‘Northern Exposure’ Revival Starring Rob Morrow In Works At CBS From Original Series Creators, Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks for that, didn't know

2. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Just found this from Janine Turner's Facebook page :(

I have been told It's official - I, "Maggie O'Connell," am not in the Northern Exposure reboot. They want to go "younger." I am shocked. A new generation is fine, but why wipe out the previous? I question why it's ok to bring back a 56-year-old man, Fleischman/Rob Morrow, but not a 56-year-old woman, Maggie O'Connell/Janine Turner. CBS Universal Studios Entertainment

Max Florian and Kubricker like this.
  3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

She's not wrong.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

She's also not missing anything. The world has moved on from Shangri-La, Alaska, and as much as you would love to revisit this magical haven, you have a better chance to reach it in your memories, than in some grand gesture by the wheezy, creaky old Tiffany Network.

The magic will not be there, and neither will the originality and the heart of the show.

Four years back, Amy Sherman-Palladino got a chance to finish her great story about another detoured saga set in a place called Stars Hollow. Four wonderful 90-minute re-visits to what made Gillmore Girls worth revisiting in the first place. And all the money thrown at it, the cajoling to get the cast back, and every little nuance of recognition and wistful memory, seemingly so Rory could deliver that one last line Sherman-Palladino was working towards that whole time.

And people appreciated Netflix for that bold move, rather than seeing the cynicism in a flailing network just dipping their hands into their history and pulling out a picture of a fish, telling everybody they just caught a fish. In Netflix' case, it wasn't going back into the refrigerator to see if there was any of that leftover salmon, turning green in the back of the middle shelf; it was sending chef Amy back into the kitchen to turn off the burner that was still bubbling a soup on the stove.

But that wasn't the real triumph there...the real triumph was, what that allowed her to do next. And that was "Magnificent".

And CBS needs to recognize that, and stop hiring-on "the old gang" to come in and fix their problems. Instead of taking advantage of the nostalgic fondness you have for a thing they had, lost and canceled 20-some-odd years ago...they should be the network that brought you this originality and quality in the first place. You can't be the company that makes television, if you spend all your waking days reminding people of the television you made.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Solaris likes this.
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

So far only Rob Morrow and John Corbett are known to be part of the new series on the acting side. And it is not unusual for the creator of the series to be involved. There could be much that is new. The new Twin Peaks was quite different from the original, even with the involvement of the creator and many of the original actors.

6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

She's the only element here that would get me to watch the reboot. And what's wrong
    with Sinatra all of a sudden? Is he on the "woke" blacklist now too?

musicfan37, ssmith3046 and Kubricker like this.
  7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Has been since the days of color tv, for being a wife-beater. Not that anyone born from the 1970s on up would have heard of him. Unless they are Blade Runner 2049 fans.

rogertheshrubber and Lightworker like this.
  8. Way back in the days of Usenet - when people working on TV shows actually participated in the thread about their show - somebody who worked on NE claimed that Turner could be difficult. He also said that, despite their terrific on-screen chemistry Morrow and Turner did not get along so well offscreen. Maybe Morrow just doesn't want to work with her again.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, I remember that. We'd be watching it and I'd be thinking 'wow, they really can't stand each other??'
    But I also remember lots of talk as the series progressed about Morrow being a prima donna.
    Your conclusion could very well be correct. Without Morrow, the whole project is dead. If he makes his participation hinge on Turner being out, then Turner is out.

carrick doone and kevywevy like this.
  10. Lightworker

That wasn't such a big deal back then. Remember The Honeymooners? It was played for laughs on network TV.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Would it not be more 'woke' to have a show with a 56 year-old woman as one of the three or four major characters?

musicfan37 and Lightworker like this.
  12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

A woman over 40 getting tossed in favor of a young babe is no surprise in Hollywood. Having said that, Janine Turner looks pretty damn good for her age.

musicfan37 and sixtiesstereo like this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

This may be the best thing to come out of this thread, though I find my willingness to go back and rewatch it is dwindling. It was smart, inspiring, touching and exciting in that moment, and even for a few years in reruns, but I haven't felt like revisiting it for a while now. That's really the problem I have with this reboot: the moment has passed. And really, the story was over.

No Static likes this.
  14. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The main thing I would look forward to in a reboot is some new moose walking down the street. What other series do you regularly get to see moose in it?

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...I wouldn't be surprised if they are using that as an excuse for disagreeing with her politics. Pretty pathetic if that's the real reason. But who knows? As someone else mentioned, the rumors were that she and Morrow didn't get along that well on the set.

sixtiesstereo and Solaris like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Always somehow got a giddy thrill from narrating during the theme sequence, "...and he looks this way...and he looks that way..." Guilty, dopey pleasure. :pleased:

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Agree with Jason: the moment has passed.

rogertheshrubber and Solaris like this.
  18. Lightworker

Que?

19. I visited the town where NE was filmed and the first thing I did when I got out of my car (parked across the street from The Brick) was walk the moose's route.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't know what Turner's politics are and really don't care. It's not even worth me looking up. I'm sick of actors voicing their political views, right or left. I would have liked to seen her in the new series.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

With the theme song playing in your head, I hope.

Since reading this thread the other day, I've had that tune stuck in my head. Damn catchy.

kevywevy likes this.
  22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Since Turner is a dedicated conservative, and Morrow is a confirmed liberal, it's not surprising they didn't get
    along. And it "may" explain why she's not on the reboot. But I applaud her political stands.

musicfan37 likes this.
  23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I do too!

24. Dillydipper

I doubt if they spent enough time in their trailers debating economics or first strike capability, for that to be the red line. Sometimes actors just rub one another the wrong way when they work in close quarters.

I for one do not applaud her political anything...because that's how one breaks down the civility of the forum, and I'm sure you don't want that. Save it for Thanksgiving, when nobody at the kiddie table wants to discuss it with you.

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree. I generally avoid any political discussion on the forum. But in the context of the discussion on the thread, her political positions may in fact have affected her being on the reboot. Which is unfortunate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.