked track attached to the front.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  9. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jim Terrigno was nicknamed The Roadrunner, not Valladeras. Valladeras was called the Guatemalan Flyer.

10. James Slattery

Danny Reilly, IMO, was probably the greatest red shirt in Roller Games. The first series of this league I ever saw was when he came into Philadelphia with the away version of the T-Birds. In 1972, he became coach of the new red shirt team, the Western Renegades, with the lovely Tonette Kadrmas as women's captain. They were arguably the best red shirt team in Games history. Seeing Reilly skate white shirt, to me is just a waste. Likewise when Ronnie Rains became a white shirt with the T-Birds. He was also a million times better skating red.

JamieC likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

this is adorable

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

If they can put Lotsa Luck on home video, ANYTHING is possible

13. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh I remember that angle. He did NOT want to be a T Bird! He was sullen and gave a half effort. Got benched IIRC. Can't remember what lit him on fire as a babyface T Bird.

PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME MR HENRY!!!!

15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. James Slattery

A person I knew tried marketing classic early 70s tapes to all of those dopey girls leagues all around the country and none of them were interested. Probably because it puts their efforts to shame.

17. Presumably you've verified that the tapes/films are even playable? That seems like a long shot otherwise, given such rough storage.

Also: how did this guy come to possess such a trove of roller derby goodness? Was he a player in the scene back in the day?

18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I remember my mom loving to watch roller derby in the sixties; the local indie station always showed the Bay Area Bombers with Joan Weston.

19. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I would include along with Kansas City Bomber, the James Can vehicle "Rollerball" may have also put a damper on Roller Games back in the heyday.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't know if you managed to see it, but in Chicago it's down to one showing a day. But Vickie loved the Nancy Drew film, and wished it was successful and wanted to see it as a franchise.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

They had the preview playing at the AMC theater that I attend. It has not opened here yet. I checked for openings on Friday, but no.

Hotel Mumbai is opening, along with Dumbo, of course.

I liked the trailer's and hope to see if if it comes to my local AMC.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I noticed that it had disappeared from the preview's a few weeks ago.

I was in the grocery store today and noticed that it is on RedBox.

So, it must have seriously underperformed and was pulled from theatrical release?

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sad, really. It's the sort of film that people in focus groups insist that Hollywood needs to make more of. But when they make them, people don't go see them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

The home rink is the UIC (University Of ILL at Chicago) Pavillion which can hold 6 or 7000. I wonder how many people they draw?

25. James Slattery

No, nothing verified and the vast majority are negatives with separate pic and audio reels. The point is completely moot. I met with one of the two guys who have the stuff and they distrust everyone. They think I can't possibly have any interest other than monetary and are going to do nothing and just sit on the collection, which they've been doing for 10 years. Neither of them understands or knows the first thing about film and when I was telling them that most are negatives, they kept saying, no these are good films. I don't think he even knows what a negative is. I tried explaining about negatives, separate pic and audio tracks, vinegar smell and deterioration and it was like trying to teach my cat multiplication. Like talking to a wall. I give up as there are some people you just can't reason with. There's actually a second cache of classic era (1968-74) games which exist on 2-inch in another country, but also controlled by people who think they are sitting on a gold mine. Likewise controlled by people who are content to do nothing and reject offers to pay for transfers to a modern format. So, their 2-inch tapes will eventually either become unplayable or at some point there won't be any quad machines left to play the tapes on. And the films will go bad and be lost as well. A shame but I'm crying uncle and giving up.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.