‘Northern Exposure’ Revival Starring Rob Morrow In Works At CBS From Original Series Creators, Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

‘Northern Exposure’ Revival Starring Rob Morrow In Works At CBS From Original Series Creators, Cast

By Denise Petski/Deadline

A long-talked-about revival of CBS’ cult fave drama series Northern Exposure is moving forward. The project has been put in development at CBS with original series star Rob Morrow set to reprise his role and executive produce. It hails from original series co-creators Josh Brand and John Falsey, actor John Corbett, Morrow, Ben Silverman and Universal TV.

Written by Brand, the revival centers on Dr. Joel Fleischman, played by Morrow, who returns to Cicely, Alaska, for the funeral of an old friend and finds a new set of quirky characters and reunites with old ones in this continuation of the classic series.

Brand executive produces with Falsey, Morrow and Silverman. Corbett produces. Universal TV is the studio.

The quirky comedic drama series ran on CBS from 1990 to 1995. During its 110-episode run it received a total of 57 award nominations, winning 27, including the 1992 Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series, two additional Primetime Emmy Awards, four Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and two Golden Globes.

Cast and creatives of the original series reunited at the 2017 ATX Television Festival in Austin to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the former CBS series’ premiere, and of course talked turned to a potential revival. “We would love it. [Rob Morrow] has been working, trying to get them to do it… I’m sure we all would agree that we’d love to see it,” Brand said, contending that the series could play well in the current TV landscape. “It’s of a time, but it’s also not of a time.”

Brand and Falsey also were behind award-winning shows St. Elsewhere and I’ll Fly Away.

Morrow’s recent credits include the role of Adam DiGiulio on Billions and a guest role on Chicago P.D.

Corbett is known for his roles as Josiah “Flash” Bacon on FX’s Sex&Drugs&Rock&Rolland Seth Holt on Parenthood.

If the project moves forward, it would be the latest in a string of broadcast TV revivals, joining Murphy Brown at CBS. ABC revived then canceled Roseanne, bringing it back asThe Conners. A Veronica Mars revival limited series also is set at Hulu.

Morrow and Corbett are repped by Gersh.

2. Woo hoo! If Brand and Falsey are in so am I!

3. Rob's career must be in the dumper. He left the series because he had a lot of potential stuff going on.

Kubricker likes this.
  4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

F U to people who are not down for revivals....who knows if this will be any good, but I'm thrilled they're trying.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. Hopefully the writing is up to par for the series. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. I think you're reaction though might be a bit strong. I think it comes down to people being tired of seeing reboots rather than fresh ideas or remakes at the expense of trying something new. Either way, they are going to do this because it provides something of a built in audience.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I love the original show and I will be on board for this one.

Andy Smith likes this.
  7. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I loved this show until that last half season, but I wonder if they can recapture any of that magic this far after. I'll watch. Cautiously optimistic.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  8. dirwuf

Fresh idea or not, it all comes down to execution...was "Everybody Loves Raymond" an original idea? No, but it was done so well, it seemed fresh.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm interested, look forward to it.:)

10. I wouldn't disagree. Just explaining why some folks feel that way. One advantage of reviving an older series is that it allows for continued character development. I think a lot of folks that tend not to like revivals also tend to dislike sequels.

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Favorite show ever, please don't let this suck. I would assume the funeral would be for Ruth Ann since Peg Phillips is the only cast member who's died.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It would be Maggie. Has to be.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Plane crash?

14. dirwuf

Rob Morrow’s tweet today implies differently...

Rob Morrow on Twitter

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Well they won't if she's dead...

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

If Janine Turner is in, then I'm in too.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The Tiffany Network dumpster diving again...everybody take a swig-!

18. dirwuf

Dumpster Diving? They are not exactly reviving a ratings juggernaut here, this was a wonderful show that was ahead of its time...as well as timeless.

guy incognito, arley and kevywevy like this.
  19. Or he realized that NE was by far the best thing he ever did and that he had the ability to revisit it.

20. That's why I'm excited that the creators are returning. The quality nosedived when they left.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well yeah but... that was 23 years ago. And like many actors he discovered he wasn't as hot a commodity as he thought.

At least the next time he got a lead in a network series he was smart enough to stay with it for the whole run.

wayneklein and Solaris like this.
  22. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

I could bear some more KBHR.

kevywevy and Jeff Kent like this.
  23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My daughter Miranda might get to see the baby she was named after all grown up.

Max Florian likes this.
  24. Very true. He's had some good high profile guest starring roles as well lately.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Rob Morrow kind of was Joel in real life... he was difficult and demanding, and didn’t really want to be living away from New York for years on end (even though they were in Washington, not Alaska).

Speaking of Washington, it’s funny the show is returning not long after Twin Peaks, the show they were initially accused of ripping off.

guy incognito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.