NRBQ Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, Mar 7, 2011.

1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Glad you're enjoying the new "Tiddlywinks"! I'm very happy with the new CD. Those Line CD versions left a lot to be desired.

bibijeebies and Jazzmonkie like this.
  2. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

3. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

Frank Discussion and Jazzmonkie like this.
  4. John DeAngelis

I wholeheartedly agree! Nice selection of songs, excellent performances and great sound! Good mastering too and a nice package design!

Jazzmonkie and Frank Discussion like this.
  5. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

steve and frankie sang unison a lot

Frank Discussion likes this.
  6. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy! Thanks for mentioning it.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. rick harper

my ghod i feel olde. i recall riding the bus from downtown Louisville home and Steve's brother Ricky [we both lived on same street] and my best friend's brother Mike had just bought the 1st NRBQ album from Vine Records, just out. I don't believe I'd heard of them. I didn't care for Merseybeats USA but they told me Steve and Terry used to be with them. I was very impressed a "Louisville group" got a contract w/ Columbia. i think they first played here at an old theatre that became The Guild theatre. It's the first five LPs for me. Many folks seem to have discovered them after then. Yankee Stadium. became a different beast. They got loud. Cool that some of the earliest stuff/outtakes are now making the rounds. Sad the folks that woulda dug that stuff most have snuffed it.

8. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Oh yeah! They aren't a group who do a lot of rehearsing, but they sure did that day. .. They left us to loiter around in the XM building a great long time while they did it. It was worth it...
    [​IMG]

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  9. Frank Discussion

Just got "Up in the Loft" today.

Sounds great!

My only dissappointment is no booklet. I always like to read the song credits.

10. John DeAngelis

Lots of nice pictures in the tri-fold layout, along with the musician credits, but I did notice the lack of songwriting credits. Any particular song that's got you stumped as far as the author(s)?

11. Frank Discussion

Well, I'm kind of lazy ha ha. I've probably got enough of their recordings to identify the writers.
    How about "The One and Only". Is that a song written within the band?
    And you are correct that the tri-fold layout is nicely done.

Anyone who might be hesitating on this release.......It sounds great!

John DeAngelis likes this.
  12. John DeAngelis

"The One and Only" originally appeared on NRBQ's "Wild Weekend" album. It was written by 2 NRBQ members--Terry Adams and Joey Spampinato--along with Andy Paley, who co-produced the album.

13. Frank Discussion

Thanks!
    That was quick.

14. John DeAngelis

I'm usually ready, willing and able to discuss NRBQ! :)

Jazzmonkie and Frank Discussion like this.
  15. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

Apropos of nothing, but I recently got to do some recording with Klem Klimek. Tremendous player and an absolute sweetheart of a guy.

John DeAngelis likes this.
  16. John DeAngelis

I can only echo your sentiments about Klem, who often plays sax and sings with NRBQ. He gets a lead vocal on the newly issued "Up in the Loft" live NRBQ CD.

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Consider me grateful!

Peek-A-Boo was my entry point and your "Peek A Boo Particulars" notes for that wonderful compilation provided context to those timeless songs. I remember thinking something like 'Johnny D must know everything about these guys!'

You pointed out other titles that sent me on a mission to track them all down and then some. It contributed to me becoming a hopeless lover of all things Q. They are my American Beatles.

I've truly enjoyed all of our conversations over the years. You are a joy, just like NRBQ!

18. John DeAngelis

Thanks for the kind words, Mike! Writing those "Peek-A-Boo Particulars" was mucho fun. Getting paid to talk to Terry, Joey and Al about their songs--can't do much better than that!

19. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

Here's the recording. Keith Munslow is an outrageous piano player who also makes kid-friendly comedy / uplifting tunes. We have Johnny Cote on drums, me on bass and guitar, Emily Bawn and myself on backing vocals and of course Klem on the horns. Great day in the studio.

I was supposed to do a live gig with him a couple weeks after this but it got rained out... Hopefully we'll have another shot.

20. John DeAngelis

Thanks for the link! Sounds good! Kind of a New Orleans rhythm section feel on the verse, and I like the harmonies and the way the bridge changes things up! And I like the message of the lyrics! Kudos to all! I'll try to remember to mention this to Klem when I see him and the Q in NYC this coming Thursday.

GMDuss likes this.
  21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not sure if word is out about this, but Joey Spampinato-- yes, you heard right-- is playing with his partner Kami Lyle at Boston Harbor Distillery on October 5. Band includes Morphine drummer Jerome Deupree. Only Joey's second live show since his illness and recovery.

22. John DeAngelis

Nice to see this! Kami is a talented songewriter, singer and musician, and we all know about Joey.

jhw59 and linklinc11 like this.
  23. John DeAngelis

Just saw NRBQ last night in NYC. Klem was with them and I got to talk with him about the session you did with him.

[​IMG]

Mike Dow likes this.
  24. rick harper

25. rick harper

Kami told me in Nashville [Memphis?!] she wrote this after seeing an elvis costello show. i could not believe this wasn't a smash. i have a different "official" video of this, given away at a record store...VHS promo in the bargain bin...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023