No new music for me in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

one of my friends (boatofcar on here and my RL friend too) discussed this very issue Christmas eve. He said he would likely not buy another CD and really couldn't even think of other vinyl he would want.
    I'm not to that point yet.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Several times during 2011 I tried to find this thread, for the followup, but it was lost to me. Just like too much music in my collection.

And I see the OP has fessed up to falling off the wagon. :(

If music be the food of life, play on, MacDuff!

3. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Buying new music (or new old music) is an addiction I can live with (I call it being a music fan), but I should probably try to quit buying remasters and reissues for a year... but I'm not that strong!

Happy holidays.

4. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

Perhaps you could consider selling your story to a movie studio for the remake of a famous movie- "The Man With The Golden CD Player"- Although you can no longer get Frank Sinatra to star, and you can't buy your own soundtrack!

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Four months is a long time. No need to punish yourself in 2012. Why not just fix a budget, and establish a "mandatory" waiting period before purchases?

6. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I didn't make a no CD pledge for 2011. Good thing because I ended up buying more than ever-super cheap on Amazon or from my local indie. Even if decided I did not need any more music, I still have the lure of the bargain to tempt me.

7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I've adopted a carry in, carry out policy - not exactly one for one but I started selling off some LPs, 45s and CDs this year for the first time to keep the collection somewhat manageable. Still buying quite a bit though!

8. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

What about music that's not available on vinyl or where the vinyl is WAY more expensive than the CD?

Personally, though about 90 to 95 percent of my buying and listening is to vinyl, there's no way I would ever swear off CDs completely. First off, used CDs are WAY cheap right now, right at the point where used vinyl starting to get pricey, and second, my aforementioned point about availability.

9. goldwax

I plan to start doing that! In the meantime, I've been very careful the past year to listen to EVERYTHING I buy at least once before filing it away. I wasn't always very good about that during my halcyon days of CD buying.

10. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I'm like a squirrel gathering physical-media musical nuts for the long cold download-only winter they keep tellin' me is a-comin'.

But I have things to sell as well. Trying to keep some semblance of balance. I think it would be silly to pass up some item I've wanted for years that is selling for $.01 plus shipping on amazon marketplace. It's good to restrain oneself, but let's get real.

11. goldwax

Yeah, I'm closing at around 2,500 LPs and 5,000 CDs and I'm almost 44. How many times will I listen to most of those over the next 30 or 40 years? Assuming I listen to five albums a day for the next 30 years, that's about 55,000 plays the rest of my life. That means I'll be able to listen to each one of my current CDs and LPs another seven times in my life on average. Kinda makes you think...

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've got more stuff than I could listen to in a lifetime and last year was the best year for reissues ever. Unless a hot new artist pops up out of nowhere (Lana Del Ray?) I'll be buying a lot less this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.