NRBQ Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

That means a great deal to me. Thank you John!

If anyone knows about this, it would be you.

I've been listening to some unofficially released NRBQ shows from 1973-1979. Duke Ellington's "Rockin' in Rhythm" popped up at a few of those shows and I'm quite sure the current lineup still plays it once in a while. I love their arrangement and take on this tune. I don't think they've ever officially released a version of the song - or have they?

John DeAngelis and Greenalishi like this.
  2. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Hi Mike! I don't think they ever released a version of "Rockin' in Rhythm." It's one of the things I remember them playing back in 1973 or so, and I've always liked their version a lot!

3. Stevey Tarts

Stevey Tarts Forum Resident

Believe it or not, they played that last time I saw them out east!!

John DeAngelis and Mike Dow like this.
  4. John DeAngelis

I'm a believer!

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  5. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

It needs the Whole Wheat Horns, in my opinion (and a rehearsal!)

brownie61 and Frank Discussion like this.
  6. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I envy people who have seen the band multiple times. I know they are heading out west soon. Can't remember a time that they have ever played Phoenix, AZ.
    If they played Phoenix, it was many years ago.

smackeroo likes this.
  7. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

It would be very cool to have a Froggy's Favorites, volume 2. :wave::whistle:

8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I vaguely remember them playing at a short-lived club in Scottsdale in the 90's but I wasn't in a financial situation to attend. Gottta keep hoping! The only time I saw them was at my college in 1975 but had been a fan since 1970.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  9. smackeroo

smackeroo Well-Known Member

I saw them many times back east. Have been in Colorado for 30 years, and they played once, in 1997, in Colorado Springs. Al Anderson participates in a song-writing event, most years, outside of Denver - The Durango Songwriters expo.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  10. josenoruego

josenoruego Forum Resident

Yes, they played at Cajun House in Scottsdale on March 14, 1998. It was a club with an interior that looked like you were on the streets of New Orleans. They also played The Rialto in Tucson the night before.
    I was lucky to catch both shows. They haven't been back to AZ since, but I'm happy they're playing on the west coast again.

Frank Discussion and Jazzmonkie like this.
  11. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Thanks for this information. The late 90's were a busy time in my life, but I wish I had not missed these shows. I was well aware of NRBQ back then. Probably had the attitude that I'd be able to catch them on a return visit.
    Sad that they have never returned to AZ. There are several places they could play while they visit CA this year. The MIM would be one. Except It doesn't have the vibe of a honky tonk. ha ha

josenoruego and Jazzmonkie like this.
  12. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Has everyone heard this? It's a really good cover version from 1981 with a soft lead vocal, meticulous "ooh" and "aah" backing vocals, and a key transposition from the original G up to A that works well. I read about it back in the '80s, but never actually heard it until this worn copy popped up on Youtube last year.
    The singer Tommy J is sort of a mystery, but I suspect he's English based on the Rak label.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  13. John DeAngelis

I hadn't heard this. He sticks pretty close to the Q's arrangement. The synthy-sounding bass dates it a bit, but I liked what they did with the solo. Thanks for posting.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yeah, it's not bad. They clearly wanted to make it sound more like the Beach Boys, which is fitting.

15. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

This pic sleeve shows Tommy J driving right-side, so another piece of evidence that he's probably British
    [​IMG]

John DeAngelis likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Has anyone here heard "Rumors"? I'm thinking of shelling out for a copy of the single because it can't be heard anywhere online.

Also, the Discogs label shot of "Froggy" looks suspiciously like it's made of fabric.

[​IMG]

17. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Rumors is a swamp rock groover with a relaxed feel, more Fergie-ish than NRBQ-ish.

Yeah that Froggy image is a fake on a t-shirt someone made to tease other fans at some NRBQ event, and shouldn't have been posted on discogs. I just disabled it there.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  18. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

If nothing else, the title/composer/artst font is all wrong for the 70s. Looks like a bad digital version of Helvetica.

19. John DeAngelis

I like "Rumors". I've got the 45.

20. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

"Tiddlywinks, baby! My kinda music!"

See NRBQ's once-banned 'Tiddlywinks' TV spot - Goldmine Magazine: Record Collector & Music Memorabilia

21. sluggobeast

sluggobeast Forum Resident

Anyone heard the new reissue of "Tiddlywinks"? It's one of my fave Q albums, and I always thought the original vinyl sounded great, the CD so so (but that was the case with many early CD releases). Gary Hobish has done a wonderful job remastering the old albums, would appreciate your take on this one, both vinyl and CD. Thanks!

Jazzmonkie and Greenalishi like this.
  22. John DeAngelis

I just listened to the CD. I haven't compared it to the original CD, but I thought it sounded pretty great. To me, the 2 bonus tracks didn't sound quite as good as the rest of the album, but it's great to have them there.

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Omnivore just reissued an expanded edition of the Terry Adam’s/Steve Ferguson album Louisville Sluggers.

Terry Adams & Steve Ferguson — Louisville Sluggers – Omnivore Recordings

1. PEANUT VENDOR
    2. OUTER SPACE BOOGIE (Alternate Mix)
    3. SAME TRAIN
    4. MULE SKINNER BLUES (Take 1)
    5. ICHABOD
    6. PLEASE DON’T TALK ABOUT ME WHEN I’M GONE
    7. IT’S TOO SOON TO KNOW
    8. KNUCKLEHEAD
    9. DUTCHESS COUNTY JAIL
    10. SOUTH OF THE ORIENT
    11. HI-HEEL SNEAKERS
    12. TURKEY IN THE STRAW *
    13. BLUE MONK
    14. JAVA *
    15. DUET FOR COUSINS *
    16. HEY GOOD LOOKIN’
    17. ICHABOD (Take 1) *

1. * Previously unissued bonus tracks.

24. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

It's considerably less expensive if you order from nrbq.com

25. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Sorry to be late on this. I acquired the Omnivore vinyl reissue of Tiddlywinks and it is excellent. Gary Hobish and Jeff Powell did a great job on this. I heard some things I never before heard on my old German Line records cd bought in the eighties.