NOW SOUNDS is issuing Magic Touch: The Complete Mustang Singles Collection by THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by now_sounds, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Also the Grass Roots thread.

Martin Byrne and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  2. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

This arrived today - some of the tracks are a little brighter than on my Mustang mono LP (I don't know if the 45 mixes were different than the same tracks on the original LP) but there is also more detail. Overall, sounds good to me.

cwitt1980 and azideam like this.
  3. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Finally had the time to read the liner notes, and some tracks are stated to have different single mixes than the mono LP, but even those that don't state this sound much better to me, just a little bright in some cases.

azideam likes this.
  4. John22

John22 Forum Resident

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Listening closely to this set, it appears that many of the songs are needledrops, which is fine, but they are merely average/middling quality needledrops, which is typical for the production team involved. I've already been provided with much better ones that have been circulating for years. So unless you're desperate to get your hands on this disc, it wouldn't be the end of the world to let it slip away...

6. Reader

Reader Senior Member

This is a very nice CD and I don't hear any problems with it. It does not sound average/middling to me. I've never heard the songs sound better.

All the Now Sounds releases are above average, with both good audio and informative liner notes. I pick up each release as soon as possible and enjoy them all. Hope they have many more releases in the future.

7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've tried to get one upon release and forget about it. I know that Randy Fuller, the bass player, got one and cranked it
    up on his home system, and thought it sounded great. I have so much of their stuff, that I hated to repeat unless there
    was an overwhelming reason to do so.

8. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

I received this set the other day. Very nice indeed! I have to admit I was never a huge follower of Bobby Fuller, but this was out of ignorance, not for lack of appreciation. I now realize this guy had the goods and was very capable of moving among his influences. You hear a little Del Shannon here, some Buddy Holly there, and so on. But he was no simple mimic as he made some truly unique sounds. When I listen to these songs I feel as if I am listening to the birth of alternative rock.

Fuller obviously had a bright future, which was cut way too short. Elements of later music--think The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield-- appear on this set. Fuller was going places fast.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Greenalishi and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

What’s next for Now Sounds?

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  10. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It’s sad to see so little new releases on the amazing @now_sounds label.

Crimson Witch and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Hopefully mono Fuller albums to follow so i can retire needledrops. Please!

12. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

Steve Stanley - If you are still around I would like to see a re-issue of the Outsiders (the USA group) first four Capitol LPs. A couple of two - fers perhaps?

13. Linnaeus Nightingale

I have been comparing tracks from the Magic Touch collection with counterparts on I Fought the Law - The Best of the Bobby Fuller Four issued by Rhino in 2000, and they really couldn't sound more different. On Magic Touch, the songs are brighter, but not detrimentally so. Indeed, though the Rhino set sounds good, shared tunes benefit by being given more air on Magic Touch. My ears are very sensitive to anything excessively bright, but they do not revolt when hearing the Magic Touch disc. I think the mastering engineer, Alan Brownstein, has elegantly approached the line without crossing it, giving the tunes greater upper register without creating an uncomfortable listening experience.

I don't expect old Mono tracks from the 60s to be free of distortion, which is present in tunes on Magic Touch yet suppressed on the Rhino Best of. The Rhino set still sounds good to me, but in a different way. I will keep and enjoy both compilations. Also, if you have a chance, do get the Ace collection containing the first two albums; inspiring stuff in stereo.

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  14. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. The Now Sounds release was the first to source only the mono single versions and the other collections sourced mostly stereo. Some of the original mono single masters are lost, so for those tracks we had no choice but to access the cleanest disc sources we could find. (There's a disclaimer in the booklet about this.)

15. Linnaeus Nightingale

I had been informed, and my ears tell me the same, that singles on the Rhino set, The Best of the Bobby Fuller Four, are in mono. Are you saying that these are actually the album and not single mono versions, because the latter appear first on CD on the Magic Touch set? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.