Noise complaint

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

My across the street neighbor said they can hear my music when they are outside the house. I can also hear him blast his guitar amp when I am outside my house. Good thing is we can't hear each others inside our house....

But my peak spl typically is 90db. Sometimes will reach 95db+, but rarely would play that loud.

95db average will be very hard to not heard by neighbors. Other than specifically built room, I don't think the sound issue can be resolved easily....

Tim 2 and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I wish there was more people like you.

I live in a house out in the country. I highly suggest it!

Doctor Fine likes this.
  3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Get a tube amp for your garage.You won't need to play as loud to enjoy your music.

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

5. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Or at the very least,your neighbor will remark on the improved sound quality.

BeatleJWOL, Tim 2 and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  6. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

He has a tube amp in the garage.
    Tubes forever man.

Tim 2 and cat9 like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's not a question of how hard he's driving his amp but rather how much volume/noise is being projected out of the speakers. Whether an amp has tubes or not has no bearing whatsoever on how loud it'll be heard. If he's going for roughly 95db, tube or not won't change that. He likes it LOUD!

uzn007 and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Try some Mini Maggie's in the garage. Orient the speakers so the skinny edge faces the neighbors. No more neighbor bass problems (and no more bass).

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that @DyersEve726 has made an excellent suggestion. If nothing else, it is an easy and a good way to start.

What I was going to comment on is that garages are not usually insulated as well as the rest of your home would be, problem number one.

Problem number two, is that it is the bass that is bothering him. That is a concern, as bass is very hard to prevent going through walls. I doubt that it would be worth your while to try to go to the trouble and expense that would be necessary to try to prevent bass from going through walls that would be quite transparent at bass frequencies. I would consider the bass traps and see how effective they are and not go any farther.

You have a nice stereo in the house, there is really no good reason the you would have to blast at the SPL's that you have been doing in your garage. The easiest approach is just not to do it.

Why create more unnecessary work for yourself. effectively stopping bass requires very thick dense foam or concrete.

In South Florida, our walls are all concrete block, so bass transmission is less than a problem. You need heavy dense material to stop bass.

uzn007 and pdxway like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

One further comment: your neighbour may well find that the music sounds very pleasant to him when you invite him into your listening space does not sound at all pleasant from his house. On one occasion I was compelled to go upstairs late at night and knock on someone's door to ask them to turn the volume down or off. When they opened the door and I heard the music with all its frequencies, it was actually quite nice music. when I could only hear the bass, it sounded horrible.

uzn007, zphage, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  11. ddd666

ddd666 Member

Just invite DeWaybe for a drink and listen to some music together...

Tim 2 likes this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Howdy S & G

We don't have much masinary around these parts but the garage is 2x6 construction with R20 insulation, a standard in most house's here, garages less.
    I also have my doubts about how effective the changes I could make will be. But if it means spending a lot of time but hopefully not to much money I think it's worth a try.

MaxxMaxx4 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

It’s worth investigating a couple of things.
    Can you get in between the garage and his house to listen? Try increasing volume until you can hear it there to see where your safe zone is?
    Determine whether it is airborne sound traveling through the wall or physical vibration if the speakers are on a wall mounted shelf?

If your shelf and wall are sympathetic to the bass frequencies being produced, you’re basically turning your outside wall into a big diaphragm, which in turn, could be transmitting a ton of energy across the gap to his wall.

If it is a physical vibration issue, the closer the shelf is to the Center of the wall, the worse the bass issue will be.
    Tap a drum skin in the center, you get a fundamental, or lower frequency. Tap it on the edge, you get stronger high end harmonics and less lower fundamental.
    Similar issue would happen with a sub in the Center of a room and a downstairs neighbor.

You might get lucky and solve the problem by isolating the speakers from whatever they are sitting on.

Also remember that the sound that is escaping is sound energy you are effectively loosing and not enjoying!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Tim 2 likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Howdy to you too tmsorosk!

I don't think you are gonna get through this thin cheaply. It is very hard to isolate bass frequencies. Without concrete, they pass through construction as you have just described as it it was not even there.

The first thing that you will need to do, is to buy an inexpensive sound meter that has the "C" rating scale, which is sensitive to bass frequencies (down to a point).

Re create the conditions of playing your music loud and go outside between your house and your neighbor's house and see what the SPL meter is telling you. Switch to the "A" scale and see what it would be measuring without the bass frequencies.

What I would do is to buy some dura rock, or equivalent cement board. It comes in heavy sheets the size of sheets of drywall.

Install these on the garage wall on the side of your neighbor's house.

If you need some insulation in the ceiling, try thick Rock Wool or a layer or two of Quiet Batt 30 sound insulation.

That should at least attenuate it down to the point that it will not bother your neighbor.

IMO, it will be the easiest and least expensive of methods to block bass frequencies.

You need really heavy and dense wall board to accomplish this and using cement board will be your best and easiest bet for achieving this.

MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  15. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I had a similar issue when I lived in an apartment. I saved my loud listening sessions for when the neighbours were away on holiday. Quite frustrating but it was a way to avoid any potential disputes.

ClassicalCD and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

[​IMG]

17. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

From what I can tell via the sound coming from my neighbors, they're too busy inflicting physical violence upon each other to notice any rumblings coming from my side of the wall. :shake:

Tim 2 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Run some woodworking equipment or work on a Harley in the garage. The neighbor will grow to miss the sound of music by comparison.

95db is pretty hot for the garage but a couple songs at 6pm shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s a world full is sound and noise, no one gets a guarantee of silence. I can hear a train in the middle of the night, who do I get to complain to about that?

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Noise complaint.. Audiophile kryptonite. Bummer

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Perhaps but this isn't a couple of songs. The neighbor states he hears loud bass indoors every night. Assuming this is all true, I think he isn't unreasonable to complain. If it were a couple of songs once in a while at 6pm, I agree that it'd be silly to complain about that.

uzn007, eddiel, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"If it's too loud, you're too old."

22. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Complain to anyone you want. A train passing by only lasts a minute or so, a neighbor blasting music can go on for hours. A false equivalent technique used in many arguments (rarely as sarcasm).

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Damn, man. Why you gotta hit me with a false equivalency charge this early in the morning?

clhboa, Tim 2, MaxxMaxx4 and 2 others like this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Now that was funny, laughed my head off

Tim 2 and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That maybe laugh my head off also. You guys are killing me this morning

Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.