No new music for me in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I think the problem is buying the LPs and not listening to them!

I have found that if I buy 1or 2 LPs I listen to them avidly, if I go away on holiday and come back with 20-30 LPs I just don't give them the same attention.

JG

2. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I found this week a 1994 cd, still in seal :)

3. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Oh yeah I have the problem, but I wont be attempting the resolution. I wouldn't make it more than 6 weeks.

Good luck with the resolution. Be sure to post back here when you break it, so we know how far you made it :D

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Never. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it...I have too much enjoyment buying discs either online or in stores.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I wonder will the resolution be 24/96 FLAC or 16/44Hz?

JG

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'd like to try some sort of resolution focused on less acquiring and more listening, or sticking to a budget, or buy-one-only-when-sell-one, or something like that. Part of the reason is just to get more space; I don't live in a large place.

But going cold turkey for a full year?!? Seems crazy to me. :) I'd be setting myself up for failure.

By the way, I think your family is right -- it isn't a destructive or harmful vice, and there are plenty of those around.

Anyhow, good luck. Make a list of what you see or read about that you'd like to get, and then on January 1, 2012, you have your list, and can decide what you really want. Plus most of it will probably be cheaper then, as you can get it used.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think my resolution should just be to purge more product than I purchase this year. I got rid of one drug store box of lps this year, but I bought far more than that. I'm out of shelving and out of room for more.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I still have unwatched VHS and LD movies.

9. phish

phish Jack Your Body

pick up homebrewing and homebrew beer while you listen to your unlistened to music.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh, I hear ya! I've said it before here in posts...I got back into vinyl in late January this year and what I have spent on LP's is astounding. I am almost out of the alloted room I set aside for them and know I must do something or I'll be in bad shape financially. I could easily stay off of ebay, but Amoeba is just down the street from me and Record Surplus is only a 15 minute drive. THAT will be hard to break from!!!!

But I DO need to do something NOW!!!!:sigh:

11. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

My wife and I recently found out that we're expecting... TWINS.

So I may join you in your crusade, Prognastycator. I've got to make a LOT of room as it is, and adding more to the pile may just drive my wife to madness...

12. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and not go overboard in 2011 but it will be hard. After nearly totally writing off my local used record store they've suddenly started getting some amazing stuff. There's also two used CD and DVD stores and a St. Vincent De Paul's near me that often have great titles for 2 to 4 dollars each and on top of that there was a lot of great new music out this year.

As I did in 2009 I went through the fest few pages of Rate Your Music's best of the year list to see if there was some good new music that slipped under my radar and I found out about some good stuff that way as well.

13. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

OK, so there is no longer any space anywhere for anything, but that isn't going to stop me. There are half a dozen current discs on order at the moment, two in the post, and at least three on forward order.

Then there'll be the next batch of Nat King Cole SACDs when they become available over here, and some of those forthcoming Analogue Productions Verve Jazz SACDs look mighty tempting.

Added to which, there are still at least half a dozen 7" 45s and two 12" 45s that I'm looking for, and on top of that a couple of tracks I've yet to identify from when I was a teenager that will need to be bought if ever I find out what they were...

I won't stop buying music until I'm dead and gone.

14. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Congratulations. In regard to "going cold turkey", nowadays I couldn´t do it for more than a week. Guess I´ll have to go through the rehab step by step method... My name is Izozeles I haven´t bought any music today

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks, Izozeles!

I think I may have to make some sort of deal with myself that I am only allowed to bring new music in the house if I SELL something else I already own first. That way I get new music but the collection doesn't get any larger. That seems much easier to handle to me...

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For a moment I thought your user name was 'Procrastinator' :winkgrin:

17. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

I'm going to try and replace that joy of buying sensation with listeneing to what I bought (at least once, maybe more) and see if that fills the void I anticipate.

18. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I definitely couldnt do what youre doing. Id be happy to stick to a budget, or not to buy more until my "to listen" pile is all caught up, or limit myself to a set number of purchases a month, but to just cut out a whole year would kill me! hehe Also it would make 2012 very expensive as I played catch-up while still keeping up with what was being released!
    Still, good luck :) Personally I always think of the Mark Twain quote:
    Steve

19. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

Sounds like you should preorder stuff on amazon so you haven't bought any music in 12 but do receive it ;)

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

One of the beauties of using a music server is I have a playlist created for new music I need to listen to so it is easily accessable and 'always something there to remind me' kind of like the song.

21. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

It'd be easier for me to give up DRINKING for a year than not buying music...

Later, Chris

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Congrats! Having gone through the exact same thing a year ago (twins and all) I can safely tell you that my music-buying habits were only very slightly affected. In fact, my dedicated listening actually increased since there really isn't anything else to do when you spend that much time feeding and change newborns.

23. Pete Puma

Congrads on the news of your upcoming twins!

Thanks for wishing me luck. I had thought about trying to stay in a budget but I actually thought there would be less chance of me making that work. I would just concentrate on really cheap used cds that would not get much of a listen either.

I'll post back, whether I succeed or fail, I will also keep a list of cds I really really want to buy througout the year. I expect this list to actually be fairly modest in length (I too often buy on the spur of the moment).

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This forum is music addicts what AA is to alcoholics.

"Hello, my name is Paul and I'm a music addict".

Except in AA they don't recommend and talk about the best beers and how cold and tasty they are. :)

25. Pete Puma

Too true Paul...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.