Nuggets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PsychedelicWheelz, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Those "Nuggets" / "More Nuggets" / "Even More Nuggets" single CDs also feature a lot of stereo versions, before Rhino turned mono maniac. Isn't progress wonderful?

Yeah, it seemed like every garage group did the Yardbird's "I'm a Man", or something similar to it (that guitar string scratching rave up). Lots of rock bands (like the Alice Cooper group and Aerosmith) made no secret of who their major inspiration was.

PsychedelicWheelz likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'd definitely go for that set!

Glad I passed on getting that one then, I figured out I had most of it in some form, like 97%.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think The Animals and Them were pretty huge influences among the original do it yourselfers, but I'd have to rank the Stones as number one before even The Beatles. It's like The Stooges, Dolls and Ramones going to England in the '70s making a lot of English kids think maybe they could do that!

Not sure The Yardbirds had quite as much of that "I could do that" reaction from American kids. Jeff Beck's playing would be a bit advanced compared to Hilton Valentine, Billy Harrison, Keith Richards and Dave Davies.

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

.....and another thing this set showed me: The Velvet Underground were revolutionary with their point of view but their sound.......a little less so!

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

PsychedelicWheelz and BadJack like this.
  6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Wouldn't a Detroit/Ann Arbor box have been great? I would have bought it.

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

My first spot in any record store is the Misc section......or even better, if they have one, a garage rock section.
    Love this stuff! Absolute favorite era and I feel Guided by Voices, at their (his) best, revived it----combining the best elements of White album Lennon and mid-60s absurdist/surrealist Dylan.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Illinois...plenty of room for The Cryan Shames

cwitt1980 and PsychedelicWheelz like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And Shadows Of Knight.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Texas would be awesome too with the 13th Floor Elevators, Moving Sidewalks, Zakary Thaks, Southwest F.O.B., Bubble Puppy, The Golden Dawn, Fever Tree, etc....

PsychedelicWheelz and sixelsix like this.
  11. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The Lake Champlain region - Plattsburgh, NY on west shore and Burlington, VT on east shore and a 20 minute ferry ride away - had my fave 60s scene... especially since Plattsburgh had two labels that started in 1962 and ran until 67, effectively chronicling the pre-British Invasion frat/surf scene and how it affected the bands upon the Beatles et al's arrival... hear from a roller rink, the same month the Beatles debuted on Ed Sullivan, hear an American band in all its glory with no Fab fingerprints:

12. chodad

chodad Hodad

Just ordered this 6cd box set. Love Aussie garage punk.

[​IMG]

13. YardByrd

Absolutely. Rick Brown of the Misunderstood told me while they loved the Stones and Them, they wanted to BE the Yardbirds... and with their chops they nearly pulled it off. They relocated to London and Rick ended up rooming with Beck. Beck saw the Misunderstood with Campbell on lap steel and told Brown it was the most outrageous thing he'd ever seen. Brown claims that's why Beck got a lap and used it on the Shapes of Things revisit on Truth. Trivia: if you see McCarty in a fringe jacket during the Page era, Brown sold it to him to raise funds as he was fleeing the FBI.

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I ordered that as well.

PsychedelicWheelz and chodad like this.
  15. chodad

chodad Hodad

There was a Fenton Records 2 disc set out a few years ago.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Pretty Things were also an influence.

One of my Facebook friends who was in a successful band back in the day said he and his musician friends didn't argue about about whether the Stones or Beatles new album was better, they argued about whether the Stones or Pretty Things album was better.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  17. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I used an IZotope plug-in app in Adobe Audition.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Even if a band DID want to be the yardbirds, the singer still wanted to be Mick. I mean who in the heck was idolizing Keith Relf? For my money there were a lot of singers copying Mick that wound up being even better than Mick, himself - especially Dave Aguilar of the CHocolate Watchband.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They liked the bad boy snotty attitude image the Stones had.

20. YardByrd

Angus Young for one idolizes Keith Relf. Direct quote (he saw Yardbirds in 67 and Zeppelin in 72): "When I saw Led Zeppelin it had seemed to tone down a lot [from the Yardbirds] and I always liked the Yardbirds' thing, their approach, better. When I saw Led Zeppelin maybe I was disappointed because I expected more. I think the singer grated on me a little. He'd sing like he was picking his nose and he was more concentrated on swiveling his hips than singing. I'm not knocking Zeppelin. I just expected more because the Yardbirds had a great singer in Keith Relf. He didn't dazzle you with his hips. He concentrated on what he was there for - to make a bit of rock n roll."

Yeah, it's chalk and cheese, Plant isn't Jagger or vice versa but the thing is some folks DO like Keith Relf as a singer. And rate him highly. I do. He's perfect for the Yardbirds. I love Van but he wouldn't fit in the Yardbirds.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I never understood why they left off a few of the songs from the big box set. I have all three box's of the Nuggets, plus individual vinyl.

22. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

They're up to three now, and I love 'em all! Even the 80s songs are good! But I couldn't call that garage-rock.

23. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

It's pretty "garage-y" in places...but yeah, there's no one genre I'd call all those songs.

Just a great compilation of music - I haven't heard the 3rd one yet, but it's on the way!

24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Hot Smoke and Sassafras by The Bubble puppy would have definitely fit in!

25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

yes it would - incredible that it was a top 20 US hit. I don't remember ever hearing it on the radio, I only discovered it like 30 years or so later. It has one section that sounds exactly like the Allman Brothers - before there even was an Allman Brothers.