‘Northern Exposure’ Revival Starring Rob Morrow In Works At CBS From Original Series Creators, Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I think them rubbing each the wrong way is part of their on-screen relationship, so why not take advantage of it...even bring their different viewpoints into the show.

musicfan37 likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I didn't really see that happening with her publicly until after she was done with the series. I think once you're free from your obligations as a non-polarizing cast member, it's a lot easier to be free to be you. Victoria Jackson, late of SNL, comes immediately to mind.

musicfan37 likes this.
  3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Fringe had a cow.

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Yeah, but you can see cows anywhere. I can drive a few miles from my house and see several different kinds of cows. A moose though, a live one, not just a head hanging on a wall, is special. They're goofy enough to be cute...from the safety of distance.

Maybe it's all the subliminal influence of growing up in the era of Bullwinkle. :shh:

musicfan37 and will_b_free like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Saying you "applaud" someone's political positions is most certainly an indirect way of making a political statement, and therefore against the rules of this forum. It's one thing to talk about whether an actor's political views have affected their career, it's another to express an opinion (positive or negative) on those views.

At any rate, I think it's highly unlikely that her politics have anything to do with the (apparent) decision not to involve her in the revival. A far more likely reason is history of being difficult to work with, and/or history of rancor with Morrow. Whatever the reason, I think it's a bad decision. Even if the intent is to focus on and develop some newer characters too, it is foolish to not involve any former cast members who are willing to participate.

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I don't, but it's a shame what's left of the cast can't be reunited. She was an important part of the show.

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Another aspect that may also factor into the exclusion of Janine Turner in the re-boot could be that she has had too much cosmetic surgery and would look out of sorts back in Alaska (you didn’t see Lara Flynn Boyle’s Donna Heyward in Twin Peaks: The Return, did you?). Those such as Jane Fonda and Meryl Streep seem to have gone the cosmetic route the right way with the best practitioners, but sadly they’re an exception.

There are several actresses who have ruined their careers by going too far in their zeal to look young. The injustice of Hollywood’s casting practices is another subject, but the fact is we humans are capable of harming ourselves if no one talks enough sense into us. For those wanting to see an excellent look at the subject seek out Rosanna Arquette’s documentary Searching for Debra Winger.

Now Janine Turner certainly hasn’t gone as far as Lara Flynn Boyle did, but her look today is a bit too Beverly Hills rather than Cicely, Alaska. And yes, men are capable of similar mistakes, Mickey Rourke and Wayne Newton come immediately to mind.

I should note I am about the same age as Morrow and Turner and know that both men and women can look naturally good at this point in life without surgery. No, we won’t look like we did in our 20’s or 30’s, but we can still appear attractive and vital.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well put.:righton:

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

FWIW, Turner vehemently denies having had plastic surgery, and has had attorneys send cease and desists to websites that make that claim. I don't claim to be an expert on such things, but I don't see anything as obvious as say Courtney Cox or Krista Miller

10. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

They should get someone else to play her. Morena Baccarin springs to mind.

11. DigMyGroove

Many Celebrities deny things which are true. I work in the industry and have rolled my eyes many a time at news stories where actors claim one thing when I know from direct knowledge they are lying. I understand it though, they have big egos and huge insecurities, and feel they must say what they do to protect their position.

Ms. Turner does have fabulous bone structure and that helps a lot as a person ages, but the truth is always in the neck!

As the old expression goes, "You gonna believe me or your own lyin' eyes?

12. DigMyGroove

I just saw Morena Baccarin in A Series of Unfortunate Events, Season 3. With her long hair in the role I mistook her for Gal Godot!

13. joefont

joefont Senior Member

They should probably just kill her off. Her character was a bush pilot after all. Accidents happen!

Max Florian likes this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Well the premise of the new series is that Fleischman returns to Alaska for the funeral of an old friend.... it didn’t occur to me it could be her but then, whose funeral would he be most likely to go up there for?

kevywevy and will_b_free like this.
  15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Yeah just thought of that yesterday as well. 1. Premise is he’s going for a funeral 2. It’s confirmed she’s not in it, A + B = ..

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I could see that they feel like just having Joel and Maggie play out a new version of their opposites-attract relationship as middle aged people would not be very interesting. (Imagine a Cheers reunion with Sam and Diane doing the same thing as 70-year-olds.) But to revive the show and leave out its lead actress seems mean (and leads to the question of why even do it).

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I agree, but going back for her funeral and lamenting about what could have been makes perfect sense.

18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Another CBS reboot? Man, they are really scared now that The Big Bang Theory is ending, aren't they? They have Murphy Brown, Magnum PI, S.W.A.T., Hawaii-Five-O, MacGyver, and possibly The FBI (I'm not sure if it's a reboot of the old 60's show or a new premise.) As much as I love Northern Exposure (I watched it every week live, and even took a trip to the little town in Washington state and saw a small rehearsal), I'm not too keen on this reboot. I hated the last season and was glad they brought the series to an end when they did. Even with Morrow back, I can't see how this is going to work very well without the right writers, creative team and attitude. Why can't CBS come up with something original? Doesn't Chuck Lorre have another subset of society that he hasn't yet brought out and ridiculed?

19. Krista Miller appeared (with her original face, which was perfectly fine) as a young director on an episode of NE.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Enjoyed the show had a crush on Maggie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.