Noise w/ Rega Fono Mini/Audacity when Digitizing LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pavol Stromcek, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Is there a particular kind you recommend?

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

This is good advice. Set your recording volume before you get to the software otherwise you could be sending a signal that is already clipped in the analog domain. There's nothing you can do in post-processing to fix that. Set Audacity's volume control to max and use the gain control on your ADC. BTW, there is nothing wrong with Audacity; have used it for needledrops for years with good results. Show the "Recording Meter Toolbar" and set peaks for -10 dB.

3. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Well, if it helps, I got a reasonably cheap Teretech IVinyl usb phonostage which, as you can guess, was made with the purpose of ripping records in mind, does 24 bit (which your cd recorder probably won't) and works floorlessly, but again I'm a windows user and maybe the cd recorder is still safer!

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

5. Pavol Stromcek

Thanks for the sample, that sounds nice. One of my very favorite Cocteau Twins songs, too! What computer and software are you using with the 2i2?

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Stupid question and not sure if this was attempted, but did you try with the MacBook unplugged and running off the battery only?

I recall an early weird issue I had with ripping vinyl where it was something to do with my laptop power adapter. Realized this when I tested the above and the buzzing dissapeared. Ended up changing my setup with a new PC / ADC that didn't have the same problem. Just throwing out ideas.

7. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, I did have the MacBook unplugged and running off the battery. In fact, that's how I had it when I first started testing out this setup. I can see how that could be an issue, though.

patient_ot and Gaslight like this.
  8. c-eling

Just a basic Win10 PC. I'm using an ancient version of Wavelab for the recording.
    As other's stated I highly doubt it's your Mac. See if you can at least exchange your Rega and then go from there :)

patient_ot and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  9. Pavol Stromcek

Well, I'm returning the Rega Fono Mini for certain. Now I'm having to decide between a Tascam Professional CD-RW900MKII and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The Tascam CD recorder feels like the safer choice, but that route is going to cost nearly $200 more. Plus, I do find the idea of not having to buy CD-Rs appealing. But then, this experience with the Rega was a real turn-off in terms of USB audio interfaces, though I know how irrational that sounds, since it was just one device that I tried.

If I understand correctly, the Focusrite 2i2 is not a phono pre like the Rega, so it looks like I'd need to run the tape line out on my receiver into the 2i2, and then that would connect to my laptop via USB.

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, no phono pre. You can run tape out, or record direct and apply RIAA digitally.

Pavol Stromcek and c-eling like this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I use a TASCAM DR-40.

c-eling likes this.
  12. missan

missan Forum Resident

I believe there are many good models from e.g. Tascam, Zoom, Sony, Olympus etc. I really like my Olympus LS-12.

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

For his set-up a portable digital recorder may be the best option.
    If he doesn't have a card reader I think you can just unload via USB right?

14. Pavol Stromcek

That's right - there's another thread here where a few people seem to be happy with the needledrops they've done using a Tascam DR-40. (Though it sounds like a couple people were getting clipping using line level, or something?) I do like the portability factor, not to mention - again - not having to rely on CD-Rs. When you're finished recording, is transferring the files to a computer pretty straightforward?

c-eling likes this.
  15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

There is no clipping with the DR-40 in my experience.

I just take the SD card from the recorder and plug into my computer. Very easy.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Well, in case anyone was wondering how this riveting story was resolved, I returned the Rega Fono Mini, and after much deliberation (and reading of online user reviews), I went with the Tascam Professional CD recorder (CD-RW900MKII). It arrived earlier this week, and after doing one CD's worth of songs, all appears to be well.

Before returning the Rega Fono, I did try a few other things, like completely unplugging the WiFi router, as I had read that reduced noise that some people were having with this and similar devices, but that did absolutely nothing.

I bought the Rega Fono on eBay from a shop that sells audio gear only and which had stellar feedback. The guy I dealt with actually contacted Rega about my problem, and they said the issue was likely a "faulty board" inside the unit and that they would send a replacement part for free. The guy offered to send the replacement part to me, but at that point I just didn't want to mess around with it, so I opted to return it for a full refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.