Notable Ladies Known to Have Inspired Iconic Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BostonBob, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

Jane Asher

"I'm Looking Through You" by the Beatles, written by Paul McCartney (Lennon/McCartney)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    JDeanB, limoges and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  2. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Pink Floyd - Vera....Their very short song from 'The Wall' about 'Forces Sweetheart' Dame Vera Lynn, whose songs were very popular and uplifting to servicemen/troops during World War Two.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  3. hurdygurdygal

hurdygurdygal Forum Resident

If you listen to the early demo of Peregrine, there's an extra verse that says "You, and Pattie, too," which makes me wonder if that was inspired by Jenny as well.

It's probably impossible to count how many of Donovan's songs were inspired by his wife Linda Lawrence (mother of Brian Jones's son Julian), including the notable Sunshine Superman.

Turquoise was inspired by Joan Baez.
    Beverley Martyn is in a few of his songs. I read somewhere that Museum was about Nico, but I have no idea if that is backed up anywhere. Fat Angel was named for Mama Cass. Bleak City Woman is about Enid Karl. Ymmv on the notability of those.

J. Frank Parnell and James Forte like this.
  4. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

Beatles, "Her Majesty", the Queen
    The Cult, "Nico", Nico
    Elton, "Candle In the Wind," Marilyn Monroe
    Jackson Browne, "Ready Or Not," about his first wife, former model Phyllis Major
    Jackson Browne, "My Problem Is You," Darryl Hannah
    I tend to think every thing Lindsey Buckingham writes is about Stevie Nicks and vice versa really
    CSN, "Suite Judy Blue Eyes," Judy Collins
    Marvin Gaye, "Here My Dear," about his exwife, Barry Gordy's daughter
    GnR, "Sweet Child of Mine," Erin Everly
    Lenny Kravitz, "It Ain't Over Til It's over," Lisa Bonet

just to name a random few.

5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Linda - Jan and Dean

JDeanB, starduster and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

Mary Austin

"Love of My Life" by Queen, written by Freddie Mercury

[​IMG]

starduster likes this.
  7. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Many (most?) of these posts stretch the term “iconic” a bit.

fun thread nonetheless.

scousette and President_dudley like this.
  8. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Winona Ryder
    My sister inspired It's Not The Same by England Dan & John Ford Coley

9. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

if you can’t remember her, she’s not a notable woman.

10. Prudence1964

both notable and iconic are getting stretched

11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Here's an interesting one. Marvin Gaye's "Try It Baby", first recorded in 1964 with backup by the Temptations was written by Berry Gordy and entirely inspired by his infatuation with Diana Ross. Obviously she's more high profile than any of the women so far name checked here, but the lyrics of the song sort of put into focus Berry's relationship with Diana.

He was a mentor, he was her boss and she was his muse and "star". Their relationship was as personal as it was professional and Berry's goal was for Diana to become as big of a star as she could be.

Ironically, when it was written the Supremes had JUST begun to see sizeable mainstream success and it supports the idea that Diana became Berry's priority very early on. The two didn't become intimate till the following year (1965).

Marvin knocks it out the park though as do the Tempts.

12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Theresa Russell / Athena

Humbuster and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Prudence1964

that’s not a notable woman. Every love song is about someone, but this is asking for famous songs about famous women.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes but she doesn't seem very bright or ambitious. I could be wrong but nothing I ever read led me to believe the opposite at least.

15. Jansson

Jansson Forum Resident

In the context of your avatar;
    Claudia Linnear.

Brown Sugar
    and
    Lady Grinning Soul.

16. James Forte

James Forte Active Member

Chasey Lain

The Ballad of Chasey Lain
    by Bloodhound Gang

Chases Lain is legendary. The band perhaps less so …

j4yheindeo and EdwinM like this.
  17. Makarova

Makarova Active Member

Hi all, I just joined and I can't resist saying WOW! about that Carrie-Anne video with that gorgeous Graham Nash. My god the man was hot.

As for this particular thread, I love the '60s look for women as exemplified by Patti Boyd (and others): the big doe eyes and normal-sized lips.

John B Good likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Well, she managed to snap out of her dull, vacant aimlessness long enough to publish a pretty cool autobiography in 2007 that the New York Times called "a charming, lively and seductive book, and like all good memoirs, it also works as a cultural history," but I'm sure your suspicion that Pattie Boyd was an attractive dolt is a fair one.

:yikes:

scousette and Seabass like this.
  19. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

Well regarding Pattie Boyd, I don't know what your criteria is for being "very bright or ambitious", but she...

1. Was a top fashion model in the UK and Europe;
    2. Became a successful professional photographer with exhibitions around the world, including in the National Geographic Headquarters in Washington, DC. Pattie Boyd – The Official Home of all things Pattie Boyd
    3. Became involved in charity work following her separation from Clapton in the late 1980s. In 1991, she co-founded SHARP (Self Help Addiction Recovery Program) with Barbara Bach, the second wife of former Beatle Ringo Starr;
    4. Wrote a successful autobiography (Reviewing Wonderful Today for The Daily Telegraph, Lynn Barber described it as "absolutely gripping" and a memoir that "gives more insight into the weirdness of rock-star life than anything I have ever read". In the United States, the book debuted at the top of the New York Times Best Seller list.).

Besides, how many of you have been married to TWO Major rock stars and has THREE iconic songs inspired by you? (how ambitious is that?)

(Plus, I have heard interviews she has given and she definitely sounded pretty bright to me.)

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“Whine and Grine/Stand Down Margaret" - The (English) Beat, which refers to the want for the then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher of the UK to resign.

21. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Re: Pattie Boyd's photography--she had a couple of gallery exhibits at the San Fransisco Art Exchange. This page has a bunch of her photos, and the prints aren't cheap!

scousette likes this.
  22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Joan Baez - The Death of Queen Jane

23. dance_hall_keeper

Is Chris O’Dell “notable”? If so, there’s three songs, or so she claims. After all. she is part of the mosaic cover of The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street.

Both “Pisces Apple Lady” and “A Song For You” - Leon Russell and “Miss O’Dell” - George Harrison.

James Forte likes this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

Rita Coolidge inspired Leon Russell’s “Delta Lady”.

25. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

Inspired by, and featuring the guest gurglings of, Aisha Morris.

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.