No new music for me in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

True. You can always sell what you never used (or intend to use). Maybe that will cover your 2011 purchases.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Pretty well sums it up. :)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions :D

I'll have a few more, for the road....

3. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

I'll drink to that!

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Just my $0.02. I was hanging on to a very cool, carefully assembled hard rock/metal collection for a long time, started it when I was late teens. I realized I had not spent any time with the vast majority of it for a loooong time, so I decided in September, 'No need to wait for January, start eBay'ing in October.' I did that and have been raking in the dough. It's great to see the Paypal account pile up. If you have anything of value, I recommend selling it while the vinyl resell market is still lively and happening. I have many collectable classical and jazz records, but I do enjoy 'em. They provide enjoyment, mucho. But no need holding on to what you don't actively participate in. We are not baseball card collectors, but music enthusiasts. Also, you cannot worry about getting top dollar for each and every item (okay, Aerosmith Rocks SACD notwithstanding, heh), so just put a bunch of stuff together and start getting rid of it, eBay or SH Forums. People like to buy in bulk and want to feel they are getting a deal. Sell your valuable items while you are still alive...and DON'T SPEND THE EARNINGS ON MORE CD'S AND RECORDS!

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I can't do a whole year, but I'll definitely try going "cold turkey" for a month. I know it will be tough....I have over $20.00 in those darn ebay credits that's telling me to buy, buy, buy....

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

When we moved in 16 years ago I designed, and had built for me, bookshelves with cupboards below them for LPs. One section of the bookshelf was designed specifically for CDs. Unfortunately that was filled up a while ago and I started encroaching on shelves meant for books. Now I'm having to double upon those...and I have no room left for any more vinyl

7. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

My plan is to listen to all my purchased music to date all in good time. I expect it to take more than a year.

Yes, but I am up to the challenge of remaining active on this site (I would not fare well at the bar though).
    Welcome aboard for as long as you want to ride along :). I will try and update this thread, particularly when I find myself extremely tempted to jump off the wagon.
    Money is not the main concern for my decision, though it isn't a negligible one either.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I've made this resolution six years straight, only to fall off the wagon. So, I've decided to reduce my buying to a mere (average of) one per month. Surely to God I can do that...

9. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I'm in.

I'm afraid to calculate how much I spent. I do subscribe to Music Matters, and I think I'll keep that going. But as far as buying new or used vinyl? It's got to be something really good in order for me to break the habit.

My name is One L and I'm a vinylholic.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:biglaugh:

I already have some Nat King Cole and MFSL SACDs and a few other things on pre-order.

11. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

12. Oooh you have no idea what reissues may be coming down the pike. Be flexible and forgive yourself if you give in.

13. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Reissues and new releases can wait. It's a good way of shortening the wish list.

14. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, too much I haven't played and I'm still looking for something new, something to fill imaginary gaps in my collection. It's a mania, apparently shared by many here. I applaud your courage in trying to beat the demon, and I'll tell you that your announcement has been an inspiration to me. I know myself too well to commit to a year, though, and even a month would be tough for me. So, outside of those few releases that I know will soon be unavailable and /or prohibitively expensive, and those grail items that pop up that I've never found before and know I never will again, except for those "necessities", everything else will get a week or two of deliberation. I've done it before and found that about 70% of what I buy was not the best choice, that if I'd stalled for at least a week, I wouldn't have bought the stuff. It's about time I did something, this will be my first step.
    I think if I can wait one week before I buy, I should be able to go two, then three. The old "one day at a time" approach. I hope I can limit myself to one purchase a month, I think maybe this need to keep buying may have as much to do with being a "shopaholic" as it does with the desire to hear more music. It may have nothing at all to do with music, after all, music's not physically addictive, nor the vinyl or CDs.
    If I can conquer the shopping addiction, my purchases will become less frequent, my collection will get the attention it deserves, and I'll get more out of the music.

BTW, if you have a lot of stuff you haven't listened to yet, like me, maybe separating it out into a little "store", where you can occasionally go and pick something out, like you're buying it for the first time. If I set stuff aside where I don't see it everyday, I'll forget I have it, and when I rediscover it, it's like a new thing to me.

It's common to hear a woman claim she has "nothing to wear", when her closet is actually full. Walker Percy wrote something about this, suggesting that the things we buy (outside of necessities) have an idealized value, and that when we acquire them, they are basically already used up, and of much less interest, and use, than we thought they were before we bought them.
    It seems to be true that it's the chase, not the catch. I think that's key to beating this addiction. Also, moderation in all things, apparently, includes music, at least the physical recordings.

Anyway, thank you for your post. It was the wake-up call I needed!

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

:wave:

15. btombaugh

btombaugh Member

I'm in (about) the same boat, but mine is due to being laid off from my job o 20-years early last year. :-(

16. I once went 7 months without a single purchase. Then the floodgates broke and I was back to my usual 15-80 titles a month.

Now with the store to think about I can't make that resolution.
    I do manage to sell the better stuff I buy but you always get stuck with something nice, like a Mary Hopkin, Lesley Duncan or Bonnie Hayes record.

17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Congratulations to you both!
    If you don't have them already, the much-maligned Bose noise-canceling headphones work wonders in blocking baby's cries so one can enjoy the music :D:D:D

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

From "Lost in the Cosmos," no? I love that book, even though I can't remember if I ever finished it, and I have no idea where my copy is now.

Apparently there is plenty of evidence in social science research and whatnot that the more one has of something the less pleasure each additional unit of it is likely to afford him. My personal experience is consistent with this; indeed I don't know anyone whose experience is not. I think of this phenomenon sometimes applying to a music collection, and, since we're talking a little of Southern writers, I think of "As I Lay Dying," and how Cash, near the end of the book, thinks so longingly of having a graphophone and just a couple records to play on it, and resting and listening to them. Quite moving and convincing I think and indelible to me because of my interest in recordings. I don't at all mean to disparage the merits of having a library or a collection -- Lord knows I've spent time amassing one myself -- but it's still a challenge to recapture that sense of wonder one had at the beginning. Some time spent limiting the influx of the new, and appreciating what one already has, might help.

19. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I can quit anytime I want to.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

God bless you, my friend from Massachusetts. I wish you well on your resolution. I have a few myself this year, but none involve anything like this! It's a drastic step, but I can completely understand what you're doing. Good luck.

PS - two words that might help you: internet radio

21. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Back in the spring of this year I vowed to not buy anything until I listened to everything in my "new" pile. I lasted about 2 months. Of course, I during that two months also downloaded a few things and burned CDs from friends and library. And then more than made up for it by Christmas shopping for myself throughout December (damn you Collector's Choice and Rhino cyber Monday sales!).

But in general I am slowing down. I think!

22. serge

serge Forum Resident

madness

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'm in... this reminds me of a certain episode from Seinfeld, but I will see how far I can go, this year has been ridiculous... I have too many CDs already. :shake:

I think anyone who declares they are in, should post in this thread if/when they fall off the wagon. It will be fun if nothing else!

Good post OP.

24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I always find that when I buy new music...it makes my old stuff sound better... does anyone else feel this way...it's like my collection feels stale till I make a new purchase...then it feels all fresh again once I bring my new music home....

25. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it was Lost un the Cosmos.
    I bet I know where your copy is...with the person you lent or gave it to, or the person he/she gave it to, because it's one of those books you just have to share.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.