No Time to Die (2021 James Bond film). May include spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Another couple of actors mentioned are Richard Madden, James Norton and Rege Jean Page. Looking at the odds at the bookies Madden has taken the lead over Tom Hardy.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I really liked Cavill as Napoleon Solo and I'd prefer he would return to that role instead of playing Bond.

3. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Richard Madden, needs a shave but otherwise looks the part...

[​IMG]

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What n the hell is Tom Hardy doing wasting his time doing Venom( an insult to his intelligence) Guess it brings in the groceries $$$.

a customer likes this.
  5. alexpop

He must have been bummed, being killed off so soon in the Game Of Thrones. Salmon mouse. :)

6. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The problem with somebody like Tom Hardy is that he's too old (would be...46-47 y.o. by the time he starts a new one? Just say no) and a major star already.

Since NTTD is very likely not to break even, and so going to lose (lots of) money during its theatrical release, it's possible they'll go for a scaled down production and budget next time. You don't want to waste money for an established star wanting $10 or $20M per film.

Henry Cavill looks the part and would've been a top choice 15 years ago: the problem with him is that, in the drama department, Daniel Craig leaves him in the dust. I don't think the "raw" Bond attitude and story arc they went with, could've been adequately accomplished by Cavill. But he would be great for stuff that requires lighter tone with soft drama movies, the way the Brosnan movies were. And Cavill is a major star too.

Richard Madden totally looks the part and can act, but at 35 I'm afraid he's starting to be too old. If they hire him, will be 37-38 when he starts filming. Not a big deal if they return to the 2 year gap between movies, but catastrophe if they make another 5 in 16 years.

Better pick somebody young, hungry and possibly a fan of the franchise.

8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Not disputing you, just curious where you're getting your numbers. Wikipedia numbers (sketchy, I know) have the budget at $250-301 million and current BO receipts at $450 million. Even if you add $100 million for marketing, that's still profitable.

9. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

If they aren't even starting to look for the new Bond until the mentioned 2022...I have a feeling we're up for another ambiguous wait. I have a feeling those books may be difficult to harken back to given the modernized themes of the new movie. I think you're right about it being either a revival, then business as usual, OR a completely new direction trying to form a new tenure with a new star. I like @alexpop 's listing of comparisons I'd have to agree with the two likely candidates there. You seem to have read all the books and made some parallels between them and the movies. I must ask the odd question: Books or Movies for you?

PH416156 and alexpop like this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

So far, not really; especially thanks to delays and Craig, Broccoli and Wilson royally rewarded no matter what.

Why MGM Considered Selling 'No Time to Die' to Netflix - Variety

As we all know, the April 2021 release didn't happen, so MGM lost even more money

No Time to Die Box Office: Takeaways From Daniel Craig's Final Bond - Variety

Let's remember that Die Another Day made $160M domestic...20 years ago. If we look at inflation adjusted numbers, Brosnan movies sold approximately the same tickets as the Craig ones.

They're hoping for big numbers in China but let's remember that making $50M in China means more or less $25M for the studio, because the Chinese (depends on the source) take from 40% to 60% of the money foreign films male. And, bad news for No time to die, there's a propaganda film that's breaking all the records right now, playing in theaters over there.

The Chinese film beating Bond and Marvel at the box office

For No time to die, also:

‘No Time to Die’ Needs to Earn $900M to Break Even as the Most Expensive ‘James Bond’ Movie Ever

No Time to Die Reportedly Needs To Gross $900 Million to Break Even

'No Time to Die' Needs to Make Almost a Billion Dollars to Break Even

More about break even point

How much does a movie need to be profitable?

..and of course studios are not in this business just to break even.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    alexpop likes this.
  11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Very informative, thanks.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome :tiphat:

Actually, the whole Craig era should've ended at least 5 years ago. Imho, huge mistake waiting for Mendes to end his work at the Royal Theatre. Spectre production and release delayed, the plan was to release in it 2014. And, was it worth it? "Spectre" was not that great, and made about $230M less than Skyfall at the B.O. :laugh:

Its end would've been the perfect finale for "not another one or I'll slash my wrists" Craig, but no; not only begged him to come back, but EON alsoy gave him another production credit to come back and waited one full year because he wanted to stay with his baby daughter.

The pandemic also happened, but no reason for a 6 year gap between Bond films. Except; laziness and uncertainty.

There was also a delay due to Danny Boyle backing out though.

twicks likes this.
  13. alexpop

Watched OHMSS ( yet again :)).
    Best thing the soundtrack.
    Also, the chemistry with Lazenby and Rigg is excellent. We have all the time in the world

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  14. alexpop

Would have preferred his version.

twicks likes this.
  15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Did the details of his idea ever leak?

alexpop likes this.
  16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Negative reviews are beginning to appear. A lot of negative reviews.

I'm in accord with this review:

17. alexpop

Think the thing that bugged people was James Bond dying on screen. Guess a twist on OHMSS.

18. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington Forum Resident

First, the new He-Man gets killed off in the first episode and replaced by a bitter lesbian with a bad haircut. And now, James Bond goes woke and gets incinerated at the end of film?

:doh:

19. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

It's funny people want the old James Bond back. It's over, the series has moved on, and they have 20 films to pick from. Why ask for more of the same, no-flesh characters, quips and cartoon action, and single adventures with no arc for 007, when you have 20 films already? To go back would be ending the series, audiences would say it's more of the same washed out. The producers did the right thing, I can't wait for what's next.

David Campbell and nojmplease like this.
  20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

No flash-characters, quips and cartoon action...like in Goldfinger or From russia with love? :)

So far..not. Because this film likely won't make profit during its theatrical run.

They're in it for the money. If the film doesn't break even and make money, they have failed.

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oh, by the way this funny video may appeal to those that want not just one, but every iteration of James Bond to die :D

pic from the video

[​IMG]

a customer and Knox Harrington like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't think that's their failure due to extenuating circumstances like a global pandemic and forced theater closures. If it was up to the studio, this would have been in theaters many months ago. Even now, I'm not seeing full theaters in my area. And streaming is another issue beyond the studio's control. There's just more competition for the entertainment dollar now that the public has had 1.5 years to get deeply addicted to various streaming services--not exactly the studio's fault.

David Campbell and Simon A like this.
  23. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

He was good in Bodyguard, but not good enough to carry a franchise like Bond (imo).

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As I mentioned above, Craig was 38 when he started, so 37-38 isn't too old, even with the current spacing between movies.

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Watched it again this time in a Dolby Plus theater (last time in an IMAX). Much better screen presentation this time. I felt the IMAX picture was too soft and a bit blurry. Sharper in Dolby. That might be the quality of the theaters too.

Film is still too long and the action sequences other than the first Italian village scene are just ok. Do like the actress playing Madeline and Christoph Waltz is always a treat.

‘Really liked Daniel Craig as Bond and will miss him.

Not sure if I am ready for Jane Bond but call me old fashioned.

yesstiles, DonNylon and seventeen like this.