North Carolina bands appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steve phillips, Dec 26, 2018.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Let's Active
    The Connells
    Snatches of Pink

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

The Connells

Mr Mojo Risin and seed_drill like this.
  3. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I think they held it together as long as they could... with all their infighting.

Also Ryan Adams made it pretty apparent early in his solo career that he didn't really like country music that much.

I love what they have us in their short existence, as well as pretty much everything that Ryan's done since

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If your best know song has the line: "H-E-A-R-T breaker, look what you've done, you stole my heart and away you did run" you don't get a second go at the brass ring.

Put me down for The Connells and The Blue Rags.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I go there once a year. Half the downtown is no longer recognizable due to tear downs and replacement with taller buildings. There's even a Target in the middle of town.

mx20 likes this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My uncle's folk band opened for Doug Clark back in the mid 60's.

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Oh man, The Spongetones were awesome - I saw them more times during my college years than I could ever remember.

8. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

My wife and I saw them in Louisville literally the day they broke up. It was just Ryan amd Caitlyn Cary playing in the parking lot of Bluegrass Brewing.

I liked Ryan for a long time but he’s lost me with the last handful of records and his interviews.

9. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

They still put on a fun show. I try to catch them at least once a year.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Don't forget The Home of the Blues recording either.

samthesham likes this.
  11. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Duly noted, but do you have any idea why the others mentioned in this thread were denied the brass ring? It has bugged me for years. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  12. steve phillips

I think what stalled this great band was bad timing, IMO. It seemed like it was 20 years too late, and 10 years too early. Caught in the middle of trends. Great album, I agree. Audley Freed is doing well for himself though.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  13. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Ed James. Great power pop. I think he is from Chapel Hill.

14. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Sorry. Charlotte.

15. I don't know about North Carolina bands, but some pretty damned good guitar players came from there (Doc Watson, Warren Haynes).

steve phillips and seed_drill like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

shout out to cry of love and corrosion of conformity mentioned already.

i'll toss one out there

ANIMAL BAG

anyone remember them? what are these guys up to now? will the unreleased followup album ever get an official release?

17. steve phillips

Somebody mentioned DAG earlier. That brings up Kenny Soule. By my count, that makes three bands he was in, that should have been more famous. Nantucket, PKM, and DAG. All great bands that seemed to have what it takes to make it big. What happened? Three of the guys in Dag were also in a great cover band called Mr. Potato Head.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

19. steve phillips

The Bad Checks!!

Zen Buddhist 1985 likes this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Allegedly, The Connells apparently put in a sub par performance at a big televised MTV gig. I've never seen it, but I read about it. Even though I was in Chapel Hill during their heyday, I only ever saw them in concert during their later, part timer years.

steve phillips likes this.
  21. steve phillips

I've never seen that MTV thing either, but I saw them several times in their prime, and they were incredibly good live. As good as any band can sound. They are perfect for this list because they were well-known and on the brink of stardom, and then it stalled.

John Rhett Thomas and seed_drill like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Got to see them when Warren got them reunited for one of his Christmas Jams.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's weird that a name this random would ever get used twice, but there was a band called Railroad Earth who cut a 45 for Waggletone Records back in 1994. Pretty sure they have no relation to the bluegrass band of the same name. And Waggletone was run by Big Dave in Valdese, so I assume they were an NC band.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

One of my favourite bands since I saw them supporting Calexico almost 20 years ago. Every album is excellent.

25. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Southern Culture On The Skids is a great mention. Perhaps they do want more notoriety, but having gone through the major label grind that turned them into a gross stereotype novelty band, perhaps you are right. Each time I see them though(about 8 times in the last 6 years), I wonder if this is the last time as the road grinds away year after year. Nevertheless, while all members are great musicians I find Mary Huff to be an exceptional bassist.