Number of turntables sold by year (chart)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Stereophile: Some Groovy Data
    Some Groovy Data »

[​IMG]

From the article:

The graphic above was created with data provided to me by the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). I understand that this data cannot possibly account for every single turntable sold in any given year, but I believe that this is the most accurate account of data currently available to us. . . .

When looking at these figures, it is important that we understand how wide the "turntables" category really is. The jump in 2008 is likely connected to the start of Record Store Day, and the spike in 2015 clearly reflects the monumental comeback of vinyl.

Beyond that, there are many more unanswered variables. Is there a direct correlation between turntable sales and the audiophile population? What percentage of these units is used for DJing? How many of these units are Crosleys sold by Urban Outfitters? What about the number of used sales and trades? What about the rest of their setup? Do they care about sound quality? What is the ratio of affordable quantity versus less affordable quality in these numbers? What demographic is responsible for most of these purchases? And so on. . . .

SandAndGlass and KTM like this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's a ton of Crosleys:cheers:

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

certainly the dj'ing issue would have entered the picture much earlier than 2 years ago so that shouldn't be that much of a factor in the mix.

4. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Okay, so that jump from 2014 to 2015 is impossible, right?

kevin5brown, OneStepBeyond and eddiel like this.
  5. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I grew up with vinyl and after many years apart, picked up a new turntable in 2013. Now I am thinking of getting a second one to have in my living room.

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

By any means, it is hard to fathom a jump from 61 to 1,480 (in the thousands), even with Crosley's it doesn't seem possible.

Beyond that, it doesn't seem probable. Everyone that I see these past few years is into streaming and only streaming.

It would be curious, where they get their data from. Most manufacturer's would not likely release sales figures. I doubt that many stores would either.

I would like to see that data superimposed on a graph along with new record sales.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think it's impossible that 1400+ t/ts were sold in a year, but I agree a jump of 61 to 1480 in a year looks suspect. I the data might need some looking into.

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

We all know LPs have made a huge comeback, so it only makes sense that Turntable sales have also increased. I am one of those folks who went digital (stream/download), but even I bought a Crosley just for s**ts & giggles for the very few LPs I own, and won’t part with.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love the spin of me turntable.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's actually 1.4 million turntable sales for 2015 (that metric is in thousands).

I know B&N and UO probably starting selling turntables around that time, so maybe it could explain some of the sales numbers. But that just seems like a huge jump to me, in one year.

Assuming 122 million gross sales in 2015 (going on the next graph in the article), that's about $87 average per turntable using the 1.4 million sales number.

This actually could explain the jump, again if the major retailers started selling cheap turntables around the same time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I get that LP's are making a big comeback. a point that I was making in my post was, just how big?

If someone were to lay out the cash to purchase a new TT, wouldn't they, buy at least one record every other month or so?

That would relate to six new records each year. So if there is a 24x incresase in TT sales, there should be an increase of 146 times record sales over that same period.

We need to view both data sets on the same graph. We will see the before and after more clearly and accurately.

If companies are upping manufacturing and everything that is needed for a 24x increase in manufacturing and we find that, these new TT buyers are buying to listen to used, which I primarily do, then manufacturing is heading down a dead end road again.

I will be pleased to see new record purchases, that means more yummy used records for me to pick through in a couple of years. Currently, I can't just walk in a used record score with the intent of scoring any particular album, but there are always albums, enough for me to pick through. Most are from the the 60's and early 70's.

Used CD's are $2ea on average and they are newer but there are a lot featuring music from the 50's through to 90's. At least, that is what I am finding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.