Now this is what I call a turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rubberpigg, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That for me is not a turntable, my idea of a turntable is an EMT 930st. That is a turntable, friends.

John Buchanan and Jimi Floyd like this.
  2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Benzion likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Since you won't let it go...

Your grasp of English expressions isn't quite there. Saying you're betting insinuates you already know you're right. If I say "I bet you won't like these speakers", it's because I have a real good idea you won't with very little chance to the contrary.

What did you lose? The debate. Your so-called data is anecdotal evidence in a thread. Very conclusive data, there. :laugh:

Oh, and it's "amateur hour" ; not "immature hour". And it wouldn't apply here either.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Kronos Sparta is an excellent sounding table and not stupidly expense. In these day of mega priced tables the Sparta is 24K.
    At one time I thought about it when replacing one of my tables but ultimately went with a SME 20/3 simply because of the complexity of the Kronos.
    If I ever replace my Avid it would be in the running since it’s been proven now to be reliable, four years ago after a number of tweaky tables I wasn’t adventurous.

scoutbb likes this.
  5. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

As someone who is well grounded in mechanics and has a pretty good grasp of physics I fail to understand what the counter rotating platter could possibly do. Would someone PLEASE explain that to me? I really want to understand where my gap in knowledge lies.
    Thank you.

BillWojo

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

7. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Another great choice. I forgot about that one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Slippers-on likes this.
  8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

....or the Technics SL-1000 R
    [​IMG]

jusbe, bluenosens, snorker and 8 others like this.
  9. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Now that's what I call a turntable! Alllll business, baby!

snorker, beowulf, DaleClark and 3 others like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If you think betting means you know the answer then Im afraid that what you said about my English is quite ironic.
    The certainty of a bet can be anything from low to high risk but it can not claim to know a loss or win, otherwise its not a bet.

I stated the example wasnt solid data. Im convinced you actually dont read or intentionally misrepresent. If you see this as competition you should know youve been disqualified long ago.

I actually mean "immauture hour" as thats whats happening, immaturity.

Xarkkon likes this.
  11. John Buchanan

You may not be used to how the saying is used. To say, "I'll bet you miss hitting the next ball" means you think that the person WILL miss the ball, sure enough to place a bet on it that you think you will win. It's a shading that may not be evident to someone whose native language may not be English.
    For example, I would bet that most people could hear the difference between a Rega Planar 3 and Rega Planar 10. Or a Technics SL1200R and a SL1000R. It means I think most people WOULD hear the difference and I'm prepared to bet that they will.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

In an earthquake, my bet is on an $89.99 AR turntable! For better real world isolation, my bet is on the $89.99 AR turntable.

13. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Thoughts: That's a lovely crate! Being seller/shipper, I have constructed a few, ie: a paraplane, Acoustat 1+1, Cello Duet 350 to Mexico City.. I appreciate thoughtful and careful packaging. The turntable is a finely machined masterpiece. I am disappointed however to see the unipivot arm on such an expensive piece. Perhaps it could have real bearings which are less affected by record warps, turntable levelness (we do want it level) and any other dynamic force... and that fat twisted wire, ugh! (SMH)

And... the cleaning method was wrong. People need cleaning training, to know how to clean. Ok I'm making a mountain out of this, but we should always wipe in one direction to not redeposit dust back on the turntable (in this case the platter). Going around in circles as the set up person did, reverses the direction of the towel.. this is wrong!

The system sounds superb, even during the setup. But I am more impressed by the piano. I listened through headphones to get a more accurate feel for their system and room. I don't know if I'd buy this turntable at such a high cost, but it sure does sound nice! Yeah I know... it's over the internet, and I'm listening through (good) headphones... but I have an idea about how good it is.

14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Betting derives from gambling, as google states:
    "Gambling (also known as betting) is the wagering of money or something of value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome"
    As mentioned you can make weak and strong bets depending on the risk although this hasnt been elaborated on much. Its just assumed that Im betting my life on it or something.
    Thats the shading or nuance missed here.

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I noticed the guy assembling the TT is handling his steel ruler without regard to it scratching the TT. That seems somewhat caviler.

16. John Buchanan

Then there would be no point in actually saying,"I bet you can hear the difference between 2 turntables" if there was no certainty of winning the bet. I think the problem here is we're telling you how the saying IS used in English and you're using it literally. The saying would have no point if you weren't sure that you would win.

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ahahaha!!!
    :biglaugh:

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Looks like the space ship from 'The Last Starfighter' movie.
    :uhhuh:
    [​IMG]

19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Work of art

jusbe and rischa like this.
  20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What's most interesting to me is what does it cost to get the job done. If at a relatively low price point a TT can be constructed to spin a record at a precise speed, be isolated from natural vibrations, and track the record, it seems spending more would not be necessary to yield a better result. One thing for sure, since there is a luxury TT category, it does allude to less expensive TTs as being compromised products; yet, I have a Technics SL-1210GR turntable with Shure V15V-MR cartridge, which delivers a sound from LPs which I can rarely distinguish from SACDs of same music, except for the ocassional pop or crackle inherent in the vinyl. In other words, it appears what precludes turntable performance at any price point is the medium itself, the quality of the LP, which makes me wonder how much would perfect pop free LPs cost?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're wasting your time. This guy lives to debate and cannot admit to being wrong even when those more knowledgeable than him about specific topics chime in with confirmation that he's incorrect. Even when #2 on this page is crystal clear.

I BET / I’LL BET (phrase) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

I could bring a dozen pages like this stating what we already know and he'd still insist he's right, somehow. :laugh:

Best to let him believe whatever he wants. He's allergic to admitting he's wrong. :rolleyes:

22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

You were pretty patient with him though, trying to explain usage. So good on you for trying.

I'll bet you never try that again.

bever70 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

The round bit doubles as a helicopter landing pad!

bever70 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

@Strat-Mangler. There are several people like that on this forum, that always must have the last word, even when they are wrong. I put a couple on my ignore list. Those people usually get threads closed.

LakeMountain and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Solottzo: "If You Think $24,000 for a Sparta Turntable is Not Stupidly Expensive........A Salute, Don Corleone"!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.