Now this is what I call a turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rubberpigg, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Maybe it's the opposite? Mr Lichtenegger has been inspired by other turntable and tonearm constructions in the past. I had (and still have but now in storage) a Pro-Ject 6.1 way back in the 90's and it was called a poor man's Oracle Delphi and for good reasons. It looks much like a stripped down and very simplified Oracle Delphi and borrow a lot of the construction principles from the Delphi turntable.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Do they make a version for people who feel shame?
    :hide:

zphage likes this.
  3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Those who really like TT's and had cash to burn.....which would you chose? The VP! at $40.000.00 or the Kronosaudio at $42.000.00

Avenger Turntables

[​IMG]

KRONOS PRO

[​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

The internal phono has had good reviews, don't dismiss it without a listen.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Looks kinda heavy, concrete floors only? :)

6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Well a good negotiator should be able to achieve a price match.

7. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

Now this is what I call the cure for pops and ticks, poor vinyl quality, off-center pressings, warped records, and poor recordings, etc. Sign me up! o_O

M. M.

sathvyre likes this.
  8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Now THIS is a TT (scroll down to the color pic):

Vinyl Asylum

9. Slippers-on

Great Point! Thanks for chiming in!

10. Slippers-on

How did the 6.1 sound and perform?

11. Slippers-on

Yes sir.....but which would you prefer? I like the Kronos.

Tim 2 and Bolster like this.
  12. Slippers-on

He'd better!

Exotiki and Phil Thien like this.
  13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Heard it and it sounds, pretty close, to a top end CDP.

All the top end turntables, I've heard, have this characteristic but it would blow you away.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The guy I used as a dealer when I lived in NY is the US distributor and had several set up and running at his business. I got to play around with one briefly and when we listened on his main system I can tell you it sounded good.
    A lot of the big expensive tables take you into "love or hate" territory insofar as design and aesthetics are concerned.
    Ideally, when you go for one of these top tier tables, you never have to think about "is there something better" but I've known people who have gone through multiple top end tables as part of their quest.
    I bought a very good table/arm set up in around 2006 and haven't looked back.

Ham Sandwich, DaveyF and GyroSE like this.
  15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If you had shame you would donate your money instead of spending it on hifi ;)

sturgus likes this.
  16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

More a comment on the ostentatious looks of the table than the price, but I get your point!

Exotiki likes this.
  17. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I know that! I just though we could use a chuckle

rischa likes this.
  18. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I actually heard this TT on Tampa audio show, in A room with more then million dollars worth of gear, with mr. Framer himself being a DJ of sorts )). Not sure I was very impressed.. But TT itself looks beautiful...

19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Neither. If I had money to burn, I'd be looking at top-shelf Acoustic Solid, Dr. Feickert, and StSt turntables, all out of Germany. I prefer more classical looks in my turntables.

Classic High-End Turntables – The Classic Line from Acoustic Solid

Dr.Feickert :: Home

Untitled Document - these are Direct Drive.

20. Benzion

I'm lucky enough to own two perfectly wonderful semi-vintage DD tables: a Denon DP-60L w/Jelco 750E 10" arm, and Kenwood KD-500 with Jelco 370H. Both are paired with good tube phono stages, so I'm set there as well.

So, I'm not trying to knock it, especially not without hearing it, but I feel free to dismiss it, under the circumstances, as far as my own situation goes. A while ago, while I still didn't have the Kenwood, I was myself considering the 1500C, but in the end decided against it, based on the internal phono thing, and some reports that the auto shut-off wasn't as good as one would would hope for.

If (or when) I revisit the thought of buying a new DD table, I'm fairly sure the 1200GR would be my first choice, based on price/performance ratio. With a few quality tweaks by KAB, it should be worthy of end-game table for a mere mortal of average means, such as myself.

Bolster likes this.
  21. Benzion

After having owned a Rek-O-Kut idler for a while, I feel totally disillusioned with idlers. Belt and DD only for me, from now on.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  22. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Not my cup of tea at all.
    Terrible design / styling.
    You'd also think for that kind of cash outlay the dude would align the cart with something other than a throwaway printed protractor.

bever70 likes this.
  23. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I have a Thorens TD 124 and an SME 10

I love spinning vinyl a lot. If I had huge amounts of money boiling in my pocket to spend in turntables, I would have a Thorens TD 124 and an SME 10, maybe a 20. Class is class, those huge industrial machines on steroids weighting like a car and occupying square meters of floor space maybe sound 0,0001% better than my rig, but they are so eye offending to me that they would ruin 100% my music experience.

Of course, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. So if someone thinks those monsters are beautiful go for them. As my grandmother said: "dove c'è gusto non c'è perdenza"

zphage likes this.
  24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Deliberately tacky, deliberately cumbersome. If you were hoping for an obscenely expensive way of sucking the joy out of what should be a simple pleasure in life, this is the turntable of your dreams.

25. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When people talk about how a turntable sounds, they are obviously talking about listening to the music during playback. For LP playback, the turntable part is purely mechanical and shouldn't really be part of any sound discussion unless the manufacturer really screwed up those mechanics, i.e. didn't spin the LP smoothly (wow & flutter), didn't isolate the motor (hum), placed the stylus in the groove wrong or caused the stylus to track incorrectly (poor fidelity). An ideal turntable should allow the music coming out of your speakers to be 100% a result of the cartridge, stylus and what's cut onto the LP.

Anyone who says that turntable A sounds better than turntable B, needs to understand that any turntable can sound terrible or great depending on how well it is set up. I'm sure someone could bungle setting up this monster turntable and force it to add all kinds of coloring to the music.

Catcher10 and William Bryant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.