Norah Jones Feels Like Home hi rez!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Are they ever going to fix the first record SACD?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If everyone did that, this would never have been an issue. Which is why we have to wait so long for this one, and maybe forever with so many more titles that coulda, shoulda been....

:ed:

3. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Oy, let's not start that again......

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The way I see it, it's not about starting anything again. It's about them fixing a badly done job. I am currently stuck with a bad version of the SACD, which BTW also sports a spindle crack and have no way of returning it. I would love to see Blue Note take my SACD back and exchange it for a correct (if not good) one. Sorry for the thread crap, but I am quite disappointed at this first NJ SACD and don't think I'll get the new one if the company doesn'rt offer us 'beaten' consumers a solution. As the saying goes, 'once beaten twice shy.'

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Which Springsteen SACD release is also like NJ (low-rez)?

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Well, it would have to be the double live since, unfortunately, it's his ONLY SACD!

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I will get the SACD. Not sure about DVD-Audio.

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Norah is performing in my town today...I´m so stupid, I didn´t bought the ticket :mad:

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So this is also for sure low-rez? Wow...Glad I did not buy it...

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Still the best sounding version of it.

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So the low-rez Springsteen 2 channel layer SACD sounds better than the redbook?

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

This there a thread for SA-CD sourced from LPCM?
    Thanks.

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Ah, good points, but it'll all be academic if Blue Note treats these hi-rez releases as they did the first Norah Jones SACD (i.e., 16/44 used for transfer) :realmad: . If they do, sales will be sown again (big surprise).

Here's hoping they do it right this time!!!

14. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Remember who has a big hand in any Blue Note releases, Michael Cuscuna. Head of Mosaic records. The reissue company that stopped releasing their reissues on vinyl (the true HI-REZ format). Let's just say I'm not holding my breath that they (BN) will hit the back catalog of classic jazz titles for SACD reissue. Darn it.

15. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The "poor sales" on the Come Away With Me SACD is a bit of an Internet legend. I've talked to some music industry folks who pointed out to me that the sales on that SACD were actually quite good.

That helps explain the decision to release the new album in hi rez after the initial Stereo CD sales cooled off.

16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I remember a lot of people talking about the SACD of "Come Away" and being so happy with it until someone came with the notice about that it came from a low-rez PCM master and like from an act of magic, everyone said that the SACD sounded almost like crap.
    I´m not saying that it sounds good or bad, I dont even have it, but if they´re releasing "Feels Like Home" in Hi-rez is because the sales of Come Way where at least, good.
    Don´t you think?

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It didn't think the sales were bad. The Best Buys around here got at least 10 copies of this SACD each, and they all sold. Then again, they could have sent them back! :eek:

At any rate, I think the surround mix sounds fine, so I am glad they released it, and will get this one as well.

18. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember buying the SACD after reading of many people on the Internet who were saying good things about it. After listening to my copy I wondered what all the buzz was about (and I am not considering the artist part of the equation): it sounded below-par to me (5.1 mix included). After finding out in this forum that a couple of gents from Sweden (or was it Finland?) were able to trace done the problem SACDs to the different pressing numberings on them and noticing that mine belonged to the crappy issue/pressing then I began to understand why I wasn't moved by this SACD as much as others. During this process I also found out my disc had developed a spindle crack.

19. Dave D

No way Brian! I read it myself! Same day I read that Saran Wrap on your microwaved food gives you cancer. C'mon, it was on the internet....it has to be real! ;)

20. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Me too.

21. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Michael Cuscuna had nothing to do with the SACD reissues. Nada. That program was born at the main Blue Note office in NY through meetings with Sony. Sony footed the bill for the DSD remastering of those first titles. If Sony hadn't done that, there wouldn't have been any SACDs at all. If there's anything going on with SACD at Blue Note today, he is still not involved. I asked him just a few days ago.

BTW, Mosaic Records stopped selling LPs for one simple reason: they did not sell. No conspiracies or anything... just simple economics. The only reason they do the LP Miles sets is because they do sell enough to justify the license. Miles on LP may sell but others do not.

Later,
    Kevin

22. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to this forum (I recognize you from the organissimo board, I believe). It's too bad Blue Note's policy on hi-rez in any form is basically a no-go. Hopefully that will change at some point. Say hi to M. Cuscuna for us...

23. Dave D

WHERE IS THIS (^#(()*&#( THING????????
    Any word?

24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I have always found this to be a superb sounding and musically satisfying SACD. Mine developed cracks also but, it was replaced.

I guess my hearing/system capability just isn't up the the rest of those who find it so bad.

25. Dave D

I like my NJ SACD too, but let's not get into that whole battle again.....no one will win!

I just emailed Blue Note and asked what happened to Feels Like Home on hi rez....stay tuned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.